It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We've lost battle for Baghdad, US admits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
what a shame that the Iraqi people have to suffer even more under the control of the american government.

A day after George Bush conceded for the first time that America may have reached the equivalent of a Tet offensive in Iraq, the Pentagon yesterday admitted defeat in its strategy of securing Baghdad.

The admission from President Bush that the US may have arrived at a turning point in this war - the Tet offensive led to a massive loss of confidence in the American presence in Vietnam - comes during one of the deadliest months for US forces since the invasion.

Yesterday the number of US troops killed since October 1 rose to 73, deepening the sense that America is trapped in an unwinnable situation and further damaging Republican chances in midterm elections that are less than three weeks away.

In Baghdad a surge in sectarian killings has forced the Pentagon to review its entire security plan for the capital, Major General William Caldwell, a US military spokesman, said yesterday.

"The violence is, indeed, disheartening," he told reporters. The US has poured 12,000 additional US and Iraqi troops into Baghdad since August only to see a 22% increase in attacks since the beginning of Ramadan.

www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 19-10-2006 by Mehran]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
My brother is there right now in Baghdad. He isn't defeated. If you would like to visit him, I bet he would be glad to show you what defeat looks like. But we know that won't happen.

This is a political war and has been for a long time. The US military is not defeated and will not be defeated.

The politicians are running a war with a bad policy, and holding back the military when the military should be running the show. If you want a war keep the freaking politicans out as long as possible. Don't fight a half war.

Iran is supplying weapons to help with the problem of Iraqis dying, but you will always leave that out won't you.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Mehran is pro-Muslim, anti-American at any cost; that's his/her agenda.

The coalition hasn't "lost" the battle for anything, just like the insurgency hasn't "lost". It's time for the attrition to end and to bring 'em home.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbob
My brother is there right now in Baghdad. He isn't defeated. If you would like to visit him, I bet he would be glad to show you what defeat looks like. But we know that won't happen.

This is a political war and has been for a long time. The US military is not defeated and will not be defeated.

The politicians are running a war with a bad policy, and holding back the military when the military should be running the show. If you want a war keep the freaking politicans out as long as possible. Don't fight a half war.

Iran is supplying weapons to help with the problem of Iraqis dying, but you will always leave that out won't you.

I have respect for people serving in for their country but your brother is fighting an illegal war and in no time hopefuly the insurgency will take advantage of kicking you out. You have no proof that Iran is supplying weapons to the insurgency...just allegations!.

"I suspect there's nothing out there," the commander, Lt. Col. David Labouchere, said last month, speaking at an overnight camp near the border.

Other senior British military leaders spoke as explicitly in interviews over the previous two months. Britain, whose forces have had responsibility for security in southeastern Iraq since the war began, has found nothing to support the Americans' contention that Iran is providing weapons and training in Iraq, several senior military officials said.

"I have not myself seen any evidence -- and I don't think any evidence exists -- of government-supported or instigated" armed support on Iran's part in Iraq, British Defense Secretary Des Browne said in an interview in Baghdad in late August.

www.bestandworst.com...

[edit on 19-10-2006 by Mehran]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astygia

The coalition hasn't "lost" the battle for anything, just like the insurgency hasn't "lost". It's time for the attrition to end and to bring 'em home.

I'm not muslim but I do have the policy of being against your government.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran

I'm not muslim but I do have the policy of being against your government.

That's not what Astygia said, he said that you are pro-muslim, meaning you're sympathetic to them.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
OK people be-careful how you use your wording, here.

I am An American born raised American but with Spanish roots.

I am against the war in Iraq and against US policies in the middle east that has prove to be a fiasco and a death maker in that region.

Does that makes me a muslin sympathizer or anti-American.

Astylgia I love your post but I am a littler bit hurt on this one.

And yes we won the invasion of Iraq, we did what the administration wanted to do take Saddam out.

But after that our own government let that country go to CA-CA, DO-DO and that is the results of bad policies and is costing the lives of Iraqis and American troops.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The problem in Iraq is unfortunately the same problem that emerged in Vietnam, it's turned into a political war run by politicians, not by Marines and Army with boots on the ground.

Things are bad and the Democrats love this and want to keep things ugly in Iraq, its the only way they can possibly win the next election and they just love to broadcast any US soldier who does anything wrong or any civilian who gets wounded by US fire and smear the headlines with it for their own political agendas. Where are the headlines when a new school is opened or new hospital constructed?

Take the GLOVES OFF and let our TROOPS run this show!

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by super70

Take the GLOVES OFF and let our TROOPS run this show!

How!!!!!!killing all the Iraqis in site?

Or you forgot that US wagged the war, invaded that country and then destabilized the entire nation with not control over the borders.

US is not the Knights in the shinny armor we are to the Iraqi people the enemy.

So should US troops become the makers of the genocide of the Iraqi nation and their people?

Or should we only target Sunnis and leaves the Shiites? or because is a sectarian war anyway lets take both groups and leave the country to the kurdish.

You know no matter how you put it is a mess, is a mess and What a mess

[edit on 20-10-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What we have created in Iraq, is a nation that will forever be out to see revenge, for what we did to their country.

Id assume the ‘democratic civilians’ are outnumbered by loyal religious armies, who double as an Anti-America Army.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I hate to be the one to break it to you Marg, but war is about breaking things and killing people.

The enemy (insurgents) are killing people and breaking things, so our troops should be responding in overwhelming force to crush it, unless of course you would like to see this dragged out for years and years.

And the enemy in Iraq are not the women and children or shopkeepers, its the remains of Saddam's thug army that we put out of business. I would say they are mad, we put them out of their cushy jobs of brutalizing their own people and now they are forced to survive like the rest of the poor population that slaved under Saddam's Iraq.

No army in the history of the world has spent more money and gone through more trouble as to spare innocent lives in a war then the US did in its invasion of Iraq.

In Vietnam and WWII we simply carpet bombed entire cities to smoldering rubble. So believe that if the US wanted Iraq destroyed, it would have been much easier and we wouldn't have lost a single American life.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by super70
I hate to be the one to break it to you Marg, but war is about breaking things and killing people.

Who broke the nation? who wagged war to Iraq, did Iraq wagged war to US? then who made the mess in Iraq out of just going into that country under false pretenses.

Jus remember who the enemy is. The next time a Nation decided to take out our president and invaded our nation without provocation.

The enemy (insurgents) are killing people and breaking things, so our troops should be responding in overwhelming force to crush it, unless of course you would like to see this dragged out for years and years.

Who made the insurgency? who was the insurgency before Saddam. The insurgency is a result of a War wagged out of spike to a sovereign nation.

Because you know Iraq was a sovereign nation with a dictatorship, but also so many other nations in the world and many friends of the US also.

And the enemy in Iraq are not the women and children or shopkeepers, its the remains of Saddam's thug army that we put out of business.

No they are not the enemy invasion, destruction, devastation, chaos, has made them the enemy.

Most of Saddam elite Army was taken and killed by US forces in the beginning, the rest of the army a very well trained army that could have been used to help control the population with the guidance of the US were left with not jobs to defend for themselves and their families.

Guess what they took side, each site is either Shiite or Sunny and now they are at war.

No army in the history of the world has spent more money and gone through more trouble as to spare innocent lives in a war then the US did in its invasion of Iraq.

Remember your broke it you keep it, and US and our nation own the Iraqis their safety and their well being but nobody seems to care much.

Our administration destroyed their nation, left them with no jobs, change their way of life and let the unruled go to make trouble.

In Vietnam and WWII we simply carpet bombed entire cities to smoldering rubble. So believe that if the US wanted Iraq destroyed, it would have been much easier and we wouldn't have lost a single American life.

If US destroyed that nation anymore that has done creating a genocide of people our nation will be alienated from the rest of the world.

Just remember that we will be fighting much more than what we are fighting right now with the hoax of war on terror.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Astylgia I love your post but I am a littler bit hurt on this one.

Why? This isn't a blanket statement; that's Mehran's agenda marg. Look at some of this other posts; Iran cures AIDS, Iran creates new Supercannon, Iran Publishes a book...is like Iranian Pravda.

Maybe a better wording would have been pro-middle east/anti America, but in any case this was indicative only of the OP, not everyone else's feelings as a whole.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Actually Marg........Iraq did invade Kuwait, a US ally in 1990. So Iraq did 'wage war' against the US.

The 1990-91 Gulf war ended in an armisist, so technically the US was still at war with Iraq throughout the 1990's....only Clinton didn't do anything about it, except have 17 UN resolutions get passed which Saddam ignored.

How many UN resolutions should Saddam of been allowed to ignore before there were consenquences?

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
Actually Marg........Iraq did invade Kuwait, a US ally in 1990. So Iraq did 'wage war' against the US.

Really said who, you?

Tell my husband that he was in the first gulf war you know, he was in the middle east for 18 months.

So now the justification for the mess in Iraq is geared to the kuwait affair.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Why? This isn't a blanket statement; that's Mehran's agenda marg. Look at some of this other posts; Iran cures AIDS, Iran creates new Supercannon, Iran Publishes a book...is like Iranian Pravda.

I cannot say I have seen them, I believe that I may have come upon the one on Iran cures AIDS but on the ATSNN version of it.

Is certain threads that I rather do not get into if they are no to my taste. This one is been on the ATSNN so it has nothing that shows to me to be bias or anti-American and the thread started a muslin sympathizer.

I guess you have seen his other threads and can make the connection.

I guess I misunderstood your post.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
So Marge......Kuwait is not a US ally?

Iraq didn't invade Kuwait?

new topics

top topics

join