It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloaking Device Created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Scientists have demonstrated a device that can cloak a copper cylinder from microwaves, meaning objects can be cloaked from radar and visible light wavelengths, as well. The device was hurriedly built and did leave a small shadow of the object, but the designers claim they know how to overcome these drawbacks going forward.

In this experiment the scientists used microwaves to try and detect the cylinder. Like light and radar waves, microwaves bounce off objects making them visible and creating a shadow, though it has to be detected with instruments.

Cloaking differs from stealth technology, which doesn't make an aircraft invisible but reduces the cross-section available to radar, making it hard to track. Cloaking simply passes the radar or other waves around the object as if it weren't there, like water flowing around a smooth rock in a stream.

In effect the device, made of metamaterials _ engineered mixtures of metal and circuit board materials, which could include ceramic, Teflon or fiber composite materials _ channels the microwaves around the object being hidden.

When water flows around a rock, the water recombines after it passes the rock and people looking at the water downstream would never know it had passed a rock.

link

[edit on 19-10-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
as John Snow said - every schoolboys dream,

I wonder how new this actualy is tho, do u recon the the Military dont already have this,some of it sounds like the cloaking devices on current stealth aircraft,

as phil schnider says there 44years in tech advancement to every calender year,which means there in the year 4400 or something,

theres kligons on the starboard bow but no1 has a clue,

how long will i have to wait for a harry potter style cloking gown?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashwhy
how long will i have to wait for a harry potter style cloking gown?

interesting choice of words... i just saw this on Google news, so here's a few more links...

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

sounds pretty interesting... i wish i had a Cloak of Invisibility...

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Think ive read of this kind of tech given by aliens to the military intel some 2o years ago.They too were made of exotic composite materials.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
well this all sounds nice i hope we use it for something peaceful , hmm probably not.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   

The cloak is made of metamaterials, which are mixtures of metal and circuit board materials such as ceramic, Teflon or fiber composite.[...]"one could imagine 'cloaking' acoustic waves, so as to shield a region from vibration or seismic activity."

Why does the rest of the world even bother. Just give up and elect "America" (which of course includes england) president of the world and get it over with. Jebus! Invsible screens, metametals, seismic sheilds! And thats ontop of remote controlled stealth missiles, unpiloted aidrones, and robotic self propelled gun platforms. Not to mention enough nukes to destroy the world!

i hope we use it for something peaceful ,

What the heck would you use cloaking devices for peacefully? Heck, the tech wouldn't even exist without Military Intelligence, they're the ones that funded it.

as phil schnider says there 44years in tech advancement to every calender year,which means there in the year 4400 or something,

I've allways heard it as, the military technology is 10 years in advance of what they are publically saying.
But, of course, this is a little different, since its involving non-military researchers and engineers.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

i hope we use it for something peaceful ,

What the heck would you use cloaking devices for peacefully? Heck, the tech wouldn't even exist without Military Intelligence, they're the ones that funded it.

If we can find other Meta Materials to cloak all wavelengths of the Electromagnetic spectrum we could do lots with the stuff for peaceful purposes. For instance, a lunar colony or a spaceship can be made "invisible" to dangerous radiation, or if you're a hypocondriac who thinks that powerlines, any powerlines can give you Cancer, then you can make a regular house "invisible" to those EM waves as well. You can use it to shield wires so as to reduce interference. I can think of at least a dozen other things but I won't bore you.

I've allways heard it as, the military technology is 10 years in advance of what they are publically saying.

Depends on what area you're talking about. Telecommunications I'd say they are 5 years ahead, which is an enourmous lead anyway you look at it. Aerospace, I'd say they are 40-60 years ahead of what the General Public has knowledge of.

But, of course, this is a little different, since its involving non-military researchers and engineers.

Most stuff that the Military Industry Complex makes is produced by the private sector via government contracts.

[edit on 20-10-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 20-10-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Anyone remember the Philidelphia Experiment ? I'm surprised these two events
haven't been linked, yet. They reek of the same purpose, only our technology has caught up and made it possible.

Or, it's truly new...

My 2 cents,
Lex

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Good point! Doesn't all wave/particle cloaking research go back to the PX? I think so.

The difference here is in the microwave cloaking emphasis, though the science for the entire spectrum must go hand in hand.

If you can dial it in you can dial it out, so to speak. That means if they can get the waves cloaked in this here and now, perhaps they can uncloak them in another. With the proper coordinates, and enough power, they might be able to communicate via microwave with the past, or the future, or interdimensionally. Anybody ever see the movie "Frequency?"

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
They post these news releases....but how about some proof....videos? photos?

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Really is a big step in civilian technologies to be able to actually cloak something on the electro-magnetic spectrum. Now we have to figure out a way to cloak all the filtered colors in our part of the spectrum.

I give it another 20, 30 years before we have something.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Damn. I thought they had actually managed to do this to the visual spectrum... stupid radio news, allways knowing nothing about what they are talking about.

Ah well... maybe one day I can slap people across the back of the head, and freak them out by not being there when they turn around.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I wonder why the public is being informed of this. Maybe the government is trying to very slowly allow us to 'catch up' with the real technology they have available to them to prepare us for something important?

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I don't think that this is a leak of 'primitive old' technology to prepare people. The guys at Duke and other Universities that made this probably aren't actors being paid to pretend that they are researchers, and the peopel reviewing any of their published work probably aren't also fake government fronts.

[qute]sardion2000
For instance, a lunar colony or a spaceship can be made "invisible" to dangerous radiation
Dang, thats a good idea.

new topics

top topics

join