It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invisibility cloak successfully tested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
An invisibility cloak has been successfully tested. The device redirects microwaves around an object in this case an small copper cylinder.

news.bbc.co.uk
A US-British team of scientists has successfully tested a cloak of invisibility in the laboratory.

The device mostly hid a small copper cylinder from microwaves in tests at Duke University, North Carolina.

It works by deflecting the microwaves around the object and restoring them on the other side, as if they had passed through empty space.

But making an object vanish before a person's eyes is still the stuff of science fiction - for now.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Reality and Star Trek are slowly coming together. It worth noting that the device dosnt yet redirect light.
How long before the likes of the US military takes an interest in this technology ?
Mayabe the US government should invest in technology like this instead of rewarding defence contracts for failure. Assuming a dead end isnt reached in terms of research I could see a cloaking device being used by the like of security firms to hide objects from prying eyes.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Cool stuff

This would be a major breakthrough as soon as it is developed militarily.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yeah it does sound cool, but I tend to question its use in real life.

Imagnine focusing a beam of Micraowaves at a Human.
he would be fried in an instant, yet it is a start.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If you could bend light around yourself, how would you see out of the cloak? Perhaps only the eyes would be visible and unmasked (like the invisibility powerup in Quake).

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This technology has been tested and used by the military. Hear is an aditional sorce.

Cloaking devices are coveted by the military, which can see a new age of stealth technology that hides planes and other vehicles from radar.

More advanced versions could ultimately be good enough to make objects or people invisible.

The prototype was built and demonstrated in the US by US and British scientists only five months after proving it was theoretically possible to pull off the most famous of optical illusions — and without breaking the laws of physics.

sorce

Some people have already seen this technology in use.

I looked up the path and dust/dirt was being thrown up as a vehicle was travelling down it, but there wasn't a damn vehicle on the road! The noise became louder and the dirt being thrown up came nearer but still nothing! I started to think it must be invisible or that my eyes were #ed or the sunlight was wrong etc.... I got out the view of the path, since I was slighly uphill of where the "vehicle" was and went into the undergrowth as not to be seen.

sorce thred

That is a pretty good thred. You might want to read at least the opening post.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

If you could bend light around yourself, how would you see out of the cloak?

A good question actually because if the photons never reach your eye you can't see right? You would have to wear special goggles that allowed you to see other frequencies of light.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
How long before the likes of the US military takes an interest in this technology?

The question you should be asking is how long has the military already had this technolgy for? This being released in the public sector makes me think they have moved on to better things and so they will let everyone else play catch up, again.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Since it currently only deflects microwaves, could this technically protect a person from the effects of a Directed energy Weapon (DEW) ? I would assume so. Typically after a new type of weapon is developed, a counter-measure or defense is developed afterwards.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
First DEWs would have to at least have threat of entering the battlefield. From what I've seen, nobody has those yet... that I know of. It's an interesting concept but what's scary is that they ARE looking for light cloaking devices. Do you know how much our freedoms could be lost if they used the technology in domestic spying? Thank whatever is in the heavens that it's still nowhere refined enough.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
My question is not whether they are dispersed on the battlefield or not. My question was could this cloak disperse the effects of a DEW, whether in the field or in a lab. As far as I know only US and probably Russia and some EU nations have working prototypes, so yes they exist.

As civilians we have to get ahold of this cloak. It is our only way of protecting ourselves from these weapons. I mean with bullets at least you have a chance with Kevlar gaurds and flack jackets. What can we do against a weapon that has no sound and penetrates armor?

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Aww, what happend? Everyone get all scared of the Boogeymen in black coming to get anyone who agrees with me? Really, I dare someone to post an agreement that we need to get ahold of this technology to protect ourselves, even if only slightly from the future threat of DEW's.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Alright Big brother. I know your watching and waiting. Well I am going to speak up for those who do not have the cohones. we WILL acquire this technology, and we WILL use it to defend ourselves from your pervasive new weapons of torture and subversion. All the brainwashing in the world cannot stop you from the onslaught of the people whos minds have been freed.

Hey you know what, I bet this would make an excellent tool for avoiding sunburns and reducimng the chance of skin cancer too eh? Add that to your list of patents. Just allow me to reference it on my list of credentials as a private business consultant. Please please pretty please?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hey here is a thought, could the food in a micorwave be heated without the microwaves actually hitting it? Lets say somehow this device was incorporated in there, and the food is within its field of operation. Would the food still be warmed without actually being microwaved?

new topics

top topics

join