It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seniors- The Working Poor.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I hear what you're saying chissler, oil, or electricity, for heating is a killer for Nova Scotians. If you can burn wood you get some savings. I can heat my house in Ontario with natural gas and it cost me less for the whole winter than it costs for my family for 1 month.

The cost of oil through the winter is a scary thought. A lot of people back home have resorted to the wood stoves and spent the money to have one installed. A few members of my family have done this and it is saving them big bucks. Unfortunately they are not as willing to lend a hand to my grandmother who desperately needs it.

Just recently she applied for relief on oil costs and a government grant which would see her home be redone with new isulation to keep the place warmer. Unfortunately she was rejected because she had an income of about $700 over the maximum permitted. I watched her read the letter which notified her, and was surprised when she didn't go off the handlebars in a tirade. This time was different though, she just dropped the paper and went on as if nothing happened. I could tell she was hurt by this because she has a very small income, and to read that she makes too much money to recieve help was very disheartening.

Her income is only about $21,000/year but she actually has some dependants. Some people in my family just haven't left the nest and it is a serious burden on her. She doesn't have the heart to tell them to leave. So she lives in a constant struggle of bills and cheques.

[edit on 22-10-2006 by chissler]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Elf makes a good point, why don't we help out our folks. We could, a little. My brothers on the other hand are just scraping by. Funny thing with my parents situation though is that if they need help it's my GRANDMOTHER that helps them out. She's a srewd buisnesswoman. She made some amazing investments in the 80's and did very well.

It is important to help our parents out financially, but some of the brothers and sisters were better off financially than the others. I spent hours researching and working with the VA to get my dad in their system. Although he was a Korea era vet, he had no service connected disabilities. Once we got him into the system, his medications dropped from $800.00 a month to $27.00 for a three month supply of each med. We did a lot of the upkeep on the house and yard which saved a lot more money. I drove from Corpus Christi to Jacksonville so I could drive my mom to the hospital every day while my dad was there. My mom never learned to drive. My sister and her husband took out her old oil heater and installed central heat and air.

Originally posted by Duzey
Yes, my grandmother is an exception, both in the fact that she never had to work and that she does not have any financial difficulties and draws on two pensions. And yet, she can still manage to make the rest of us feel guilty for working and not being there for her 24/7. We still love her though.

I understand totally, dudette.
Even on her death bed, my mom was still trying to manipulate us. But we still loved her. I just hope I can get away with half of the stuff she pulled when I’m her age.

I may sound preachy, but my parents have only been gone since February. The pain and memories are still pretty fresh.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The Feds are nailing the Seniors by taxing their income trusts:

'They said they wouldn't touch it,' say those who relied on popular investments
Nov. 2, 2006. 06:54 AM
FRANCINE KOPUN
FEATURE WRITER

On paper, former hospital janitor Ron Cann is down about $18,000, which is more than he earns in a year. Noel Chaney of Vancouver Island estimates he lost about $65,000 and has started to think about selling his house. David and Lorraine Marshall of Cornwall stand to lose about $100,000, and that's enough to make David regret every lawn sign he pounded into the ground for the Conservatives in the last election.

"The big thing is they lied to us," said Marshall, a former trucker, of the government's decision to tax income trusts, a popular investment vehicle among retirees. "I worked for the candidate here, putting lawn signs up and all those things based on this one issue, income trusts.

"They said they wouldn't touch it. This is completely out of the blue."

Toronto Star

Man, they just can't catch a break. :shk:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
One thing confuses me.

Way back when when we had our battles between Upper & Lower Canada, I thought responsible government won? What happened to no action without an equal reaction?

Why can our people be walked all over without any sort of consequence? Why can they make these empty promises during election time, just to kick us in the ass afterwards.

I really would like to lobby for a ballot that contains a No Thanks option.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

I really would like to lobby for a ballot that contains a No Thanks option.

It would be nice to vote for "None of the above" but the system they have in place won't allow it. My former boss, damn smart man btw, asked about this. They told him that if every person but one didn't vote, out of protest, the candidate with one vote would win. They've got us by the ba...., you get the idea.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Our problem is in the system itself. MP's can make promises with no intentions of following through.

When asked why things played out the way they have? Point the finger. MP's are obligated to tow the party line, anything else would result in career suicide. They can't bite the hand that feeds them, and unfortunately in our country its not the people. Its the party.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Normally, I'd be all for blaming our MP's for this, but it sounds like they were in the dark on the changes too.

The announcement from Finance Minister Jim Flaherty was a complete surprise to everyone else when it came just after the stroke of 5 p.m.

-snip-

Conservative MPs were simply told to turn up at an emergency caucus meeting at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday. No agenda. No hint of what was coming.

The prime minister and his finance minister crossed the street after Flaherty's press conference to attend a Tory caucus meeting and brief MPs on the tax changes.

Tories kept tight lid on income trust change

I'm really loving this new 'transparent ond open' government, aren't you?

There is something broken in our government and we need to start trying to figure out how to fix it. I just wish I knew how.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Transparency and Openness.

That honestly got a rise out of me. Not like me to laugh at political jabs.

Maybe apathy is the way to go. Atleast were not contributing to our own demise.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I enjoy taking a jab against politicians once in a while. In fact, I think I'll go take one at Joe Volpe and the Liberal party. I have to spread the love around.

I toyed with apathy for a bit, but quickly moved on and settled for cynical and sarcastic. It helps me cope.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I am posting this here because seniors are poor and probably in desperate need of good shoes. I'm sorry if it's out of place, I'm desperately looking for some info on how to find a pair of Made in Canada shoes that will not cripple.

It is posted in the rant section, but I thought more people might see it here.

OK the entire nation is flooded with crappy made in China buckets you tie onto your feet. Guaranteed to cripple, induce giant blood blisters and flatten your feet. There is one good shoe made in Canada. It is the Prospector Biowalk shoe.

The Prospector Biowalk shoe is a shoe befitting its name. Fine leather upper with a full arch comfortably molded for healthy posture - it is IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND HERE.

The only available retailer is Zappos online who DON'T SHIP TO CANADA.

This is really adding insult to injury. Here we see the subterfuge of the corporatcracy and their underhanded attempts to demoralize, bankrupt and cripple an entire nation.

Prospector has no web-site of their own that can be found. No company contact number available through Zappos. Are they defunct already? No a smattering of their shoes are available through E-bay, if you don't feel the need to try a shoe on before you buy it.

What the heck? Isn't it bad enough they have to derail all manufacturing - they have to attack our feet at the same time. China must be a flat footed nation, inured to the injurious insult of wearing only poorly made shoes, or no shoes at all. Is that what they have in store for us.

Many of you have probably not noticed the sharp and insidious decline in shoe quality since our politicians have decided to run our economies like third world countries - exporting raw materials and importing junk, since you are able to drive everywhere. That's probably the reason they attacked the shoes first. It will only cripple the poor, for now.

I have saved all my pennies for a pair of Prospector Biowalk made in Canada shoes - and it appears they are only available for export. The exporters will not even mail them back to us.

If anyone has a handle on Prospector biowalk shoes - please post it.

Either that or a pair of half-decent made in Canada granny boots.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join