It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Face on Mars is half lit at night

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   

According to Richard C. Hoagland.

What do you think?

BEFORE sunrise!!!!! Who do you suppose is home???

[edit on 19-10-2006 by dgtempe]

[edit on 19-10-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
So it's half lit at night...what are you trying to get at?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Eh,

Is somebody home?

If so, Who? Dont you find it a little peculiar?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Okay now I get it...that is creepy...maybe the aliens are having a party again...you never know...damn aliens forget to invite me to the partay

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Lets go to the source of the image:
themis-data.asu.edu... 03&band=3&stretch=S2&tab=0

Incidence Angle 90.162

Incidence Angle
Derived for the center of the image, this is the angle between the Sun and a "normal" drawn perpendicular to the surface of the planet at the time the image was acquired. A higher incidence angle means that a person standing on the ground would see the sun lower toward the horizon.

So... An angle of 90 degrees means that the sun is right on the horizon. Well, since is a little bit greater than 90 degrees, the sun is below the horizon, wich is consistent with the lack of shadows in the image.
Further more, looking to the context of the image, you'll notice that there are several features that are lit just like the face. Here you go:

Does this mean that all those feature are lit at night? Not likely.

Next.
Basicly, the image was taken in poor light conditions (ie no direct sunlight on the ground, only on the slopes). The reason you see the ground is the sensitivity of the camera sensor. This sensor, however, has a limited dynamic range and therefor, if you want to see details on the ground, the lit slopes will be overexposed (only white patches). That's why all the slopes apear so bright.

Another weak point of his story is that the lit half is not the half wich is similar to a human face.
So, in my opinion, there is no artificial light on the face.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
The picture is supposedly taken at night before any daylight whatsoever.

Is Hoagland lying to us again?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
The picture is supposedly taken at night before any daylight whatsoever.

Is Hoagland lying to us again?

Hoagland lie?
Nah, surely not ....... What's amazing though is how so many people will happily believe anything he makes up, and yet totally dismiss everything everyone else - including those who actually know what they're talking about - says.

If Hoagland told people their neighbour was a Martian, they'd believe him. Because obviously, when their neighbour denies it, it only proves their neighbour is lying and therefore must be a martian ..... That sort of power is frightning really!

[edit on 20-10-2006 by Essan]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hoagland is such a desperate soul. And so limited. He's approaching decade three on this one bump almost 400 million miles away. There's a lesson to be learned here - if you're going to make a career out of a whipped up theory, make sure all the "evidence" is unreachable.

[edit on 10-20-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Ok guys, so you think Hoagland makes things up. Then why do many here take as fact evrything that John Lear comes out with? Some of his claims are more outrageous that Hoaglands stuff! Both ask you to believe because they say it's true.

[edit on 20/10/06 by jimboman]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
Ok guys, so you think Hoagland makes things up. Then why do many here take as fact evrything that John Lear comes out with? Some of his claims are more outrageous that Hoaglands stuff! Both ask you to believe because they say it's true.

[edit on 20/10/06 by jimboman]

I don't.
But I would like to point out one specific difference...I don't see John Lear trying to make a career out of his kooky theories.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
What has been failed to be mentioned, of this picture, is that it is a composite. It is two pictures assembled to be one.

When you composite this eastern-illuminated Odyssey image with a black-and-white western-lit Mars Surveyor view

You are not seeing what truely is.

What you are also not mentioning is, the other land masses withing the same picture (not shown in this thread), also have this reflection of the sun, at the same angular surfaces.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe in life outside Earth, I do believe there is more going on than what we are told ......... I do NOT believe, however, in producing (ie: make up ones own pictures) any false or misleading information in an attempt to sway opinion.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Well, i posted this, not believing it, really, i just wanted to get your opinions.

If this is so...who's at home???

If this isnt so? What the heck is the matter with Hoagland? Delussional?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
What you are also not mentioning is, the other land masses withing the same picture (not shown in this thread), also have this reflection of the sun, at the same angular surfaces.
Misfit

Well, I actually said that and posted even an image

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apass
Well, I actually said that and posted even an image

Well, I actually need to drink much more coffee before posting, heh.

Sorry about that ......... maybe, in retrospect, it needed to be brought up again, since it (yours) was not addressed; I see it as you , as blatant lack of information.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
YaaAAAaaaAAHhhh!! Not Agaiiiin!!!

What's Hoagy dancing around for? It's clear, plain, and simple! Just the morning sun reflecting off the surfaces. No big deal. Or is the late night alien binge not over yet?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well, something's goin' on up there:

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Since i see at least two other posts from the Hoagland website, i would say that lots of you go there, so dont shoot the messenger;

He (Hoagland) specifically said that these were nightime pictures.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Since i see at least two other posts from the Hoagland website, i would say that lots of you go there, so dont shoot the messenger;

He (Hoagland) specifically said that these were nightime pictures.

I'm sure it was night some where.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well, Vall, you got something there. :shk;

Even the callers agreed it was a nightime picture!!!! Ahhhhhh, i hate quoting idiots whose whole life revolve around that which cant be proven.

Sorry, everyone.

Let me just ask this: Why do you think its a daytime picture?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join