It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter to Become our Second Sun?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   

When NASA announced its �Galileo into Jupiter� option, among those to publish immediate, serious objections (and later to repeat them on �Coast to Coast AM�) was an engineer named Jacco van der Worp. Van der Worp claimed that, plunging into Jupiter�s deep and increasingly dense atmosphere, the on-board Galileo electrical power supply � a set of 144 plutonium-238 fuel pellets, arrayed in two large canister devices called �RTGs� (Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators � see image and schematic, below) � would ultimately �implode�; that the plutonium Galileo carried would ultimately collapse in upon itself under the enormous pressures of Jupiter�s overwhelming atmosphere�

Triggering a runaway nuclear explosion!

Van der Worp further argued that this fission reaction might well initiate a much larger thermonuclear fusion reaction in the deuterium (heavy hydrogen) making up a significant percentage of Jupiter�s atmosphere � ultimately, igniting Jupiter as the solar system�s second sun!

www.enterprisemission.com...

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It's going to take a BFN *big #ing nuke* to ignite jupiter, it will take a massive chain reaction to ignite all the heavy hydrogen. I'm not too concerned about it yet.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
That thought had never crossed my mind. That the satellite may have caused serious damage. I didnt even know there was a new black spot. The author of the first article used good logic and reasoning. Hopefully all the aliens from jupiter dont think we are attacking them. What a mess that would be.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Someone's been reading or watching too much of 2010.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 11:27 AM
link   
There was never enough nuclear material to ignite Jupiter... and Jupiter's hydrogen is the wrong sort to burn. The amount of energy from those pellets is far less than a single bolt of lightning from the storms on Jupiter (lots and lots of lightning on Jupiter.)

And lightning has yet to ignite the planet.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Although there wasn't any way of it igniting Jupiter, www.enterprisemission.com... assuming the math is right, makes a good arguement for the dark cloud. I'm going to have to look more into it to confirm the "facts" presented on the page, but free-ow, we mighta nuked Jupiter

EDIT:
Oh, and I read the thing on badastronomy.com, but nothing in there really refuted what was presented in the other website. It just said the plutonium pellets would be dispersed by the heat. www.enterprisemission.com... presents evidence that this would not happen. As I said before, I'm going to have to confirm enterprise's "facts", though.

[Edited on 12-31-2003 by junglejake]

posted on Jan, 1 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
ALL of our nukes would be just a flyspeck to the HUGE hunks of rocks that hit Jupiter on a regular basis if anything was gonna fire it up it would have allready happened

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I remember from an Astronomy class that it would take the mass of about 74 or 75 additional Jupiter sized planets to have Jupiter become a minimal star. Since our probes are not bigger than the Earth and I believe that the mass of Jupiter is over 300 times the mass of the Earth, our little probe will not cause any star formation to occur.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   
People like that are why I have no respect for coast to coast. What an idiot!

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Heh, could be cool tho, when the sun is extinguished we could light up jupiter

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I am not insulting anyone here so please dont take that way. This is critically stupid from every angle this is. Even *IF* you could ignite Jupiter like that WHY? We are going to be long dead before our Sun burns out because earth will most likely be asorbed by it before then. Right now the only other place in out Solar System that contains water that we know of is one of jupiters moons.

So why would we create a explosion to make Jupiter into a sun? I just can't see the argument from any angle. We couldnt even begin to image on what the consequences that would follow by doing something like this if it were even remotely possible.

Odd

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
That's it... if you guys are igniting Jupiter, I'm moving back to Pluto.

I don't think we need to worry, though... even if it could be ignited, which it really can't be, we wouldn't survive for more than ten or twenty minutes.

Good times.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I would imagine that if you wanted to ignite Jupiter as a star, it would have to forced into collapsing in on itself. otherwise it's gonna stay a gas giant.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Jupiter can be considered as a failed star. As you might find out, most of the stars in the universe exist in groups or as binary systems. Jupiter could have been our Sun's companion star, but during the early solar system formation Jupiter did not draw enough mass to become a star.

Jupiter needs at least 80 times more mass than its present size in order to become even the smallest star. I don't think igniting it to start the fusion process would be possible.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
wait jupiter is a planet, so how can a planet become a sun dont you have to be a start to be a sun? so wouldnt that make it impossible, and doesnt this have something to do with the illuminati.

Odd

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Well, sort of...

Halliburton is funding a massive government expedition to mine Jupiter for beige-colored gas, which is, of course, crucial to the manufacture of beige, gaseous things, like Michael Moore. However, the Masons are working with the Reptilians to coerce the Illuminati into sabotaging the mines with Astral Mind Force and igniting the planet, causing the end of life on earth.

David Icke and his Amazing Space Ninjas will no doubt save us from certain doom, of course... so we can all go back to bed.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
Well, sort of...

Halliburton is funding a massive government expedition to mine Jupiter for beige-colored gas, which is, of course, crucial to the manufacture of beige, gaseous things, like Michael Moore. However, the Masons are working with the Reptilians to coerce the Illuminati into sabotaging the mines with Astral Mind Force and igniting the planet, causing the end of life on earth.

David Icke and his Amazing Space Ninjas will no doubt save us from certain doom, of course... so we can all go back to bed.
lol david icke comes up with some dumb stuff

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
wouldnt the hydrogen evetually run out really fast if your burning the planet?.......i mean it would eventually burn out right?......but by the looks of it itll be more than 10 or 20 minutes.....if it does ignite....cya wherever you believe you are going to after you die or you dont go anywhere....but whatever.....if it would be a painful death id suicide before getting bbq-ed......

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I think that if there ever was a chance of igniting Jupiter it would have been when the Shoemaker-Levy 9 comet impacted Jupiter in 1994. If a fireball that size doesn't light you off, then nothing will.

Great Balls of Fire
Infrared camera during impacts

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join