It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet search mission cancelled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The European Space Agency (Esa) has cancelled its space mission that was to look for planets circling other stars.

Over 400 astronomers had written to Esa asking it to keep the 2008 mission.

But, budget problems caused by delays in the troubled Ariane 5 rocket have killed the project, as well as the lander segment of a mission to Mercury.

Esa's Dr David Southwood said that cancelling such a mission really hurts.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is very sad because finding other planets and learning about them may very well be the best way to save our own planet.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well....tecknically...we have already found other planets. I"m not sure, (and didnt read the article) but was this supposed to be the launch of a telescope that could detect planets the size of Earth? If so, all i have to say is "#!!"

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Langolier
Well....tecknically...we have already found other planets. I"m not sure, (and didnt read the article) but was this supposed to be the launch of a telescope that could detect planets the size of Earth? If so, all i have to say is "#!!"

It was basically trying to find other Earth-like planets that can support life.

Eddington had two aims, both remarkable and very pertinent to front-line astronomical interests. The first was to look for Earth-like planets outside our solar system - one of the key goals in the search to understand how life came to be, how it is that we live where we do in the universe and whether there are other potential life-supporting environments 'out there'.

www.esa.int...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 11:53 PM
link   
They cancelled what had the potential to be the single greatest discovery in the history of the world...over BUDGET problems?!

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Yeah...Unfortunately, Earth has a finite amount of resources & so they decided to turn their (also finite) budget concerns away from the less important things (like planetary survival & interplanetary colonization) towards the *really important* things (like genocide & reducing our only home planet to ash & rubble)...

...Go figure...

top topics

join