It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hypothetical question, but an answer would help a lot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
If a parent beats their kid, and doesn't leave a mark, the kid keeps quiet, and everyone assumes that they're happy. The kid wants to tell, but is afraid that because this parent doesn't leave a mark, the kid will have no proof. And if the kid tries to tell, and it doesn't work, will the parent still be with their family? in their house? would telling without proof just make things worse? please...leave a comment...im really curious

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
In this day and age, child abuse is taken very seriously. I couldn't imagine a moral person who would disregard a child's plead for help in this matter. If I were in this position I would immediately go and tell a responsible adult who I could trust. This being a teacher, pastor, relative, etc. I would not allow myself to be in such a dangerous situation as a parent abusing me. NO ONE deserves to live a life in constant fear of abuse and harm.

If a person were to tell of this abuse, I don't think the abuser and abused would still be in the same household. The abusive parent must find help for their problem and maybe down the line reconciliation can happen, BUT THIS TAKES A BACKSEAT TO THE SAFETY OF THE CHILD NOW!

Peace and Safety

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nihilist Fiend
In this day and age, child abuse is taken very seriously. I couldn't imagine a moral person who would disregard a child's plead for help in this matter. If I were in this position I would immediately go and tell a responsible adult who I could trust. This being a teacher, pastor, relative, etc. I would not allow myself to be in such a dangerous situation as a parent abusing me. NO ONE deserves to live a life in constant fear of abuse and harm.

If a person were to tell of this abuse, I don't think the abuser and abused would still be in the same household. The abusive parent must find help for their problem and maybe down the line reconciliation can happen, BUT THIS TAKES A BACKSEAT TO THE SAFETY OF THE CHILD NOW!

Peace and Safety

makes sense, but are you taking into constieration that there's no proof of this. It's word against word. The parent could deny everything, and eventually make the child's life even worse, what if he's allready attemped killing the child, and he would most likely finish it given the opprotunity...

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
What if the child insisted the responsible adult give him a number for the child protection ageny and not worry if the responsible adult beleives him or not.
Just get a number...
The child protection ageny wont disregard any child who says their parents are a serious thread to him

[edit on 18-10-2006 by chris01621]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by what_if_we_could
makes sense, but are you taking into constieration that there's no proof of this. It's word against word. The parent could deny everything, and eventually make the child's life even worse, what if he's allready attemped killing the child, and he would most likely finish it given the opprotunity...

All the more reason for that child to seek help. If he/she has faced possible death in the past and does nothing to get away, then they are almost certainly ensuring that the abusive parent will succeed eventually. Believe me, if a child in being truthful and sincere in their accusations it will become evident immediately to authorities who will go all out to protect them and seperate them from the abusive parent. Don't wait, do it now, would be my hearfelt plea.

God Bless,

SR

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormrider

Originally posted by what_if_we_could

All the more reason for that child to seek help. If he/she has faced possible death in the past and does nothing to get away, then they are almost certainly ensuring that the abusive parent will succeed eventually. Believe me, if a child in being truthful and sincere in their accusations it will become evident immediately to authorities who will go all out to protect them and seperate them from the abusive parent. Don't wait, do it now, would be my hearfelt plea.

God Bless,

SR

i told you...purely hypothetical

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It's a good question. If the child tells but there's no proof, the child is still stuck with the abusive parent, and the parent would likely react even worse to the child.

If I were the victim, I wouldn't tell right away. I'd wait till I had proof, go to someone who could help, and at that point the proof would be enough to keep me from having to go back. Unfortunately that'd mean getting beat first, but it could be worse if you tell and yet are stuck with that person still. Until your 18 you're stuck with your legal guardian unless their proven to being unable to care for a minor.

It's a bad situation to be sure, but getting out of it (and staying out of it) requires caution and the guarantee that you'd not have to go back.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
It's a good question. If the child tells but there's no proof, the child is still stuck with the abusive parent, and the parent would likely react even worse to the child.

If I were the victim, I wouldn't tell right away. I'd wait till I had proof, go to someone who could help, and at that point the proof would be enough to keep me from having to go back. Unfortunately that'd mean getting beat first, but it could be worse if you tell and yet are stuck with that person still. Until your 18 you're stuck with your legal guardian unless their proven to being unable to care for a minor.

It's a bad situation to be sure, but getting out of it (and staying out of it) requires caution and the guarantee that you'd not have to go back.

i agree...and thats my main concern...what if this child does tell, and there is no reasonable proof, dear old dad could deny it all, and get by with it, it would be my word against his, and who do you think people would be more likely to believe? and then what? the child gets to go back home and receive the beating of her life?

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
My advice would be to have the child tell an adult.

An adult (or maybe even the child) could make an anonymous report to the local police department.

Or, the child could go down to the police station and speak to one of the officers, explain the situation that he or she has no physical proof of abuse, and if an investigation is conducted, maybe the police don't have to bring up why there is an investigation in order to protect the child's safety.

In any case, the child should seek help IMMEDIATELY, especially if the parent is making death threats. Abuse doesn't just go away out of nowhere.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
One would also hope that said child has a responsible family member that the state would hopefully place them with, as some foster and group homes are as bad, if not worse than the situation that they are coming from. The system that is supposed to protect these kids is definitely not perfect.

new topics

top topics

join