It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Ideology, More Like Political Gangs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Since the dawn of man, it seems that creating groups to fit in or belong to something is human nature. Whether it be a country looking at other countries with envious eyes, or that local street gang looking to take territory from another gang to sell drugs, we find ourselves trying to fit in. We make a group or stereotype, then place ourselves in one of them. Why though?

Looking at the political scene we would find it fair to say that we all vary in political views to say the least. When we look at the political scene today in america, and probably everywhere on the globe, we see this individual political ideology idea being surpressed. In america, two group in particular, seem to dominate the political scene. Why?

Well it is actually quite similar to the bloods and the crips. Two huge gangs are fighting it out to gain complete control and futher their own group. They also have a wide variety of people with varying opinions in their gangs. People join the gangs to be a part of a group, because it has numerous benefits. One benefit is the fact they no longer have to lead themselves and be independent. When you are part of a group their are leaders, and all you have to do is follow them. In america, laziness is big, and that means people love less work. Follow creates less work for them to do, so they join a "political party" or gang or anything.

It isn't so much that they believe everything it says, just that they agree with it enough to follow it so they don't have to do any work. Another reason is security. They feel secure to be part of something bigger then themselves. Countless times throughout history we get to see how people react to being alone to defend their own stance. It is much harder for one person to stand up and state what they believe in then a bunch of people to get together and state what the leader believes in.

What are the benefits of being independent of political parties? Well you get to decide your position on every issue. Just because you don't agree with abortion or gay marriage does not mean you think the federal government should be downsized. Rather then create a new political party for every varying detail of difference, why don't we just forget the political parties entirely? What is accomplished by political parties? What positive benefits is there from political parties to our country and why would any of these benefits disappear if the political party disappeared?

At the end of the day, your representative doesnt need to be a republican or democrat to represent you. For all the places out there who actually don't fit with these parties beliefs why should you follow it? And finally, unless your willing to settle for the lesser of two evils, why would you want two major parties which don't represent everyone. Sure you may be able to relate to the democrats or the republicans, but in the end isn't it just a name? Or is that what they just don't want us to realize? That it is just a name, and at the end of the day, the canidates running would be the same people with or without the party.

The gangs don't benefit the neighborhoods of ameirca because they divide the people, much like a political party. The only difference is that gangs use violence, and political parties use words, both have the same negative effect which is making us believe we need to be part of a group to amount to something. If you don't believe me, just look at what people say about voting 3rd party/independent , "It would be a waste of my vote". Why do they feel that way? Well mainly because the group isn't big or because the person is independent, so to be part of that group would make you insignificant to the larger groups. The have created to large political gangs, discouraging people to go to anything else other then them.

If we can't think for ourselves, and vote based on the canidate, how can we ever make this nation what we want it to be?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Great post GrimReaper.
And I agree with you entirely about the two political parties divideing the people too much.
Being either "democrat" or "republican" is kind've like a crutch that people use so that they don't have to really analyze or think too hard about the person that they're voteing for.

Also sometimes it's traditional in some families to uphold the same political ideology generation after generation. I know a republican family whose son decided to be a democrat, and they act as if he's a "black sheep".

[edit on 19-10-2006 by elaine]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yea Ive seen the tradition thing happen before as well. its quite a shame how some people blindly follow to such an extreme extent.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I've been thinking for a long time now that political parties need to be abolished somehow. I think it ought to actually be illegal for candidates and politicians to be affiliated with any party or special interest group. Maybe then a candidate could be chosen more for his or her track record and personal merits rather than what "group" he represents.

Along with getting rid of "political parties" I think negative ads about the "other guy" should not be allowed. Any negative ammunition that a candidate has about his opponent should be saved for the debates. (And maybe we should have more debates, live on television). Maybe without the influence of the ads voters would'nt automatically assume one guy is better than the other. Maybe it would make us investigate the candidates we're interested in more fully. And hopefully make the candidates work harder for our votes.

Any ideas about how to change the system Grim? I think it would be a tough job with most everyone so set in their ways.

new topics

top topics

join