It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Says Threat To NFL Stadiums Not Credible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
A post on an internet site has threatened the detonation of "dirt bombs at seven NFL stadiums this Sunday, saying that the nuclear material had been smuggled into the US and would be transported to the NFL stadiums in trucks. The threat, posted at www.thefriendsociety.com, went on to claim that it was a plan by al-Queda to bring about "civil war" in the US and around the world and would be followed by an announcement by Osama bin-Laden taking responsibility for the bombings.

today.reuters.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Department of Homeland Security on Wednesday warned officials in seven U.S. cities about a dirty-bomb threat to National Football League stadiums but does not believe the threat is credible, officials said.

The threat, posted on Monday on an Internet site, said bombs containing radioactive material known as "dirty" bombs had been smuggled into the United States and would be used to attack professional football stadiums this coming Sunday, the department said.

"We are looking at this with strong skepticism. We have judged that there is not a credible threat here. There is no evidence or intelligence that there is a credible threat of such attacks," said Homeland Security spokesman Jarrod Agen.

"But out of an abundance of caution, we thought it necessary to notify federal, state, local and private sector partners," he added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I certainly hope that Homeland Security and the FBI know whereof they speak. They claim this is simply a hoax with no credibility but they have ben wrong in the past, haven't they?
Still, if I lived in one of the "targeted" cities and had tickets to the football game, I think I wouold think teice before going.

Related News Links:
newsblogs.chicagotribune.com
www.cbsnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
EXCLUSIVE: The Dirty Bomb on our Doorstep

[edit on 18-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Hmmm reminds me of a movie I once saw....

I cant place the movie tho.. but this pretty much is the sum of all fears. Someone destroying a football game.. Man what will people do on Sundays now?

Anyway I don't care for football, but this could have been predicted before.. If you understand the line above this you will get what I meant.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Black Sunday or what? I'll still be watchin'. I can't think of a more "American" symbol than the NFL. Credibile or not this is the sort of target that might have the most perceptive impact. I'm not discounting any threat at this point... it's been quiet... perhaps too quiet.

Victor K.

43'

[edit on 18-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
(This is my second attempt to post to this thread. I deleted my first post before I actually posted it to the site. This new post is nothing like the previous.)

Well folks, I'd be careful about jumping into an ongoing federal investigation that is web-based.

Im a huge fan of the NFL so, staying in my routine, I'll be watching.

If anything goes down in Houston (I live in the Houston metro area), I have a bug-out plan that pre-dates 911.

My plan involves driving over 500 miles and not an inch of that drive is on freeway or even a major highway. Despite that, I already know where I will stop for gas along the entire route.

In the event of a major emergency, the government will be all over the the freeways, interstates, and major cities. My trip doesnt take me within 100 miles of a "major" city once I clear Houston.

Anyway, the more I ramble, I more likely I am to get into the previous post that I aborted before submitting.

But I dont think the FBI would go public with this if they thought it was a total hoax. More likely, exposing it may be an attempt to let the bad guys know thta we are on to them and since the element of surprise is gone, they may cancel the event all together.

Who knows...........

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Well, it's gonna be hard to sneak that bottle of nips into the game this Sunday..

Seriously, though, the website has been identified. Which brings up a question:

How many people would be in favor of a law allowing the feds to force the website owners to identify the person that posted this?

Edit spelling

[edit on 19-10-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
CNN is now reporting that a "young adult" is in custody...

The FBI was interviewing a Milwaukee resident Thursday believed to be responsible for posting what officials think are phony threats on a Web site about radiological dirty bomb attacks on NFL football stadiums this weekend.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com... /19/threat.games.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

[edit on 19-10-2006 by elevatedone]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, it's gonna be hard to sneak that bottle of nips into the game this Sunday..

Seriously, though, the website has been identified. Which brings up a question:

How many people would be in favor of a law allowing the feds to force the website owners to identify the person that posted this?

Edit spelling
[edit on 19-10-2006 by jsobecky]

I would oppose such a law; not because I'm soft on hoaxers or terrorists but because if such a law were passed it would set a precedent for other laws allowing for the gov't to demand the names of subscribers for other things like their religious and political affiliations, etc. It is a short walk from national security to police state,IMO.

join