It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI reversal. Alien worlds, what would their SETI programs see from us. . .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
If i were an alien on another planet, and i was picking up the television signals earth has been sending out, what would i be watching?

1) i would see the superman movies. I would see this man flying through the air, catching airplanes, and getting shot in the eye without any effect to him.

2) i would watch the X-men movies, and see their abilities as well.. ..

3) i would see the David or Bruce Banner changing into a giant unstoppable Green monster like creature...

4) i would see reports from the Federation of Planets, and the crewmembers' stories aboard the enterprizes .. ..

5) i would see the news, always about the worst things, fears, and fears, and hates, and wars, and this guy killed his wife, and these children have gone missing, and this leader did this or that, etc .. . .

I wonder if alien worlds have found the entertainment value of Science Fiction, or would they think that these things could be real ????

Perhaps, if they heard us long before we started listening to the skies with SETI, they may have already decided we were far superior in some aspects due to our science-fiction and other visual signals as well. perhaps they had already decided to steer clear of us, or. ...

come and visit secretively to see what was going on with humanity ???

but, there is no reason to assume they can not traverse time. besides, space travel is time travel, there is not one without the other.

so, maybe they arrived before we transmitted?

maybe they responded before we invited them with voyager?

the only unidentifiable signal ever recieved was shortly after we started listening, shortly after we turned our "ears" on with SETI.

just some thoughts.

at any rate:

Disregarding human emotions and thought processes, how would an alien society react when they saw the programming we were sending to them?

would they be happy they were not alone?

would they learn alot from us?

would they be scared out of their minds?

would they decide to shut up and not answer us?

would they send out their most advanced probes to evaluate the situation?

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I wonder if alien worlds have found the entertainment value of Science Fiction, or would they think that these things could be real?

Well I'm not sure if they find it entertaining, but I'm sure they would
have realised a good chunk was fictitious, assuming they are more
advanced or as advanced than us.

Disregarding human emotions and thought processes, how would an alien society react when they saw the programming we were sending to them?

would they be happy they were not alone?

would they learn alot from us?

would they be scared out of their minds?

would they decide to shut up and not answer us?

would they send out their most advanced probes to evaluate the situation?

Well there-in lyes the problem, we may be able to put our emotions
aside when thinking about the problem, but we are human, and thusly
think like humans, and are incapable of thinking in a totally alien manner.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The signals you are talking about have traveled such a very small distance.

In fact the very first TV transmissions back in the 1930's 40's have just reached around the 65 light years mark.

Or if you like a sphere earth central with a radius of 382.85 Trillion miles.

To give you an idea of distance the nearest star system to us is Alpha Centauri which lies 4.35 light-years from the Sun.

The milky way Galaxy itself is about 50'000 light years radius and we are not even one third of the way in as we are situated on a spiral arm.

That means the other side of the galaxy directly opposite us is a distance of at least 73'000 light years distant.

So Superman Returns, which was maybe first broadcast about 6 months ago, will only have traveled 2.94 trillion miles. Not even a light year away.

So I guess Aliens are much more likely to see Hitler or Charlie Chaplin, than they are Superman.

If we really wanted to set up a good method of signaling other advanced Civ's in our neck of the woods then a really good method would be this.

Travel to a nearby star system (in our case Alpha Centauri) then set up a series of dense orbital object that would orbit the star causing it to wobble in an UNATRUAL way.

In fact it would be possible to cause the star to wobble a series of prime numbers.

Not only is this the best method for identifying ourselves to them but possibly this is what SETI should be looking for instead of listening for anything strange at radio frequencies....

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 18-10-2006 by Neon Haze]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
That's what Rocky Horror Show was all about.

The Lucy Show.

The Honeymooners

Gilligan's Island

The Brady Bunch

Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Jerry Springer

Maury Povich

Dr. Phil

Truly intelligent life would steer clear of the entire solar system.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I would think they picked up such superhuman transmissions and came to see if it is truely happening. They came, they saw, they saw nothing real, but the shows we create with science-fiction. I'm sure they are smart enough to expect the shows are all fake and acted, but the real reason why they are watching us is to see if we work towards making it real. To see if we fulfill our imaginative creations.

That is what inspires them from us, our growing potential.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
are we absolutley sure that there is no phenomenon in space that would permit these signals from being sent back through time to a time before humanity even existed?

is there no known force in the entire universe that could act as an arc with any message going in, which comes out thousands, or millions of years ago?

worm holes?

black holes?

are we absolutley sure that the signals we are sending outwards are not recievable before we sent them?

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   

are we absolutley sure that there is no phenomenon in space that would permit these signals from being sent back through time to a time before humanity even existed?

is there no known force in the entire universe that could act as an arc with any message going in, which comes out thousands, or millions of years ago?

worm holes?

black holes?

Not directed at me, but I feel like answering anyways.

Yes, we're sure that there is no phenomenon in space (that's natural)
that would allow for radiowaves to exceed C, which theoretically
would allow for time travel.

Worm holes, while theoretically possible, would'nt exist on a large
enough scale for a sufficient signal to pass through it, and than the
probobility of one existing in the radiowaves path is incredibly small,
unless you're producing an incredibly small full sphere signla, which
we generally don't.
And it may be that worm holes may not even alow for time travel.

As for black holes, well, they're just giant gluttonous singularities,
things go in, and get destroyed.
However, it could be that an Einstein-Rosen bridge could form,
however it would'nt exist long enough (naturally) for the signal to
pass through it, even if it was passed the event horizon, and than
the signal may very well come out in another universe.

[edit on 10/22/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Pray for us when the tv signals from the 21st century hit other planets i.e Reality Tv.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revelmonk
Pray for us when the tv signals from the 21st century hit other planets i.e Reality Tv.

funny thought.

i wonder what they will think when they see a drunk mini-me urinating in the livingroom corner off his little scooter.

i wonder who they will see first as a spokesperson or emmisary of earth?

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
are we absolutely sure that there is no phenomenon in space that would permit these signals from being sent back through time to a time before humanity even existed?

worm holes?

black holes?

are we absolutely sure that the signals we are sending outwards are not receivable before we sent them?

Hi there,

I know that this has been answered else where... since it is not possible to send information faster than light.

However, that said strictly speaking a worm hole does not actually vilate this law. Since the information does not physically travel faster than light, it simply travels a much shorter distance over all.

~so I would summarise and say that we don't know anything for sure, and NOTHING is impossible.

That said the chances seriously stack up against it something like 9^28:1 or 9 to the power of 28 to one against.

why is the potential so small??

Well the reason for such a large figure against is that not only does our information have to find a stable worm hole (something unheard of so far) the worm hole would have to exit somewhere an intelligence was listening.

So I would say that this is just about out of the realms of reality.

As I mentioned earlier there are other much more effective ways of sending signals.

but nice thoughts though

NeoN HaZe.

top topics

join