It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two explosive devices found in apartment in KC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is breaking news, so there is not much info yet. All we know is that there was a silver box with a trigger attatched to it that they have detonated, and a jar with Arabic writing. The appartment is near a High School so there are several students not allowed to leave school at this time.

Here is a link to channel 9 news here in Kansas City.

Will post more when I hear more.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Authorities were investigating a suspicious package on Newton north of 87th Street (near Bally's Total Fitness) just before noon Friday. After an x-ray of the material, police say it is a confirmed bomb.
KSHB news for more.

Here is some more information. It is a confirmed bomb. They have detonated one, but say there may be another.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Holy crapolie batman. Now they have totaly changed the story and are saying that there was a suspicious package found that turned out to be a bag full of charcoal and sugar.

What the HECK!!!!!

Whey the hell did they have hazmat out there and why were they washing the streets if it was just a bag of charcoal and sugar????? Why the heck did they say there was a confirmed bomb?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
And why did they say that it was detonated? The last I heard charcoal is not an explosive device when mixed with sugar. Next thing you know and we won't be allowed to bring sugar on an airplane

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
A suspicious package is allways detonated if the contents cannot be assured - at least in my UK / N.Ireland experience. The EOD(Explosives and Ordanance) people in Belfast once spent a half day dismanteling a bomb that turned out to be composed of washing line - the maxim better safe than sorry is the first rule of EOD work. It doesnt matter what it turns out to be - especially if your the guy up the front having to examine the object.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
FYI - Sugar is an important component in certain devices and I can assure you that its pressence in certain situations will be treated with the upmost suspician.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Well, Silk is right. Watched the news last night, and they said there was a package out by the mailboxes that looked similar to a camera case. There were no adresses found on the package, and no one knows where it came from. The maintnence guy called it in. They did the xray thing and saw wires and what appeared to be a bomb. So, they detonated it by "smoking??" it - have no idea what that is but thats what the lady said. Opened it up and found a plastic bag with some charcoal, and a jar full of some sort of a sugar based substance. There were papers with arabic writing in there as well that they have flown to Washington to find out more about. The whole process took over 5 hours. The news lady didnt talk about the possable second bomb they had just mentioned on their website, so I guess we will never know about that one.

Silk, Is sugar really an important component??? I know I am going to sound like a fool saying this, but charcoal and sugar.....it sounds familiar. Do those two things really make something? I remember my dad mentioning something like that a while back when people were making homemade bombs. There was a big stink about it on the news and he - being an ex marine - smarted off and said it only takes ...........cant remember really I was too stunded to hear that come out of his mouth lol. But I thought it had something to do with sugar (syrup?) and charcoal. Does anyone here know? I think he was talking about napalm or something.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
What does the jar with arabic writings say? Im on a cell phone and have to log in everytime i look at the links.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Dont know. All they said is that they took it to Washington to be analized.

I would be interested to know that as well, but somehow, I doubt that we will find out.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Here is the update from fox4 news in Kansas City

Fox 4 news

The FBI is analyzing the substances and the Arabic writing for more information.

"We'd like to know what legitimate purpose there would be to have a box of that nature containing substance of that nature left on a corner just sitting there," Jeff Lanza with the FBI said.

Sources said the items in that package are indeed some of the materials used to make a bomb, but, it's hard to say just how serious a threat this may have been.

It looks like the substances and the writing are off to Washington to be analized.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
chemistry.about.com...

this could be a link that explains something

new topics

top topics

join