It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Base - Dawsonville GA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by behindthescenes
I'm not sure how much more you can say about the property and former base. The documents, as you point out, speak for themselves.

It would be interesting if we could track down someone who once worked there for an interview....

I think finding someone who worked there is going to be VERY VERY hard. First of all, we need to start asking anyone who works for lockhead about the base. Do you know anyone?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
by the way... after talking to my friend extensively today, recalling memories and such, I feel there is 1 more thing I need to applogize about.

In reguards to our mutual friend who worked for the company that decommissioned the base. This is incorrect. After recalling memories, I realised I confused some small details, which in my friends opinion made the story seem very misconstrued.

Our mutual friend does work for a contractor. However the contractor he works for has nothing to do with this base. In fact the only thing this mutual friend has to do with this story at all, is the fact he told us about it originally.

Our friend told us about the base, and later that night we went to the base. The documents in which I spoke of are from a person that "whatafoolbelieves" knows. I do not know this person (that i know of). However "whatafoolbeleives" did see the documents and so did another one of our friends.

The only reason I wanted to clarify that is for my credibility. Sorry for the mistruths. Although I ment no harm by it, I filled in the blanks of what I couldnt remember by putting together facts. This created fiction. Therefore the problem is with untruthful facts are posted, no matter how small, it does somewhat draw a different picture for everyone. Which again, I dont want to do.

Again sorry for the wrong information. Luckily the information were very small details in the story, but still the point of the post was ONLY to prove the base exists. Then gather more info on it if possible, and prove or disprove my theory of its involvement in the military's covert ops to develop and protect alien technology. Which by the way, most people have a hard time believing. I myself am becoming one of them the more and more I read these forums.

-hex

[edit on 1-11-2006 by hexed1911]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SneakySquirrel
Im rather curious after reading this thread for the past few days, i would be interested in getting directions to here so that i may one day check this out for myself

Could you possibly give me directions to the base?

[edit on 1-11-2006 by SneakySquirrel]

I, for one, would be totally stoked to see these photos. Are you going to scuba dive down to the part that was flooded? Bring an underwater camera and an extra light source if that's your plan.

Sorry for the one liner, but thats all I have to say.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
If that base in Dawsonville GA is the one that I think it is, it use to be a Post AtackCommand And Control System bunker for the Air Force when the 4137th Strategic Wing was based at Robbins AFB about 125 miles south of there, these bunker were placed far enough away from there control bases so that they would not be taken out by missiles.

This command post controlled the southern United States before JSTAR and Looking Glass aircraft became common in the sixty's. The antenna farm for this command post was located in the Chatahoochee forest until they were destroyed in the eighties.

The only bunker of this type that I know to still intact is the one just north of Westover AFB which was used by the Federal Reserve Bank to hold the disaster economy in the eighties.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mezzanine

Originally posted by SneakySquirrel
Im rather curious after reading this thread for the past few days, i would be interested in getting directions to here so that i may one day check this out for myself

Could you possibly give me directions to the base?

I, for one, would be totally stoked to see these photos. Are you going to scuba dive down to the part that was flooded? Bring an underwater camera and an extra light source if that's your plan.

Sorry for the one liner, but thats all I have to say.

i may wait for a while, my friend and i have a few other agendas we have to attend to before embarking on this adventure, but be rest assured that i will in the next few months or so provide the good people at ATS with at least SOME photographic evidence of this base's existence

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by hexed1911
Then gather more info on it if possible, and prove or disprove my theory of its involvement in the military's covert ops to develop and protect alien technology. Which by the way, most people have a hard time believing. I myself am becoming one of them the more and more I read these forums.

I'm way ahead of you there. I don't believe in alien tech or whatever scifi experimentation CTists say takes place in underground bases. In this case, I think we have a clear cut example of infrastructure related to the Cold War, and thus an intrinsic artifact of U.S. history.

Like others here, I would be very tempted to try to break in and dive for underwater pictures. But if the base was closed due to a nuclear incident -- which isn't spelled out one way or another in the papers -- then I'm not sure I'm anxious to glow in the dark. The papers talk about radiation monitoring, but it's unclear if the radiation is a normal result of the reactor that was there or if a result of a leak of some sort.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Then gather more info on it if possible, and prove or disprove my theory of its involvement in the military's covert ops to develop and protect alien technology. Which by the way, most people have a hard time believing. I myself am becoming one of them the more and more I read these forums.

I'm way ahead of you there. I don't believe in alien tech or whatever scifi experimentation CTists say takes place in underground bases. In this case, I think we have a clear cut example of infrastructure related to the Cold War, and thus an intrinsic artifact of U.S. history.

Like others here, I would be very tempted to try to break in and dive for underwater pictures. But if the base was closed due to a nuclear incident -- which isn't spelled out one way or another in the papers -- then I'm not sure I'm anxious to glow in the dark. The papers talk about radiation monitoring, but it's unclear if the radiation is a normal result of the reactor that was there or if a result of a leak of some sort.

and as an artifact of U.S history i would like to document it and show my findings to ATS

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
i deffinatly went there last night!! i went to the building right inside the fenced in area right behind the parking lot, there was like a bunker, a building that we got into [which had a bum's blanket inside of it] we also ventured around the big building...maybe seem strange but in between two sheets of metal that were reinforcing the doors water was leaking through??? not sure why that was, but # man this is kinda scary! we hung out for like 4 hours. the metal in front of the big ass building's doors is really thin, i think that if you put a crowbar under the bottom we could get it off, but i dont know if i want to go in there anymore..thanks for your story by the way!

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saint2218
i deffinatly went there last night!! i went to the building right inside the fenced in area right behind the parking lot, there was like a bunker, a building that we got into [which had a bum's blanket inside of it] we also ventured around the big building...maybe seem strange but in between two sheets of metal that were reinforcing the doors water was leaking through??? not sure why that was, but # man this is kinda scary! we hung out for like 4 hours. the metal in front of the big ass building's doors is really thin, i think that if you put a crowbar under the bottom we could get it off, but i dont know if i want to go in there anymore..thanks for your story by the way!

assuming that you actually went to the Dawsonville base, why couldnt you just take some pictures and post them on ATS? I plan on going there, and posting video as well as picture documentation of my findings. If you ever decide to go back, then please take a camera with you and dont be hesitant to snap a few pictures or so to prove that you actually DID go there

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
i got my directions to the relative location of the place and its like a 3hr and 45min drive from my house, so this sounds like a weekend roadtrip lol. Really though, sometime before it snows, i will be venturing to Dawsonville to take some pictures for ATS

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well as I said before. I will be back in N. Fulton for Xmas. I will be going to check it out, with a couple buddies, during the week between Xmas and New Year. I will post pics and if anyone wants to join U2U me! If we do not get arrested or die, first round of drinks at Mulligans or Taco Mac are on me! LOL

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imperium Americana
Well as I said before. I will be back in N. Fulton for Xmas. I will be going to check it out, with a couple buddies, during the week between Xmas and New Year. I will post pics and if anyone wants to join U2U me! If we do not get arrested or die, first round of drinks at Mulligans or Taco Mac are on me! LOL

I would love to be in on that, particularly the latter part. Although I have to warn you: Taco Mac no longer exists on Roswell Road. It's some other generic clone -- with a great beer selection though.

I think there are Taco Macs still in Duluth and in Alpharetta, tho'....

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Great story. Wondering if someone should go into the area with a Geiger counter and take a measurement. A map locating the place with some details would be interesting too.

If you ever decide to explore the place again perhaps you can take few pictures of the place.

Dallas

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Imperium Americana - Good luck with your venture... I will be interested with meeting up at Taco Mac as well... I will bring my friends (including whatafoolbelieves) and we can discuss the base, as well as other things..

behindthescenes - i didnt know you where an ATLien... hahah couldnt resist...

taco mac in alphatatter

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I used to live in a group home in Dawsonville,Ga and it was creepy. I lived in a cabin in the Apalachicola state park. Have been back there with my wife since and the road up the mountain in the state park is closed and no one that works at the visitors center has any idea of any group home ever being there. Lots of weird hauntings in those mountains. I would never go there at night prowling around. I know its kinda off topic but it just brought back memories.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Imperium Americana - Good luck with your venture... I will be interested with meeting up at Taco Mac as well... I will bring my friends (including whatafoolbelieves) and we can discuss the base, as well as other things..

taco mac in alphatatter

Oh yeah. Raised from babyhood here. Hell, I remember when The Prado (on Roswell Road) was the party scene for swinging 70's singles. Then came Buckhead and now, I guess, it's Midtown. Although now my party days are limited to a nice glass of scotch and posting on ATS at night after the baby's gone to bed.

But yeah, I still live in the metro world. You?

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I would love to be in on that, particularly the latter part. Although I have to warn you: Taco Mac no longer exists on Roswell Road. It's some other generic clone -- with a great beer selection though.

I think there are Taco Macs still in Duluth and in Alpharetta, tho'....

Yeah I knew that one closed down. I worked just over the river on S. Atl St. I agree it does have a good selection of beer. My home, before I sold it was 2 blocks from the Holcomb bridge & Barnwell Taco Mac. Perfect distance to walk home!

taco mac in alphatatter

I was thinking of the TM at the corner of Windward and 9. Mulligans is a couple miles north of Windward on 9. Plus to that idea is my friend is one of the bartenders...woot free drinks (how I plan on swinging the free first round LOL)

LOL I keep have images of the pics posted on ATS of us with black stripes across the eyes...LOL I dont know why but I keeps laughing...might the the Trappist Ale though.

BTW:
Alphatater is for the noob yuppies. Alphatucky=Old School! As in Old School Rucker Road Milton High A-Towner!

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Hey Guys and Gals, my name is Matt. I'm 22 years old and have lived in Dawsonville my whole life. I grew up listening to stories about Dawson Forest and Lockheed. These stories ranged from two-headed deer to glowing wildlife. Pretty ridilious urban folklore. But radiation still exists. The University of Georgia still does radiation testing to this day. I will try and find the website for that. I have made countless trips to Dawson Forest either hunting, off-roading, or exploring the "secret base." Dawson Forest is now mostly Wildlife Management Area land managed by the DNR. There is a tract called the "City of Atlanta Tract" which contains the location of the base. The city of Atlanta bought the land from the government to one day build an extension of Hartsfield International Airport. However, due to the mountainous landscape that idea was put on the shelf. Ever since I was a kid I have always heard rumors the city of Atlanta was going to build another airport up here. Anyway, back on point. For anyone who wants directions to Dawson Forest, here ya go:

-Take GA 400 north to Dawson Forest Rd. (This is the traffic light intersection at the Premium Outlet mall. Look for the mall on the left and an Arbys on the right.)
-Take a left onto Dawson Forest Rd. and you will come to a four way stop at Lumpkin Campground Rd.
-Go straight through the four way stop and continue probably 2 or 3 miles.
-The next stop sign you come to will to will the the intersection of Dawson Forest Rd. and Hwy. 9
-Go straight across Hwy. 9 (be extra careful when crossing b/c of the way the road curves, it is hard to see on-coming traffic)
-Continue past the Hwy. 9 intersection (you will pass a fire station on the right) until you come to the South Gate, as us locals call it, at Dawson Forest.
-Once in the gate you can take the first right and come upon numerous concrete slabs.

Thats pretty much the most direct way to Dawson Forest. Also, before entering though the gate there is a gravel road on the right. About half a mile down that road there is a bridge, if you stop in the middle of the bridge and look to the left you can see a concrete building. I'm not sure what that building was used for. If you choose to continue down this road you will need a four wheel drive to cross the 3 foot deep river about 2 miles down the road. That road will lead you to the north side of Dawson Forest, or as locals call it "North Gate." Anyway, I have heard tale that the concrete slabs I mentioned in the directions are actually the hoofs of buildings that were part of the base. As for the purpose of the base, I heard the nuclear testing was used in the development of a nuclear powered airplane. If you continue down the road without turning right at the concrete slabs the road will turn into gravel about 1 or 2 miles down. At this point, if you look to the left you can see a concrete building through the brush and the river behind it. This was the hot cell building. Back in the day the reactor was down in the river. It has since been removed. I know that for a fact because a longtime Dawsonville resident and also an Etowah Water Authority technician told me the reactor was removed. Anyway, continue beyond that and you will come to the dis-mantled remains of the bridge that Hex mentioned in previous posts. Back to the concrete slab area, at the back left corner of this area there is a rather tall building that has a fence around it. This is one of a few areas of Dawson Forest that is supposed to be "off-limits."

It's a pretty interesting place. As I said, I have been there countless times and done alot of exploring with my buddies. If you guys want to meet on a Saturday or Sunday one weekend let me know. I'll be glad to show you guys the sights. Just send me an e-mail at [email protected]. If you guys have anymore questions about Dawson Forest let me know. Alot of information can be found at the Dawson County Library.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
BTW,
I don't think I have anything going on this weekend. If I get a chance I will run over to Dawson Forest and snap some pictures to post.

In the mean time. Here is a link to some pictures of Dawson Forest on the GeoCaching web site. The picture called "The Ford" is the reason you need a four wheel drive to continue down the gravel road I mentioned before.

www.geocaching.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Thanks Spyder, that was some great elaboration.

It'll be good to have a true local for the hunt. And like you said, I would love to take some pics and post them here. If you can do it first, more power to you.

BTW, very interesting pictures.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join