It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Specter-Cheney NSA Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Specter-Cheney NSA Bill Provides Sham Oversight, Congress Must Be Independent of the Executive

WASHINGTON - The American Civil Liberties Union today strongly rebuked new legislation offered by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter (R-PA) that would give the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court "optional" review over the National Security Agency’s controversial program to spy on Americans. The legislation was announced this morning and was drafted in close consultation with the White House.

The ACLU and other organizations have filed challenges to the legality of the NSA program.

"This Specter-Cheney bill is nothing short of a capitulation by Chairman Specter to the White House," said Anthony Romero, Executive Director, American Civil Liberties Union. "The ‘review’ contained in the bill is nothing more than a sham. The president could still choose to ignore the optional court oversight on the program. This new bill would codify the notion that the president is not bound by the laws passed by Congress or the Constitution. It would reward his abuse of power."

This doesn't sound good, people! Things seem to be turning from bad to worse at a bad clip! I encourage everyone to review the ideals laid out before us in this new bill!

Check it out here! ----> www.aclu.org...

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hum interesting,

This bill was drafted in July. But is anything else about it, anything new?

I think that it will die in congress unless is brought just like the last bill in hurry before congress elections.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Everything you see happening, is a precursor to the dictatorship that will soon be upon us.

They will come up with new rules and regulations everyday, including enemies of the state combatants to ensure that when the poop hits the fan in a big way, a way that no American ever dreamed, a dictatorship......people will coward and remain silent.

That is what all these new daily mandates are for.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
thankyou for the link...

In Pace
resi

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Hum interesting,

This bill was drafted in July. But is anything else about it, anything new?

I think that it will die in congress unless is brought just like the last bill in hurry before congress elections.

marg... I understand that it's not "new" news... but I haven't seen many, if any at all, posts concerning the bill. I had received an email today from the ACLU beinning the request for signatures to send to congress to quelch the bill, though.

www.cdt.org... - there's not much there, but it's updated.

Here's some more: forum.laptopamerica.net...

This Specter-Cheney bill is a bad deal for Americans as the FISA system gives the President all he needs to protect us from terrorism. The Specter-Cheney bill gives Americans no protection against the Presidential abuse of power. Thus the need for 3 branches of government with strict rules on what those divisions can do. Bush won't be there forever and who's to say what a Hillary Administration could do!

Sign The Petition Against the Specter-Cheney Bill

Thanks for your thoughts, but I don't find the fact that it was drafted back in July very comforting.

[edit on 10/19/2006 by Infoholic]

new topics

top topics

join