It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life untouched by the Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I found an incredibly interesting article with regards to a bacteria that exists without the benefit of photosynthesis. The bacteria live's in ancient water trapped in a crack in basalt rock, 3 to 4 kilometres down in a gold mine in Africa.

The bacteria exploits hydrogen gas to turn sulphate (SO4) molecules from rock into hydrogen sulphide (H2S). It is the energy-trapping equivalent of photosynthesis. The energy of radiation, which makes hydrogen gas energetic enough to form these bonds, replaces the energy of the Sun.

Other sulphate-eating bacteria have been found in ocean sediments, volcanoes and oil deposits. But all have either received some chemicals produced by photosynthesis, or it has not been clear whether they were trapped and dying, or flourishing.

In my opinion this could also be happening on far away planets too. Even though this is a very simple life-form, it is still life existing without the benefit of sunlight.

A very compelling article can be found here:

Bacteria without Sunlight

[edit on 20-10-2006 by JohnnyAnonymous]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
There's already a thread about this.

Bacteria Found Two Miles Underground.

Incidentally, I realised I actually started it after I started
this post.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Thank you for the post Johnny; however, iori has an existing thread on this topic.

Fragile Earth ยป Bacteria Found Two Miles Underground

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I would ask that everyone please add to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you.

Closing ...

[edit on 10/20/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

join