It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by gallopinghordes
I'm not sure how to deal with these kids.
posted by gallopinghordes
I was asked to lead a 4-H club for troubled kids. I have help from 2 other adults I work with. Now here is my issue I'm not sure how to deal with these kids. How do I reach a kid who has been hurt often brutally by the adults who should have been protecting them? Folks I'm not a mental health professional I'm just a Mom I only know how to love them.
My co-leaders and I know that often half of our group will be juvenile delinquents and we know we can't save them all if fact we will be lucky to save one. For many the program that I'm working with is their last chance these kids are hard core. Help! [Edited by Don W]
Originally posted by YoBrandonRaps
It's great to see someone who actually wants to put the time and effort into seeing what would actually help these kids.
I used to work as a counselor at a live in school for children with behavioral problems.
What I've learned in dealing with situations like this:
- Show them you are in charge and not afraid to use your athority if needed
- Show them you WILL NOT abuse this athority
- Show them you would rather get along then fight... it's better for everyone
- Show them respect, and they will usually show you the same
- Be consistant. Most of these kids come from backround where nothing is stable. Be stable for them and don't be afraid to let them open up to you, and show them you actually do care.
- DON'T play favorites!!!! I've seen it time and time again, teachers who play favorites and lose the respect of all the other children, while the favorite child runs about thinking he can get away with anything because they are the favorite.