It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive number of US naval forces heading for the Persian Gulf

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Hmmm, is it just coincidence that an Argentine destroyer is taking part in this exercise and then this story breaks today: news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Its called a training exercise...happens all the time in various places of the world. Sometimes it happens in a spot that is hot, sometimes it doesnt. Many times these exercises are planned well in advance so if the area it is being held in happens to be hot at the time, it may not have been hot when the plans were first introduced.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Sounds like they are lining up all the hardware to be in place after the fixed November elections.

I expect something to do down in December or January... maybe while people are eating turkey etc.

They desperately want this war and it is going to happen whether we like it or not.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
Hmmm, is it just coincidence that an Argentine destroyer is taking part in this exercise and then this story breaks today: news.bbc.co.uk...

yep, sort of proof though that the Iranians (administration) are fascist animals. But its America that is the great satan, of course.

[edit on 26-10-2006 by Peyres]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 02:10 AM
link   

He [Ahmadinejad] also commented on the deployment of the Nimitz class nuclear aircraft carrier USS Eisenhower to the Persian Gulf: "This is also one of those things. I say right now that your minds should be at ease. Two aircraft carriers are coming, so what? Now some in Iran are shouting that two carriers are coming... Actually I believe the fact that they're coming shows that nothing is going to happen. If they leave the area then that is dangerous -- that reveals that they have plans."

Source

To keep the thread updated I'll post news I find related to the subject, regardless of the question whether it is just an exercise or not.

[edit on 27-10-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peyres
yep, sort of proof though that the Iranians (administration) are fascist animals. But its America that is the great satan, of course.

just curious where you got that from?
seeing as these fascist animals unlike the saints the americans are havent invaded soverign countries to spread there way of life, real facist

also on note there is no proof Iran was behind the attacks

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

Originally posted by Peyres

just curious where you got that from?
seeing as these fascist animals unlike the saints the americans are havent invaded soverign countries to spread there way of life, real facist

also on note there is no proof Iran was behind the attacks

I haven't said America isn't facist. I'm trying to say that Iran isn't this utopian, brave, anti-imperialist, tolerant nation that lefties make it out to be.

[edit on 27-10-2006 by Peyres]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

He [Ahmadinejad] also commented on the deployment of the Nimitz class nuclear aircraft carrier USS Eisenhower to the Persian Gulf: "This is also one of those things. I say right now that your minds should be at ease. Two aircraft carriers are coming, so what? Now some in Iran are shouting that two carriers are coming... Actually I believe the fact that they're coming shows that nothing is going to happen. If they leave the area then that is dangerous -- that reveals that they have plans."

Source

Silkworm

It is based on the Russian SS-N-2 Styx missile, and has a maximum range of 95 km, with a 513 kilogram payload. Silkworm missiles are 7.36 metres long, and weigh 2988 kg. They can be launched from semi-mobile (towed) launchers or from ships.

Iran claimed the capacity to manufacture HY-2s and other antiship cruise missiles
indigenously. It is currently estimated that Iran has about 100 HY-2 missiles on eight to ten mobile missile launchers deployed on the north side of the Straits of Hormuz. ( information on quantities might not be up-to-date)

Source

Kowsar

4 April 2006
During war games in the Persian Gulf, the Iranians test a Kowsar missile, which they refer to as a "super-modern flying boat." This is a land-to-sea missile that is designed to skim the surface of the water. The Iranians claim that the Kowsar can avoid radar and that it is impossible to scramble its guidance system. The Kowsar is thought to be similar to a Wing-In-Ground Effect vehicle. [Note: This craft was designed by the Russians to carry anti-ship cruise missiles at 300 mph at an altitude of 10 feet.

Source

Noor / C-802

Iran received about half of the 150, 80-mile-range C802s ordered from China before the supply was frozen in 1997. In the early 1990s, Iran purchased the 30-mile-range C801 missile from China. The C802 closely resembles France's Exocet missile, but the French manufacturer, Aerospatiale, denies any technology exchange took place.

Source

If Ahmadinejad's words actually contain a message like the article indicates, then what is the plan he has in mind?

US led war games/exercise will start on Thursday 31 (next week on Halloween); as already stated, both US and international presence will be great.

We don't know as much as Iranian officials do; it's the second time within a week they are publicly speaking about US naval movements, something they have never done before. What if Iran expects an US attack or war in the long term to be inevitable, and therefore takes it chance by surprisingly striking the US/international fleet first? I don't have as much naval knowledge as some here, but I am sure the fleet would not be able to defend itself against a full scale Iranian missile attack.

Iran could create a second Pearl Harbor, it would shock the world, but simultaneously boost support for Iran among rogue states and some Islamic countries, not to speak what physiological effect it would have on the Western world. It would also be very threatening to Saudi Arabia, where a the possibility of an Iranian supported coup d’état cannot be ruled out.

Besides, Iran would be capable of cutting off oil exports from the Gulf area by mining the Strait of Hormuz, which would lead to total chaos throughout the World and prevent the US fleet from escaping. I'd especially be curious what China's response would be should Iran decide to continue supplying them with oil.

Bear in mind that the above scenario is purely speculative.

PS Sir Wing Commander, do you know whether the deployment of US minesweepers to the Gulf Area is a normal procedure?

[edit on 27-10-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Interesting perspective MV.

I don't know much about the military actions going on in the Persian Gulf, but a lot of what you cited seems very plausible.

I think it would be death for Iran, but how long and how much damage would be done in the process is another thing.

How much & who benefits from an attack like that? That is where the perception would gain ground.

good post

posted on Oct, 27 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
A question - surely GWB wouldn't / couldn't launch attacks before these elections just to bolster his support?

Really not too sure when these elections are in November, how deployable these forces are but US Presidents (and other western leaders) have used military action before to deflect attention from troubles at home (Clinton / Sudan, Thatcher / Falklands etc etc)

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
To my knowledge (an mind you I was not in the Navy, even though I have done alot of reading and research on naval warefare) Minesweeping vessels have NOT normally been a part of a US Carrier Battlegroup, but this has changed in the past 5 or so years and I would imagine at LEAST one minesweeper has been deployed into the gulf since the 91 war. The Iraqis at the time had deployed several mines to defend against a Marine landing in Kuwait. 2 US ships were damaged by mines, the USS Tripoli quite extensively and at one point was at was feared she could have been lost.

With the gulf being a choke point to the worlds oil, I would imagine 1 or 2 minesweepers are normally present. However: if there was an increase in this, like a whole minesweeping squadron deploying, then you might consider something was up, even if it was just the US being proactive for fear of Iran mining the straits of hormuz.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Minesweepers have been forward deployed to the Gulf for a few years.

We used to see them all the time in Bahrain, when we'd pull inport.

But yes, they are not normally part of a Carrier group.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
How would they be able to put mines in the straits. Do you think the US would allow that.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
Sounds like they are lining up all the hardware to be in place after the fixed November elections.

I expect something to do down in December or January... maybe while people are eating turkey etc.

They desperately want this war and it is going to happen whether we like it or not.

Do you have any written proof that the elections are fixed. And how do you know they want this war. Do you have political connections that allow you this information. Or is it your best guess. I would likle to see an article on these subjects if you can make them up.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   

TEHRAN: Iran has called the US-led war-games in its backyard “adventurous” and said the region would be better off without US military presence.

Vessels from six countries including the United States began a naval training exercise Sunday off the Iranian coast in the Persian Gulf aimed at blocking smuggling of nuclear weapons and related components, the U.S. Navy said.

"We are watching their movements, very carefully,'' Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini told reporters in Tehran on Sunday.

He said the exercise would not help improve security in Gulf waters, through which a large proportion of the world's oil transits.

A U.S. Coast Guard cutter is the only American ship among the nine vessels taking part in the two-day maneuvers dubbed exercise Leading Edge, which are being commanded at sea from an Italian navy frigate, said U.S. Navy spokesman for the Bahrain-based U.S. Fifth Fleet.

"We do not consider this exercise appropriate,'' said Hosseini in Tehran. "US moves (in the region) go in the direction of more adventurism, not of stability and security,'' Hosseini said.

He said Iran found it "not essential'' for countries neighboring the Gulf to cooperate with foreign forces. "Countries of the region can provide security better than any other party,'' the Iranian spokesman said.

Source

Not to be considered as threatening, but still...

Update on countries participating:

Italy
Bahrain
Australia
France
Canada
Britain
US

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
My theory has been that if you want to know what the real news is then watch the news on Saturday. Yesterday morning there was a statement from the US gov't that the carrier groups were in place to ward off a possible terrorist attack on Saudi oil fields. When my husband and I heard that we started laughing. I mean, unless this massive number of ships are there to deply seal teams and marines what's the point? I don't see how carrier groups can be effective against small groups of terrorists, and launching missiles would only wreck the infrastructure and cost us millions in increased gas prices. Nope something is up and the gov't tried to slide it by us.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Either this is just an exercise.

Or a chunk of the power countries in the world are planning on attacking Iran.

There I stated the obvious

I believe Mdv2 stated Iran shutting down the Gulf for oil exports, this would be total suicide for them. A lot of the world's oil comes through this area. And if I remember correctly, even China said they would respond if Iran did this.

Let's be assured that nothing will happen before the next...8 days. If something does, Republicans are out. If Democrats are elected in, I don't see an approval for any war against Iran anytime soon. And I am voting Democrat

JSR

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
hey mdv2
ive been keeping up with this thread.
thought you might find this interesting. if you haven't already seen it.

debka.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hi,

Yes I've seen it, however, I doubt its credibility. We'll see whether anything is going to happen very soon or not at all

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
To update the thread.

The Enterprise CSG is on its way home, on schedule btw.

The USS Ardent (MCM 12) and USS Dextrous (MCM 13) are homeported in Manama, Bahrain. There are no other additional US minesweepers deployed to the Persian Gulf. With a top speed of 14 knots, it would take over a month for a Minesweeper to get there from their homeport of Ingleside, TX.

The USS Saipan, which is in the Persian Gulf, has a squadron of CH-53s for minesweeping onboard. It is also carrying a detachment of UAVs, and is augmented with several additional small boats. As an LHA, it usually carries mostly Marines, however instead it is only about half full of Marines, with an abundance of 'other specialized craft' instead ranging from small combat boats, 11 meter RHIBs, and 11 meter USVs.

The Iwo Jima ESG is no longer in the Persian Gulf, but the USS Comstock ('___' 45) which is part of the Boxer ESG is now in the Gulf.

The multi-national warships in the Gulf is nothing new, it is only new that the media actually covers it. If you are ever curious about Naval news in the Gulf, google Task Force 150, Task Force 152, and Task Force 58 for information or news.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join