It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stronach asks MacKay for Apology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Liberal MP Belinda Stronach has requested the Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay for an apology after he allegedly referred to her as a dog. MacKay is denying the comments, and so far I have heard nothing on an actual apology. I would be surprised if he did offer an apology. Remorse would indicate guilt, and well that could be a huge detriment to his political status. Referring to any woman as a dog would deffinately hurt your political career.

Liberal MP Belinda Stronach rose in the House of Commons on Friday to ask her former flame Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay for an apology after he allegedly referred to her as a dog -- a remark he has denied making.

"Yesterday during question period the minister of foreign affairs used a very inappropriate word to describe me. This is not the first time he and his party have revealed their true colours regarding respect for women and politics and how chilling this behaviour is for women who contemplate entering politics," Stronach said, raising a point of order.

Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While the government was being peppered with questions about the new Clean Air Plan, Liberal MP Mark Holland says a Liberal jokingly asked MacKay about the impact of pollution on humans and animals: "What about your dog?''

According to Holland, MacKay motioned toward Stronach's empty seat and replied: "You already have her.''

Would a comment of this sort hold any immediate rammifications on his political career?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Especially when 11 Liberals come forward to say they heard him say it... as claimed on CBC radio in the last hour regardless of what the Hansard shows and what he claims not to have said in Parliament. Decidedly unstatesperson-like eh.

Victor K.

43'

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Meh, it's a case of a guy saying something about his Ex:

It wasn’t actually a word, but rather a reference allegedly made Thursday in the Commons.

The barely audible exchange was caught on an audio tape, with one MP asking “what about your dog?” and someone responding: “You have her.”

Source

I call my first wife "The Beast of the East". Little here imo.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Ex or not, our MP's should watch their lip when in the public eye. Behind closed doors, say what you wish.

I believe an apology is in order.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Ex or not, our MP's should watch their lip when in the public eye. Behind closed doors, say what you wish.

I believe an apology is in order.

I don't. Remeber, she dumped him last year. Is he human? I've yet to see anything other than he is. He was actually hurt when she dumped him. Just because he's an MP, he can't get one off? Damn, we all do it.

I can't believe I'm defending a PC MP.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Not to split hairs, but Belinda didn't actually dump MacKay. She just didn't give him any forewarning of her party switch. She was actually stupid enough to think they could still date while on opposite sides of the floor.

It was a tacky thing to say, and a perfect example of why it is never a good idea to date someone you work with.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Just because he's an MP, he can't get one off? Damn, we all do it.

Hell, I believe were all entitled to one or two and without a doubt we all do it. But we shouldn't do it in our work place, especially if we are an elected official. I would like to think our MP's carry themselves with a certain level of professionalism, and comments like this have no place in the House.

If this were to happen at home, it would not be an issue. But it is the location that creates a problem.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Upon further reflection, it's not the actual reference to Belinda as a dog that is disturbing to me. It's the fact that he lied about saying it. In order to apologize, he would have to admit that he lied. The admission of lying about something like this could hurt him.

Peter MacKay needs to grow up, get over his failed relationship and stop making disparaging comments about the women in Canadian politics.

Remember, this is the same man who told Alexa McDonagh to 'stick to her knitting'.

[edit on 21-10-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Upon further reflection, it's not the actual reference to Belinda as a dog that is disturbing to me. It's the fact that he lied about saying it. In order to apologize, he would have to admit that he lied. The admission of lying about something like this could hurt him.

It must be the protocol of politicians. When they fail to use their heads and stick their foot in their mouth, they double time the process and put their asses that much deeper. If a politician made a mistake and immediately stepped up and said, "You know what, I F'd up!" I think I would have a new found respect for them.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Uh, CTV has tape... so does CBC... so does CPAC... listen to it (it'll be on the 'net in the next day or so MSM) but the Hansard (the official record of Canadian Parliament) shows - NOTHING.

Time for an upgrade on the hardware side Hansard-wise, go top-drawer digital... in Parliament record it ALL, 100% of the time; you're "in session" you are 100% accountable, 100% of the time. Enough of he said, she said histrionics of pride unworthy. Should we trust our politicians to keep their word? Not unless those words are documented... it's like huntin' ET's without a butterfly net or a clue.

Could go either way right now... I'm sure glad I'm not Peter "The Package" MacKay right now... Hmmm, I wonder if Condie will have a "fueling" stop out Gander-way after her trip back from Nippon/Chinoise/CCCPv2.0? MacKay has them all "right were he wants them". LOL. Bunny-rabbit stew in that boy's future... or perhaps eating crow? To serve man? LOL.

Will Harpo allow his only "real" competition for the helm of "The New Conservative Party of American Canada" to go down in flames? I would. Hmmm, how about Rona? I would.

Does it move the public mind's eye away from Afghani, Rona's "Enviro-bomb Surprise", etc?... Hmmm, I smell a rat pack... the least of which is Peter "Principle" MacKay... BS has much bigger fish to fry... this is just the appetizer... someone has made Poppa Stronach "notice" - the money will flow like Niagara now - cubic freakin' Peta-dollars, Euros and Greenbacks and Yen. The "Bank of Frank" just went Defcon 3 and Frank is coming home to Aurora; woe be-tide to those who mess-with a man's daughter.

And it's all messed-up in the private and public lives amongst the background of total national and international transformational-dynamism, 'bout as close to stalemated chaos of partisanship/interests-other-than-public ever. We get to watch.

The loonies are truly at the helm on most levels... on all sides. I'm really, really glad that Canadians can depend on each other as normal citizens and neighbours much more than we seem to be able to count on our "elected" choice of leader's...

Unlucky and myopic and uninspiring circumstances of design over on the right, on the left? Even more bizzaro, and all can't seem to give Canada away quick enough or get elected in a majority.

MacKay is just an horderve, a "nice light-snack" and he's shy on ante... like a bite-to-eat before going out on a weekend bender...

Victor K.

43'

[edit on 22-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   

If a politician made a mistake and immediately stepped up and said, "You know what, I F'd up!" I think I would have a new found respect for them.

If a politician actually admitted to a mistake, I would fall out of my chair. Then I'd be somewhat impressed with them. MacKay probably has a week to apologize and then the screaming for his resignation will begin.

Hmmm, Harper-MacKay dynamics - MacKay was the leader of the Progressive Consevaties at the time of the merger, wasn't he? Harper probably isn't going to go out of his way to protect the only real challenger to his leadership position. He didn't even make MacKay Deputy PM.

The Bank of Frank at Defcon 3 - That's bloody hilarious, Victor.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   

If a politician actually admitted to a mistake, I would fall out of my chair. Then I'd be somewhat impressed with them. MacKay probably has a week to apologize and then the screaming for his resignation will begin.

Why do politicians think that two wrongs will actually make a right? Fess up and cut your losses, hell you might come out of it with a few new supporters.

Do you think a scandal like this would be enough to call for a resignation? The scene if the incident is the main focus here, which should negatively effect his career.

Hmmm, Harper-MacKay dynamics - MacKay was the leader of the Progressive Consevaties at the time of the merger, wasn't he? Harper probably isn't going to go out of his way to protect the only real challenger to his leadership position. He didn't even make MacKay Deputy PM.

Ol' Stevy boy has all his ducks in a row doesn't he. The Liberals are falling apart at the seem and his biggest competition in his own party likes to refer to women as dogs. Life is good to be a Harper.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The Liberals are falling apart at the seem and his biggest competition in his own party likes to refer to women as dogs.

He refered his EX as a dog. I've said worse about my ex. I'm sure my ex said worse thing about me, don't care. Am I the only divorced person here?

Life is good to be a Harper.

Not if Dion wins the Liberal leadership.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
He refered his EX as a dog. I've said worse about my ex. I'm sure my ex said worse thing about me, don't care. Am I the only divorced person here?

But it is the location of the comments. I can respect him not respecting her as a person, but inside the House and as a MP he should be granting her the respect she deserves. If they weren't ex's and he referred to her as a dog inside the House, would you support him in that comment?

He can choose to call whomever he wants, whatever he wants. But it should be on his time, behind closed doors. Not on our time.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   

If they weren't ex's and he referred to her as a dog inside the House, would you support him in that comment?

Nope, that would be totally wrong. Then he would be talking about a woman, not an ex. Big difference. TRUST ME.

On a side note, I get paid by tax dollars, do I have to watch what I say 24/7?

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I think were going to just leave this one at that intrepid.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   

[Do you think a scandal like this would be enough to call for a resignation? The scene if the incident is the main focus here, which should negatively effect his career.

I really don't think something like this should be enough to force him to resign. That won't keep the other parties from calling for his resignation, however. That's what opposition parties do.

I've said plenty of nasty things about my ex. Unlike MacKay, I'm not going to lie about it. In fact, let's put it on the record: My ex is a self-absorbed, whiny jerk who blames others for his problems. I'd call him a dog, but dogs are cute, cuddly and loyal.

Now I'll sit back and see if any of you call for me to resign as FSME.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   

I believe your position is safe Duze.

However, if lets say intrepid was your old sugar daddy. You insisted on referring to him as (something negative yet funny) in the staff forum. Would they tell you to pack it up and do it behind closed doors?

I think so.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
How could anyone possibly say anything unpleasant about my pretend ex-sugar daddy, Intwerpid?

*slaps self on wrist and notes this is how rumours start* :shk:

I'm just kidding! Intrepid rules, in a platonic sort of way.
And I think you're right, chissler. I'd probably get in a bit of trouble for that.

Perhaps we could somehow get our MP's to adopt the T&C of this site?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The Three Amigo's for the Liberal Candidacy?

It could work.

I'm thinking if an alternative thread is required for intrepid and his ex's. I can see some solid discussion there. He's only teasing us with the surface of this issue.

I think he has a story to tell.

(Damn Threadkillers)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join