It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most influential games of all time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
By influential I mean that it was revolutionary and redefined it's genre.

Doom, Halo, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, MGS, GoldenEye 007, WoW, and Final Fantasy VII certainly come to mind. I know I'm missing a few, but those are some I thought of at the top of my head.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Tecmo Bowl comes to mind when thinking of sports games. Also the Grand Theft Auto series has drastically changed the way developers make games.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
Tecmo Bowl comes to mind when thinking of sports games. Also the Grand Theft Auto series has drastically changed the way developers make games.

Very true, also I might include the Madden franchise as well when we're talking about sports games.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Dungeons and Dragons? I've never played it, but it appears to have spawned a great deal of children in the form of many current-day MMOs.

Doom basically defined the FPS genre.

The original Zelda set some standards not easily topped.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
IMO the Resident Evil series is responsible for the survival horror genre. But the Silent Hill series took it to a whole new level. I loved both those games and still have the PS1 originals, although a bit worn.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
My top 3 are all PC games.

1) Doom...It wasn't the first FPS, but as someone said, it defined the genre.

2) Diablo 2...The game that almost killed off traditional PC RPGs in favor of action games with RPG elements. Not that I think that's a good thing, but that's what happened.

3) Command and Conquer...Again, not the first RTS available, but its popularity spawned an endless horde of sequels and clones. This is the game that actually DID finish off turn-based strategy gaming, again, not that I think that's a good thing.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
What about Halo? Would any of you consider it to be revolutionary and redefining of the FPS genre?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
What ever happened to the
imortal Pong and Pacman for if it wasnt for those games we wouldn't have alot of rly good games out rite now,
To be the devils advocate:
Halo isn't a game that redisgned the genre be cause it took a parts of good games and then put them together.

What about Grand Theft Auto?

TRw

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Most influential shooter of all time... Contra for the original NES!

I'm aware that later (in the 90s) first person shooters would change things. But it was Contra that got us all salivating to shoot the hell out of enemy soldiers, robots, and alien monsters right?!

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think the original Zelda is most revolutionary game of all time. After the age of Atari, Zelda took gameing to a whole nother level. Mario was great too but felt restritive due to the side scrolling.

Exploring in Zelda is what made the game so great, never before was there a game with such a massive detailed world. It took me a year to complete with no guides or cheating. I left no bush unburned and no rock unturned. I was 10 years old when I got Zelda in 1986.

Alot of people say OOT is the best but I wasnt blown away, I felt Nintendo could have done a better job. The game felt rushed and lacked the dept that ALTTP had, I was actualy disapointed.

TP looks to be shapeing up as the Zelda I've been waiting for since ALTTP.

I would have to give the runner up to Mario 64.

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The most influential games for me is the super mario series on the NES. It completely changed the Gaming world forever. I also agree with GTA, Zelda of course has to be one of the greatest, I have Ocarina of Time and I can say that it is one hell of a game. Others include Final Fantasy on the NES and so on, Doom, Quake, The Sims really changed the PC world, (For me ,mostly) Max Payne and Hitman I thought were excellent games that redefined the word 'shooter', (Earlier Games) Pong, Space Invaders!!!!!!!!!!!, Donkey Kong, Dragon Warrior, Tetris, Sonic The Hedgehog, Gran Turismo, Pac - man. There is plenty more but I'll stick with what I got.

-Jimmy-

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Well seeing that we already named Doom in the FPS genre, I believe that Half Life since it was made has been one of the most influential FPS games of the past eight years.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
A game that has influenced the world?!?

One Word

Pokemon

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
ELITE on the BBC Micro,

revolutionary is not the word

Then Frontier elite 2 on the PC or Amiga (sequel to ELITE)

OMG That Spawnd So many Space Games, Combat, Exploration, trading, Mining,

It was the first Computer model of an entire galaxy, you could fly to any planet you want in 3d And Land anywhere on the ground or at Starports n things, you could fly manually with the mouse n keyboard or use automatic piolot.

I could Hover in jupiters atmosphere n collect Hydrogen for use as Fuel,
Or I could land on any of its moons.

All the planets rotate As they do in real life even the sun you get night n day on the planets,

And when was this game made??? 1993

Elite came out in the 80's

Got to be the Best game ever made Period!

Nothing Today even comes close for Realism and Vast playing area,
get this
*** 200,000,000,000 star systems***

No game has a larger Play world.

Anybody on here Agree?

damm you could even watch a sun set or Fire a lazer near a starport n have the police come and Kick your ***

www.planetmic.com...

www.planetmic.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have to say a few my self as people may have missed some out. Here is goes.

Space invaders probably.

NES
Super mario 1 and 3
Life force salamander (shoot em up)

Super NES

Mario world,
F-Zero
Starwing
Streetfigher 2 turbo
Zelder (i never playted it)
Donkey Kong

PS1

Tekken 1,2 3 and tag
Soul Edge (soul calibre)
(whats that driving game the futuristic one ?)
Grand turismo

N64

Mario and thats it, was a let down everything was just a update.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Zombie Revenge for the Dreamcast. Look it up if you aren't familiar with it.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I don't think anything has spun off as many games or tie-ins as the Mario Brothers franchise has. The only video game character to become more of a cultural icon is perhaps Pac Man. Anything else pales in comarison to a mere game becoming a recognizable image for people who don't even play games.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
You've got to give a nod to the birth of Sports Game marketing:

Dr. J and Larry Bird go ONE ON ONE

top topics

join