It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free will discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I've been having discussions with my friends about the topic of free will. The example is this, let's say that your in a lunchline, and you can have a choice between an apple or chocolate cake, and you choose the chocolate cake, but why did you choose the cake? We all know what it is to "do" something, we know by "doing" it, but is this enough for free will? When in line, at that exact moment, you could choose either the cake or apple, and you chose the cake, we can look at this in two ways that I don't think support free will; A-You don't really have any "reason" you can clearly say why you chose the cake, so how was that "your" doing? B-At that point you knew that cake would taste better to you at that moment, you knew the chemical responses on your tounge would be more enjoyable than the apple, so with that said, does that mean that we are just controlled by what we feel will be more pleasurable at that time? You could also propose the argument that disagrees with free will called causation. Causation is the thought that everything you do, all your "choices" are because something caused you to react a certain way, or choose something. For example, lets say that you haven't had cake in a long time, and seeing that cake reminded you that you haven't had cake in a while, therefore you not having cake caused you to choose cake, again, so how is that free will? Another example, I am a car buff, why am I a car buff, because my dad is. I have brothers that aren't car buffs, so something in their past had to cause them to not to like cars, but something in my past caused me to like cars. I washed my car today, why did I, because it rained yesterday, the rain caused me to want to wash my car. I would like someone to shed some light on this subject for me, I didn't really know what section to post this in, so I "choose" lol, this one. Appreciate some feedback, thanks

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think your looking at free will too deeply. Let me simplify with my own thoughts.

We all have to make the choice wether we think about which choice to make or not.

Just because we sometimes dont think about which choice we should make when it comes to something as simple as choosing pie or cake doesn't mean were not making the actual choice.

Sometimes I will think about which choice I should make and I juggle in my mind back and forth between different options and the one option that I wanted I decide to for the sake of exploration choose something I have never chosen before just to experience that. If I chose say my regular option or rather chose something new i'm still making that choice. I may choose my regular option because I know that I really enjoy the taste and I decide that im really in the mood to have something enjoyable and be safe to know that I will enjoy it. I may choose something new because I feel like taking a risk and trying something new to experiment with. Depending on the situation we can make any choice we wish, there are different reason's for choosing anything. Some people just try to allways satisfy themselves and they choose to do things that cater to that. But that would be a new topic in itself.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'd choose the apple since it's healthy. Free will at its fullest

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
and free will to change to another subject. dommino #1 to fall in february, when provoked by iran in the gulf, U.S.A enters iran. the escalation from there is war. later on, the north koreans gov't not done with the U.S.A. yet. more problems there during the invasion of iran. ALL TO COME TRUE. time magazine to give tips on oil situation in the gulf. U.S.A poll shows usa is gradually importing more oil than exporting. END CAUSE, the nations are running out of oil, and it is a battle for the black gold, who controls it now to keep their nation stable. watch it happen in february, it is all over oil. your life happennings of what goes on in your life, depend on, in this stage of oil developement. NO OIL MEANS FOR U.S.A AND OTHER NATIONS. no transportation, we rely on other means, other means are not good enough to supply the nation, no food , you starve, you rebel, REVOLUTION BEGINS.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
dont believe me, check it out. see for yourself. the latest on A.T.S, check out the pending draft bill, pending on A.T.S THE DRAFT PEOPLE, IT IS REAL AND SO IS THE WAR. FEBRUARY is comming. bush found a way to get the people he needs for this war that will start in february, see, i told ya so. check it out on a.t.s, heck check it out on the web, you will see it is true. all you younger kids out there be prepared to go, and all you people who are 42 or younger and haven't been in the military will go too. listen to me, it is real. IT WILL HAPPEN,....................

top topics

join