It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battlefield 2142 comes with spyware

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Your missing the point: games like AA (Americas Army) DOES WITHOUT QUESTION track your actions in the game and uses it as a recruitment program. BF, BF2, BF2 SF, BF2145 or whatever its called is starting to follow the exact same programming. They also added the bonus of corporate advertising to get you to buy more, well this is done by WATCHING WHAT YOU DO THE MOST AND WHAT YOU LOOK AT THE MOST so it can send you the correct information on what it thinks you will buy.
These are OUR computers, NOT THEIRS, they have no right to be putting this stuff in our computer let alone the equipment we use. We buy a game for $50.00 or more we do NOT want the darn thing to have spyware.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
With the battlefield games, you have the option to play on unranked servers. IF a server isn't ranked, there's no information recorded on your stats.

As for America's Army, you have the option to simply not play it. This is the cource of action I've taken. I find the whole concpet of AA to be morally repugnant. Games should be played for fun, not as a tool to sucker kids into joining the Army or to glorify a political group.

The streaming adds in BF2142 do annoy me a bit, but it's hardly a threat to the security of my computer or an invasion of my privacy.

The bottom line remains, if you don't like something that a game company is doing, don't buy their products. Take a little personal responcibility for your consumer spending power.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
With the battlefield games, you have the option to play on unranked servers. IF a server isn't ranked, there's no information recorded on your stats.

aye, and i believe all of the 3rd-party mods are unranked as well...

BF2 is a fun game, and earning those lil medals and ribbons is fun too, but nothing beats a good old game of BF1942 Desert Combat CTF; w00t!

i would assume BF2142 would have unranked servers as well, but i'll never know cuz i don't plan on playing it... c'mon ET:QW! frag on!

[edit on 23 10Oct 06 by m3rlz]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Here is a better question: How do we get the spyware OFF our computer? It comes in the game and downloads with the game, so how to we find it and kill it? Heres another question: does BF2 BF2 special forces come with the spyware... if so maybe thats why my computer is getting a bit funky lately with advertisements... keep getting ebay, travel, stuff like that.

[edit on 23-10-2006 by Vekar]

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vekar
does BF2 BF2 special forces come with the spyware...

the only spyware i would say comes with those games is GameSpy, which is an optional install upon installation of the games... if you don't run GS, you shouldn't have anything to worry about in regard to BF2/BF2 SF... they don't have any in-game ads, they just track your stats on ranked servers... i just re-installed both of them yesterday after my most recent format and i didn't install GS with 'em... i haven't used GS in years...

if you have issues with spyware/malware, there are tons of different appz you can run to detect and remove it... BF2/BF2 SF shouldn't flag anything within those appz...

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
The streaming adds in BF2142 do annoy me a bit, but it's hardly a threat to the security of my computer or an invasion of my privacy.

So far. I can't wait for hackers to start taking advantage of this.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hackers wont take advantage of it. you are assigned a number when u join a server and the demographic of your location is all that is used to direct ads on the signs. ive been playin it and have yet to recall seeing an ad. Im usually to busy fighting.

Also see the thread on the game over at bts.

BTS Battlefield 2142 thread

See that thread, i jumped to conclusions also till i did some reading.

Read this also. Dice Developers explain it.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Yeah I never use GS either, hate the darn thing after 1 use when I played BF VIETNAM. Hackers wouldnt get allot out of hacking the program, it tracks what you are most interested in... So in the end a hacker would only know you use Ebay 9/10 times of the day for when you log on and that you look at womens panties allot so unless its blackmail they cant do too much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join