It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold Mine Holds Life Untouched By The Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Bacteria living without the benefit of photosynthesis derived from the use of the Sun's energy? Yes indeed and what makes it even more weird is that this bacteria was found around 4 kilometers deep and trapped in basalt rock.

www.newscientist.com
The first known organisms that live totally independently of the sun have been discovered deep in a South African gold mine.

The bacteria exist without the benefit of photosynthesis by harvesting the energy of natural radioactivity to create food for themselves. Similar life forms may exist on other planets, experts speculate.

The bacteria live in ancient water trapped in a crack in basalt rock, 3 to 4 kilometres down. Scientists from Princeton University in New Jersey, US, and colleagues analysed water from the fissure after it was penetrated by a narrow exploratory shaft in the Mponeng gold mine near Johannesburg, South Africa. The shaft was then closed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The reason why I find this to be quite compelling is the fact that this form of life can live so deep below our planets surface without the aid of the Sun.

If we can find this occuring on Earth, then who is to say that the same phenomena isn't happening on other planets? And for that reason I find this to be very exciting!

Related News Links:
chronicle.com
www.sciencenews.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bacteria Found Two Miles Underground

[edit on 20-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

[edit on 20-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I also believe that they found organisms in comets and meteors too!!!!!

new topics

join