It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage Over Children Reciting The Pledge Of Allegiance To The Mexican Flag

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Ok, I'm a bit confused, were they preciting the pledge of allegiance in
Spanish, or were they pledging there allegiance ot Mexico, or some
other mixture?

If they're going to pledge allegiance at all, they should do it
in English, and to America and her constitution.

Honestly, I dislike the whole diversity day thing they had, now had
a middle-school or High School had a diversity day, to learn about
other cultures, I would'nt mind so much.

And why were they speaking Mexo-spanish anyways, this is America,
they should be speaking only English, atleast while in the school.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Ok, I'm a bit confused, were they preciting the pledge of allegiance in
Spanish, or were they pledging there allegiance ot Mexico, or some
other mixture?

Iori, They (facilitators and teachers, NOT children) were reciting the MEXICAN pledge on Mexican Independence Day at an assembly to honor diversity. They were basically saying -- This is what Mexicans do to their flag, much the way we say our pledge and here's what it sounds like...

It's no big deal as far as I can see. It's like celebrating Cinco De Mayo or having green beer on St. Paddy's Day. People need to chill.

I hate "Diversity Day", too.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Oh, ok, thanks BH, that cleared things up considerably.

I still don't particularly like it, but I'm not as apalled as
I could have been.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Funny this thread came up today. In my civics class, we were discussing court cases and how some supreme court cases strengthen and how some weaken certain constitutional rights. You do have freedom of religion and speech etc. (1St amendment.) But the part that has to do with schools is different. This is where the 1st comes into place. The state cannot regulate all the amendments so you can't be forced to say the pledge of allegiance. Never! You don't have to say it, not even stand up. But you must show courtesy, in that you can't take away the right (1st) of others to say the pledge. My teacher had a great quote from a supreme court case, and ill try to find it.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Haha, why would i care what anyone else does to any flag?

I don't even believe in owning land so..... a flag? toilet paper maybe?

apc

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Agreed... if the facts are indeed more innocent than they first appear, this is not so severe. But I still think we should just end all these shenanigans and nuke Mexico. Pleeeeeeeaaaaase!

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Or at least stop the curruption in their govt. Oh wait, crap we're just as bad in america...Damn Current administration.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Agreed... if the facts are indeed more innocent than they first appear, this is not so severe. But I still think we should just end all these shenanigans and nuke Mexico. Pleeeeeeeaaaaase!

Im going to pistol whip the next person who says shenanigans!......

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Or at least stop the curruption in their govt. Oh wait, crap we're just as bad in america...Damn Current administration.

i wouldnt go that far.. Mexico is pretty corrupt.. Drug dealers are running that country.. If you get pulled over in mexico alls you have to do is show your wallet to the cops theyll take bribes.. There is no law in mexico that cant be bent... Here in america certain rights seem to be taken away.. Your compareing apples to oranges...

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...There is no mexico in that. If you want to be part of that country, go back, otherwise you fly the flag in your own yard, or hang it in your house to remember where you came from. This is political correctness gone too far.

I second that...any mexicans giving allegiance to the mexican flag should be sent back and their citizenship instantly revoked. Oh wait, half are not technically citizens anyway.

I do not mind foreigners immigrating to the US , but when they will NOT integrate, will NOT speak english and will NOT pledge allegiance to our flag, its time for them to go home.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Its absurd.

When in your country, do as your country does.

When in America, you pledge allegiance to THIS flag. Not the Mexican flag.

apc

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
Im going to pistol whip the next person who says shenanigans!......

SHENANIGANS! I CALL SHENANIGANS!!

now now people no need for the thread to degrade into another round of Mexibashing. While I do indeed enjoy it, as I have had to deal with the problem trying to break into my own home, this issue had nothing to do with illegals. This was about Americans bending over and taking it in the name of compassion and cultural diversity, while disregarding what it means to be American.

>
think I faster I type than

[edit on 20-10-2006 by apc]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

SHENANIGANS! I CALL SHENANIGANS!!

I bet you do edited... JK Anywas... Thats.. Not.... How.... They did it in the movie!!!!!

[edit on 10-20-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So what exactly does "pledge allegiance" mean?

I've never been asked to pledge allegiance to anything except my family, and as proud as i am of my country the whole concept of staring up at this cloth symbol and "worshipping" it without question seems pretty funny.

I am one of the luckier ppl on this planet that has a fairly real sense of freedom (as should most of you) but this whole xenophobic (dressed as a patriotic) wave has me more than a little worried for our future.

apc

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
One could argue that having allegiance to noone but your own family is a form of xenophobia...

Alas, if you expand the definition of "family" to "countrymen", then no... nationalism does not equate to xenophobia. Having allegiance to your homeland is an allegiance to your way of life... to those who share in your core beliefs.

Pledging allegiance to a flag has nothing to do with fear of "different" people. It is about declaring that you stand with everyone else who stands with you. To acknowledge that your flag symbolizes the greatest way of life. If you feel there is a way of life greater, and you wish to pledge allegiance to the flag of that nation, then the path to take is obvious.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
God forbid anyone ever makes a flag unhappy.

To the people who feel outraged at this act of freedom of speech, would you express the same level of outraged if a school in Mexico were to pledge allegiance to the US flag?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Freedom of speech? This is an AMERICAN PUBLIC elementary school.

They DEMAND equal rights for ILLEGAL mexicans, then they go and have the nerve to pull this off?

Unbelievable, what has our nation come to?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It looks like they are learning about the country, since the lady is dressed in what looks to be traditional Mexican garb. Also, the "pledge" video is not the pledge.. And she is not facing a flag, her hand is not over her heart (no one else either), and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have to read from a script if it was the pledge. Nothing bad going on here.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
That is just so wrong. My kid goes to a school that is mostly Hispanic, but they don't recite any anthem to another country.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
OK, let me see if I get this straight..

A group of volunteer's, demonstrate what they do in mexico for diversity day and there is outrage because of the symbolism??

But Bush calls the constitution itself a "god damn peice of paper", and he is still considered OK???

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you guys fighting the wrong battle?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join