It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miracle benefits of coconut oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I really am only writing this thread to spread the word. I know coconut oil is popular in many countries , but not here in US thats for sure. So if anyone is skeptical about it ,then think again. I never thought an unsaturated fat can help me lose weight. The metabolism and digestion is definatly improved. The oil contains Lauric Acid which aids metabolism to speed up. I lost weight and I havent even diverted from my usual diet thats been the same for years. I eat healthy and get little exercise besides walking and im losing around 3 pounds a week just by cooking with it mostly, and an occasional shot every night. By the way, eggs are amazing with coconut oil.

The other noticable improvement was my skin. It's healthy looking and never dry. Before using the oil ,I always had to resort to lotions or even steroid creams to keep it from drying. I strongly reccomend coconut oil for anyone who wants to eat fried food and no longer worry about fat gain.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Found the following on wikipedia:

During the 1980's, The American Heart Association, found that coconut oil's high saturated fat content was detrimental to cardiovascular health and promoted heart disease. A research study at the Heart Research Institute in Sydney, Australia used coconut oil and safflower oil (high in mono or polyunsaturated fat) in two otherwise identical meals for the study's participants. The study found that:
“...three hours after eating the coconut oil meal, the lining of the arteries was hindered from expanding to increase blood flow. After six hours, the anti-inflammatory qualities of the good cholesterol were reduced.
“...the safflower oil meal seemed to improve those anti-inflammatory qualities. Also, fewer inflammatory agents were found in the arteries than before the meal.”
Although the above study involved only 14 subjects, and it is unclear how the coconut oil used for the study was processed, the conclusion that coconut oil is unhealthy is consistent with prior concerns.
However, some studies in humans and rats concluded that consuming the coconut kernel together with the oil (as opposed to consuming just the oil) reduces serum total and LDL cholesterol.
Other research has shown some promising health benefits for coconut oil. One study demonstrated that lauric acid (the most abundant fat in coconut oil) is highly effective at stimulating Peptide YY (PYY) release and suppressing ghrelin secretion. Ghrelin suppression usually leads to lowered hunger levels, and thus a lowered likelihood of snacking between meals and eating too much during meals.
There are many additional heath benefits of coconut oil put forth by its advocates (see links below under "coconut oil proponents"). However, more rigorous scientific research is needed to verify these claims.

It seems that the weight loss effects would have to do with that peptide YY release, but possibly it wouldn't be too healthy to be consuming coconut oil all the time. (Although that study only had 14 subjects, and it doesn't seem much would be consumed each day, or that it would be much or any worse than other cooking fats used in common foods).

The skin benefits are definitely real when applied to the skin. I use an organic moisturizer during the winter when my skin dries up, and the main ingredient is "coconut fatty oil"...it works better than anything else I have used.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by StreetCorner Philosopher

The other noticable improvement was my skin. It's healthy looking and never dry. Before using the oil ,I always had to resort to lotions or even steroid creams to keep it from drying. .

Its interesting you bring this up.I started using a castille handwash with coconut oil inside it and dont have dry skin to the extent that i use to.I am now considering using it for a body wash.Thats why im thinking of using products by dr bronner since i have heard good things about them but my questions still go unanswered by the company.

join