It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea`s nuke test triggered earthquakes: Geologists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Source

Between October 9 and 11, the Phillippines islands experienced nearly 10 quakes with magnitudes varying from 4.2 to 6.3 on the Richter scale.

Taiwan recorded a 5.6-magnitude quake, while Japan recorded a 5.8-magnitude temblor on October 10. Similarly, Kuril islands experienced a 6-magnitude quake yesterday, they said.

A plot of the epicentres on the tectonic map of East Asia clearly demonstrates the nuclear test released stress along the subduction zone, the geologists pointed out.

A 5.8-magnitude quake shook northern Japan on Tuesday evening, sparking fears that it was a second nuclear test by North Korea but this was proved wrong later.

Instead, seismologists detected a series of earthquakes near Japan.

Pyongyong`s first nuclear test created an artificial earthquake measuring 4.2 on the Richter scale, according to United States Geological Survey (USGS).

Bureau Report

So it appears that it was North Korea that set off a series of earthquakes recently jolting lots of areas.
Because of the damage caused, I wonder if this could be construed as an attack?

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
That's really messed up. Somehow, Bush will say he's "green" so he can start a new war maybe. I wonder if Kim Jong Il will say anything?

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
This sounds interesting. If North Korea conducts a bigger nuclear test, other nations could literally attack North Korea seeing it as an act of war especially if other nations have even bigger earthquakes after North Korea sets off another nuke or series of major quakes.

All it would take is the appearance of a direct link to what North Korea is doing to get tempers flaring and people ready to bomb NK especially if NK insists on continuing to cause trouble. These earthquakes if the link held up, could be worse than nuking a country. If NK keeps testing, the US and other countries may be ready to do some massive above ground testing of their nukes all across North Korea along with a few bunker busting nukes. NK won't need to worry about going to six party talks after that. I really would not like the radiation cloud that might drift around the world so hopefully NK will stop testing.

I guess we could write an epitaph for North Korea. They played with fire. They got burned.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I think that nations will be saying their damage was caused by North Korea, therefore, it was an attack.

I wonder where this would lead???

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
?? Tectonic Terrorism ??

the NK scientists had to have been really crunching numbers and
schemeing and running scads of computer models to have
determined the correct test site.....the size of the nuke explosion

for the chain reaction to cause tremors in the reported countries...

but having just enough questioning to raise doubts that the NK
nuclear test was purposely designed to trigger those earthquakes.
seems like the stuff for a James Bond movie

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Escalating the violence would be the typical fool's solution in needlessly slaughtering millions of innocent people in the name of job security. You'd think we could come up with something better by now, rather than resorting to mass destruction.

So much for evolving...

New quake:
Magnitude 6.2 - VANUATU 2006 October 18 10:45:35 UTC

Fault zone maps can be found here:
Global Seismic Hazard Assessment Program (GSHAP)

I have seen some folks speculating that North Korea
was testing a nuclear powered Tesla Howitzer.

[edit on 18-10-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Strange thing that American(or other countries) tests don't "harm" nobody!?
wow talking about high-tech there or?

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Well THIS was no 'test'... Whole lotta shaking going on:

US Army AMMO DUMP ATTACK with secondarys
24.1MB 8 min 55 sec.

Absolutely amazing, AND took place Oct. 11 too.

BTW, one of the jokers on tv brought up the point that 10/11/06 backwards (and upside down, something like that) reads.... 9/11/01.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Kim Jong-Il probably got the idea from Lex Luther in the first Superman movie.

We all know he's a movie nut.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'm somewhat confused by the course this thread has taken...

Isn't the most important point that geologists believe the test triggered the subsequent quakes?

Of course, NK didn't plan that...

But now that there is scientific support for such a possibility, you can bet that there are those in the world exploring the matter further.

The Japanese must be completely freaking....

[edit on 18-10-2006 by loam]

top topics

join