It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America's Internet Addiction a Problem??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So now we have Stanfordites researching problematic internet use? It seems to me they might want to take a closer look at their findings.

“We often focus on how wonderful the Internet is—how simple and efficient it can make things,” elaborated lead author Elias Aboujaoude, MD. “But we need to consider the fact that it creates real problems for a subset of people.”

So it creates problems? BUT.... then you scroll down and find some interesting facts like:

*13.7% found it hard to stay away from the Internet for several days at a time
*8.2% used the Internet as a way to escape problems or relieve negative mood

When you tie those two together I see positives. Maybe the internet is therapeutic for some people.... it's better for them to relieve stress on the internet than engage in criminal activity in the real world.

I also thought I'd point out that many technologies are addictive... tv, car, cell phones etc. The internet is a relatively new phenomenon and this generation is bound to get drawn to it. It permeates our daily lives like a car, tv, or what have you. It is a great tool but like anything else it can be abused.

I don't find the study to be surprising in any way. Conduct surveys on something more meaningful!

www.dailytech.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Anything that takes away from your normal functioning is a problem. Being on the internet to much takes you away from the beauty of life. When you're online all the time you're missing out on social interaction that is imperative to mental health. If you must spend endless hours every day online, then at least take breaks and go for a walk or a bike ride or something.

new topics

join