It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MACV SOG in Vietnam War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Hi Guys,
I am not sure if this has been discussed here. I have read somewhere about the MACV SOG opeartions during Vietnam war. It seems that these guys during those times were the best of the best. They maybe quite similar with Delta force or the Nave seals team six. In a way that they were involved with the top secret/classified operations and god knows other operation existed. It is also seems that not so much information available about them. They operated deep in the jungle ,mostly in laos/vietnam border area. In fact some of their missions is still classified as of now.

My basic knowledge about MACV SOG:

1.Selected from the Army special forces, Marine force recon, Navy seals or LRRP (eventualy changed to Rangers)
2.They should be able to speak some local languages in Vietnam.
3.They usually operate with four or seven persons mixed with cambodian, laotian, ethnic minorities.
4.They usually look like rugged, wearing black pajamas like the VC. And had long hair like hippies with matching beard.

Will appreciate if someone can give further information about MACV SOG. Although I know we can be able to find some sites in the web that has them, it would be great, if we can have someone who had really worked for MACV SOG. I think those guys had a real hard task during those times because they were formed during the latter stage of the war.

In a way, I find this group intriguing and full of mysteries. It is something that can make up a good discussion here I believe so.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Best I can do is to point you in the direction of their excellent website. No BS, they tell it how it was!

www.macvsog.org...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Wow! this is a cool site. Thanks for sharing Fritz. I'll spend some time to read it. How come I missed this one in my search.
Once again, Thank You.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I was a recon Marine and can state that 1st of all I'm not talking about where our squads operated outside of South Vietnam but that we wore US mil BDUs all the time and had one indig guy with us- a regualr from S. Vietman. No beards other than normal growth from in-country time and no long "hippy" hair.

You're not really in Hanoi are you?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Hi Cruizer,

Wow! you were a recon Marine? and a Vietnam veteran. I have a lot of respect to the people in the armed forces. Marines is one my favorite branch.

About the beard & the hippy hair, it was probably a myth, but I saw a picture somewhere of an MACV SOG in full black and the appearnce was something like that. I will post if I can find it.

My location is real. I guess MODs in ATS will be after me (worse, ban me) if I put a fake location. I don't know who does this job in ATS (about IP address), but definitely, they will find out that I am really in Hanoi, Vietnam. I have been living here since 1992.
Married to a Vietnamese and have a child. My wife is from Hanoi. When I arrived in Vietnam, I stayed in Ho Chi Minh City, (Saigon) for 6 years, before finmally moving to Hanoi. I actually have travelled to most of the historic places in Vietnam. From , South, Central & North. I have been to DMZ, Cuu Chi Tunnels, & other authentic war spots. (A lot of spots now are modified so that it would be easy for tourist to hike & observe)

My Father in law was an Army from the north during the war. He also served in Cambodia when Vietnam invaded Cambodia.

It seems that we can have some real good discussions here soon. You were in Vietnam before, did you ever come back here after the war?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
My language is a little rusty...and the keyboard does not allow me to type Vietnamese.

So I'll just say...

Chao anh...Anh ten co la gi? Xin loi ban ten ban la gi. Toi rat vui mung gap ban. Anh khoe khong?

Hy vong gap lai ban.

I'm asking for your age since Vietnamese language is meant to be respectful depending how old you are so I can change some words like anh or em.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Chao Anh,

Minh Khoe lam. Cam on. Ten toi la bit mat. Nhung, ban co the duoc goi minh la "JJ".

I am 39. Normally if you are not sure of the age of someone, you say "Ban" (You)

and refer to yourself as "Minh"(I).

Toi cung hy vong minh gap lai nua.

Regards.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Xin loi Delta Boy, ban co phai la nguoi Viet khong? Tasi sao ban biet noi tieng Viet?
Hay la ban la Viet Kieu?

are you also from the Military?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Really? I thought I use toi for myself to say I. Of course there is differences between north, central and south Vietnam. But as I say I don't remember all the basics.

I forgot to remember to say good luck to you...was it chuc may man?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Hi Delta boy,

Yes "Toi" is also "I" , this is formal and means that you are not close to the person that you are talking to.

Using "Anh" means, you are really close to the perosn, you have deep respect, you are younger, or just being polite. When you call someone "Anh" it may not mean age gap all the time., Sometimes, authority, (if the person is in a position hihger than you even though he/she is younger) Still have to call Anh, (Chi if female and age is sister level)

"Minh" actually means "We" it is in plural form, it is actually being used describing "we as one" usually you use it to be very very polite when talking to someone if you odn't know the sex, age or position.(mostly in chatting or telephone etc.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Oh yeah, Good luck to you is indeed "Chuc May Man"

Can also say Chuc suc khoe, (I wish you god health) Chuc vui ve (hope you enjoy or enjoy!)

I can type, write & speak, but I don't know how to use the accents in the Vietnam alphabet.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
John PLaster was with MACV-SOG in Vietnam. They have to be the toughest special forces men ever to hvae served. They out every other unit past and present to shame, many of their missions were literally suicidal. Yet these men still went out against overwhelming odds, many times they even disembarked deep behind enemy lines whilst uunder fire, mere mortals would hvae got back in the helo and bugged out, not these men. MACV_SOG also had the first HALO cmbat jump into Cambodia.
I recommend to anyone interested to read the few books he has written about MACV-SOG.

I've read a few of his books, they are excellent.

www.amazon.ca...

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thanks for the link Rouge 1

I found this article simple but a powerful description of MACV SOG:

The task of a SOG team could be practically anything, from prisoner snatching, to confirming something seen in aerial reconaissance to placing sensors on a road to give Intelligence an idea as to the traffic level. Every mission was meticulously planned and rehearsed. From the moment they were on the ground behind enemy lines, the team members could assume that the enemy was seconds, or minutes, away. A number of teams made it out safely (the only escape route was by air), but they had to shoot their way out. Some teams were never heard from again.
Since their missions were secret, nothing the soldiers wore or carried could be traced to America. There were no dogtags, no obviously American uniforms, and, in many cases, their weapons were foreign modified weapons.

When SOG was disbanded in 1972, all the photo files were ordered destroyed.

Pretty interesting, in fact, there were lots of urban legends which sorround SOG and their missions.

In my 14 years stay in Vietnam, I had manage to get first hand accounts of war veterans from the North Vietnamese & VC side during the Vietnam war. I will be gradually sharing these stories in the future if someone will be interested.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth
In my 14 years stay in Vietnam, I had manage to get first hand accounts of war veterans from the North Vietnamese & VC side during the Vietnam war. I will be gradually sharing these stories in the future if someone will be interested.

I would be very interested to hear these stories, I have read most of John Plasters books, if you can get your hands on them I highl recommend them. They have stories you woudn't believe. For his first mission to SOG he was stood down as another one-two wanted to go. That team was never heard from again. Plaster eventually survived several eyars as a SOG opertaive - incredible stuff.

join