It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this what mechs should really look like?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Instead of giant gundams or armored core fast moving mechs, I believe that the game BF2142 shows what mechs should be, as well as showing what advantages and disadvantages it has in the battlefield. We may not know what the mechs may look like in the future, however many concepts have provide a good view of whats to come.

Heres some images of what they should look and be like...

Maybe the weapons they should carry would be the TOW missiles against tanks or hardened bunkers and are positioned on the side of the hull, a pair of 30 mm cannons against antipersonnel and light armored vehicles on the front of the hull, as well as the remote station CROW system against infantry on top and possibly bottom of the hull. Of course the mech tank would have 2 people on board, one to drive and manned the main guns, and the other to man the station that controls the CROW system that fires the 7.62 machine gun.

[edit on 20-10-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It just looks like MGRex, or one of those giant robots from starwars.

While it's a good idea, I think it would be usless in 95% of terrain. To have something that is bipedal and armoured (weight) would prove to be too many problems than it's worth.
If the ground is unlevel, it would lose it's center of gravity and fall, causing great damage to the system. (the fact that it would be top-heavy doesn't help either.

Still, It's a nice idea.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
It just looks like MGRex, or one of those giant robots from starwars.

While it's a good idea, I think it would be usless in 95% of terrain. To have something that is bipedal and armoured (weight) would prove to be too many problems than it's worth.
If the ground is unlevel, it would lose it's center of gravity and fall, causing great damage to the system. (the fact that it would be top-heavy doesn't help either.

Still, It's a nice idea.
i agree whith you in the wight facter cuz the trunk like legs of the mech whoud limte mobility and be a problem moving just them unless you had a huge hidrolic system which is not visibal on the mech
but the bipedal would alowe it to travers any tirain
but it would requier a huge computer system

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It doesn't look like a SW Walker, because it looks much more stable..
Very broad legs and doesn't look like it'll tip over due to a blast on the sides.
Maybe on the back or front though..
A well placed mine could tip it over though.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Battlefield 2142 OWNS

Love the walkers...

In-game name: Johnny_Rico85 (from starship troopers
im such a geek)

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
^^^

You know what??!!
I've used the Sgt. John Rico nick ages ago when I used play games like DoD, CS, CnC Generals!!..

Found the movie to be totally sh*tty though!

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I honestly think in real life Mechs would be useless sitting ducks, a tank would be much better

Anyway, I am a gamer and a really good player at BF2. I was ranked rank 3000 not long ago .
Can someone tell me if bf2142 is good? I don't have the demo (or the real game), but I heard the demo was terrible?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by PisTonZOR
I honestly think in real life Mechs would be useless sitting ducks, a tank would be much better

Ohhh I wouldn't say that....

The main advantage of a Mech over a tank would be maneuverability.

The tank has awesome maneuverability but can't leap into air, Land on higher ground pick off a target then leap to safety can it??

In addition, a Mech could be fitted with the Trophy system..... to stop all those ATG Missiles.

I would also say that a Mech would come into it's own in multiple environments when tanks are only geared up for certain types of terrain.

On the down side.... those legs are V. vulnerable to a direct assault ... a mech is useless with only ONE leg....

all the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I had a feeling by reading the title you were talking about the BF2142 mech.

The L-5 Resig for me is the better of the two battlewalkers. Having fought in many engagements, the mobility of the walkers for me is hindered by their inability to go over medium height fences and the like, but atleast they can go in the water.

I don't think that the battlewalkers would be able to "leap" as t hat would reqire a large amount of energy and the legs won't be able to support a drop of that much tonnage. But what really helps is the battlewalkers ability to "run". Gets you places ALOT faster.

All in all, it's a great game, worth my 48 dollars I spent on it.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 24-10-2006 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Dropping the center of gravity lower down to between the legs might help it to lower the profile and make it more stable...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
North, isn't that what a tank with treads is?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Shattered, not that low, but somewhere along these lines

Those are just quick scetches by me

Height is about 1.8m, main gun caliber is 120mm and auxliary is 25mm, just so you get the scale right.

[edit on 24-10-2006 by northwolf]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

I don't think that the battlewalkers would be able to "leap" as t hat would reqire a large amount of energy and the legs won't be able to support a drop of that much tonnage. But what really helps is the battlewalkers ability to "run". Gets you places ALOT faster.

They should be able to leap very high in the air indeed... and for that matter hover.

And then land very gently indeed...

All powered by a couple of jump jets....

Jumping is MAJOR feature/benefit of a BAttle Mech.

Runnning is also a major feature/benefit.... however Tanks are not slow. Current top speed of a CVR(T) Scorpion Tank is an average of 82.23 kph / 51.10 mph.

Caught Speeding???

LoL

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This discussion had been on ATS before please research it out.

BUMP

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
To be honest, until it becomes neccessary to have an andro-model, expect to see future "mechs" adopt more of an insect or spider-like assembly of legs. Not only would this allow for greater movement over rough terrain, but far greater stability, and the ability to sustain damage to 1/4 to 3/4 of it's legs before toppling over.

I wouldn't expect to see any two-legged bots acting in a military capacity, because it's not nearly as combat viable as a multi-legged model. In a civilian capacity, though, two-legged models will be more acceptable because they will be more human-appearing, which will make civilians more comfortable. Military, on the other hand, has no qualms about using more intimidating looking machinery.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Question:
a) How does a two legged mech without arms get up after falling down?
b) How does it remain stable after being hit by high impact shells?
c) If it does not have jumping capablitiy, will get trapped in a tank pit trap?
d) Any chance that it may get stuck in mud for being too heavy?
e) Can they take the recoil from firing large shells or are they limited to smaller ones?
f) Is it a bigger target than a tank?

Actually I think there are a lot more considerations when comparing mechs with tanks. Tanks don't do well in the situations mentioned above either but they are much more stable. (Hover tanks are also have the problem of recoil from firing large cannons.)

I think tanks are more cost and combat effective, unless the mech has the agility of a human being or better.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Neon Haze, how would a mech "hover"? What kind of powered-lift would it have?

The thing about giving the mech the ability to leap and hover, is that it will take up far too much space and add far too much weight that just is not necessary. To me, if the mech can step over obstacles, it won't need to leap, tanks however could use the leap function.

The world's premier MBTs move at about 65 mph on highway, 45 mph cross country.

The Scorpion looks like a light tank to me, so I'm not suprised it can reach speeds that high.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Scropion is a light recon tank, not comparable to MBTs...
What would be a realistic top speed for a bibedal and insectoid mechs?
Would 70km/h and 50km/h be sound values?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Something I'm curious about, is why would Mechs in the future
have to be bipedal, I mean they could be quadrapedal, or even
sextapedal (6 legs).

An example from some games of multiped Mechs.

A 6 legged Mech from Earth 2150.

A quadrapedal Mech from Earth 2160. One of the legs is hidden behind the body.

[edit on 10/24/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Something I'm curious about, is why would Mechs in the future
have to be bipedal, I mean they could be quadrapedal, or even
sextapedal (6 legs).

An example from some games of multiped Mechs.

A 6 legged Mech from Earth 2150.

A quadrapedal Mech from Earth 2160. One of the legs is hidden behind the body.

[edit on 10/24/2006 by iori_komei]
or the mechs frome chromehounds their are svevral typs like tracked, bipedal, inverse bipeadal for taking th kick of larger weponds ,hover and mulitleages for the heviest guns and the most kick back

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join