It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blown out of Proportion?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Kill 'em with kindness. I always thought it was a great saying. Not too practical in the real world though!

But in cyberspace, now that opens up some possibilities.
I actually apologized to a poster the other day for making an off handed political remark to him! Invited him to the proper forum (PTS), and got a pleasant response.

Now, in the past this poster had a magnetic effect on me. Drawing me into negative orbit around his 'blackhole' of an intellect. But I thought to myself, This person doesn't know me from Adam, time to break free of the negativism that's been thrust on me!

And break free I did, and felt great ever since! I look forward to using this new found offensive weapon routinely.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I can't tell what your [sic] upset at. This thread or your threads for not taking life.

Sick of the sycophantic back slapping cliques.

Sick of the cultivated drama that takes away from the real issues, I thought this board was in existence to address.

Sick of this and this.

Sick of the rabid debunkers just here to deride those who inhabit a different reality tunnel; the political trolls obviously not here to exchange ideas, but rather to bark their belief systems at people, and deride anyone who dare think differently. "Go Red!" "No! Go Blue!".

Sick of those who seek to use race, colour, or creed to claim advantage in a half-assed game of one-upmanship.

Sick of people who post blurry indistinct pictures of blurry indistinct blurs, claiming that they have captured the mother-ship/TR-3B/Santa Clause on film [delete as applicable].

Sick of those who parrot "deny ignorance" the way Nike parrots "just do it" without stopping for two seconds to think about the meaning of those words.

Basically just sick. I didn't mean to offend you Chis, I wasn't talking about you alone when I mentioned wannabe mods, however, I do feel the moderators have been chosen for a reason, and we should let them do their jobs, without the membership wading in to dictate what should and shouldn't be done on this, a privately owned Internet forum.

And yes, this is all my opinion, and everyone's got one, and everyone else's stinks.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Speaking of the T&Cs:

From the ATS T&Cs:
1f.) Relevant Content: You will not post messages that are clearly outside of the stated topic of any forums nor disrupt a forum by deliberately posting repeated irrelevant messages or copies of identical messages (also known as "flooding").

From Simon Gray:
We've seen a recent rash of new one-line responses to posts that add nothing to the flow of discussion.

One Line or less Responses or "me too" atta-boy comments contribute nothing to the discussion. These include rows of smilies, "you're wrong", or other similar short responses.

So, all this talk of spooning, where does that fit in to the thread topic? And to my mind, adding some carriage returns so a post isn't "one-line" should result in the post being considered one line, and dealt with accordingly.

BH

I don't mind harsh, direct debating. I do however resent the use of words such as "retard", "ignorant", "stupid" and "pathetic" when describing my (and others) posts. And five pages of "I'm smarter than you" posts that contribute little other than chew up bandwith, annoy those who want to contribute meaningfully, and detract from the standard of ATS. And I come back to my original point. Moderators need to moderate, and I don't see it happening in some areas, particularly the weaponry and aircraft forums.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Sadly mistaken sir, you did not offend me in the least. You are more than welcome to your opinions, whether I agree with them or not.

Some members are very active in the BBQ Forums.

I'm curious why your activity in other forums is any more relavent than my or other members activity in this forum.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
First,
The spooning concept/aspect is a good thing in most any/all circumstances. It brings us closer.

Willard,
To an extent, I share your views on a detraction of overall content and/or member contributions. However, any sizeable Community will experience "trends" from time to time ... some good and some bad.

As for the Weaponry forum, I'm aware of a few moderators, including myself, who are seeking a cleanup/re-organization effort to return it to the
"Military weapons technology past, present, and future."
for which it was initially designed/intended.
Void of the chit chat-related "who would win", "which is better", and "what's the best"-type posts/threads.

As always, and for Any member, Please use the "complain" feature to report that which you feel is Off-Topic and/or disproportionate regarding a given Topic.

While we try, we can't be everywhere at once. You, as a member, have the ability, the right, and duty to exercise concern over that which you feel requires staff action.

A "Complain" ensures review by All staff members, regardless of whether individual action/acknowledgement is realized.

Just Sayin'

[edit on 10/17/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I'm curious why your activity in other forums is any more relavent [sic] than my or other members activity in this forum.

Why call me "Sir"? I am not, never have been, or never will be a knight of the realm, please point your condescension someplace else.

Why put words in my mouth, is it not clear that I have more than enough of my own?

What I am talking about here, is not the extent of activity, but the direction in which the activity is directed. What exactly prompted the creation of this thread for example? Have you stated anything in the OP that could not have been reasonably added to the "day of kindness" love in. I think not. More drama, more back slapping, meanwhile, the constant propagation of myths and lies in the real world continues while keen minds are distracted by board drama.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Good Thread Chiss...

Semper

ps.

I AINT spoonin anyone

S

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willard856
So, all this talk of spooning, where does that fit in to the thread topic? And to my mind, adding some carriage returns so a post isn't "one-line" should result in the post being considered one line, and dealt with accordingly.

First of all, spooning is an important topic in the gratuitous use of kindness. Spooning could very well end all wars one day.

On a more serious note my use of spooning is a form of allegory (the other Mods and astute members such as Chissler know this I'm sure.)

People could be less dramatic. Case in point, a public and dramatic call for the subject of spooning and those who mention it to be "dealt with accordingly." This thread was about NOT being so dramatic.

Maybe some spooning?

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
You know, there are a lot of things I am sick of. But, I am never sick of people being kind and being polite. Heck, they don't even have to be kind. As long as they display manners and tact when they post.

Maybe manners aren't something that are of worth these days as well.

[edit on 17-10-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
You know, there are a lot of things I am sick of. But, I am never sick of people being kind and being polite. Heck, they don't even have to be kind. As long as they display manners and tact when they post.

Maybe manners aren't something that are of worth these days as well.

You know...in many cultures, it's fine to grunt and burp when you eat and even help yourself from communal plates of food. In some countries, the pinkie finger needs to be extended, eating soup requires the spoon to be dipped away from you, and the salad fork is the one on the far left.

The point is, on a global board...who am I (or you or anyone) to dictate to others what constitutes as proper manners?

I'm not even getting into the subject of how people read emotion that is not there or not intended into the written word. There are whole courses that teach about that.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
But, the thing is this. I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I know why this thread was created. It was because I suggested that we could possibly have "A Day of Kindness" on the board.

I was not criticizing anyone. I was not criticizing the board.

But, for some, it turned out that way. It makes me feel that the discussion of ways to promote fellowship are all for naught.

I don't want to legislate anyone's behavior. That is the last thing I wanted to do. But, it would be nice if there was a reminder for politeness. People can either take it or flush it down the toilet. It's their choice.

But don't take it out on the messenger.

[edit on 17-10-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
thar shall be no spoon in this here puddin'

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
ZZZ

First of all, spooning is an important topic in the gratuitous use of kindness. Spooning could very well end all wars one day.

I really don't need to be talked to like a six year old. Condescending and totally pointless comments such as this is the exact behaviour that I'm talking about that is causing ATS to slowly implode into just another average message board.

On a more serious note my use of spooning is a form of allegory (the other Mods and astute members such as Chissler know this I'm sure.)

So by association I'm obviously not an "astute" member? Sorry if I'm not part of the in club. I thought my contribution to ATS over the last few years was worthwhile, both in terms of content, quality and community support, but I see now that unless you are an "astute" member, you really ain't diddly. Thanks for putting me in my place.

People could be less dramatic. Case in point, a public and dramatic call for the subject of spooning and those who mention it to be "dealt with accordingly." This thread was about NOT being so dramatic.

Actually, the "dealt with accordingly" comment had to do with one-liners. The question on spooning had to do with its relevance to the topic at hand, allegorical merit or otherwise, and why a group of moderators are entitled to flaunt the T&Cs of the site. And "dealt with accordingly" was used by Chissler in his original post regarding how mods deal with T&C violations and unsocial behaviour, so please don't try and turn me into the dramatic one. My contention is that violations such as this aren't being dealt with effectively, and that with more people joining ATS, sheer volume dictates that a strong and effective moderator team is needed.

And this thread had nothing to do with being dramatic. It is about whether changes to ATS are needed for a range of reasons. Chissler doesn't think so, I however do. My contention was that the quality and quantity of moderation needs to be examined. Given the responses to this thread by some mods, I don't think my hypothesis was too far off the mark.

Maybe some spooning?

Maybe some grown-up, adult conversation?

I'm on a hiding to nothing here, I can see by the responses. You may not like what I'm saying. But I'm saying it, not for personal reward or glory, but because I genuinely believe that it is something that needs to be said, and fixed. Some of the mods on here do great work. Majic in particular does a great job of steering debate and keeping things on the rails. 12m8keall2c, Masqua and Asala are also mods I have a lot of respect for. There are others. But respect also works both ways. Your post demonstrated absolutely no respect towards me, and the seriousness with which I take this subject. It saddens and disappoints me that the community I once felt a genuine part of is slowly dying a death by a thousand cuts. And having vocalised my concerns, I now see by the response that there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Your post demonstrated absolutely no respect towards me, and the seriousness with which I take this subject.

Wait, you are serious about this subject, which is about not blowing things out of proportion and taking things too seriously?

Then all seriousness aside, perhaps you can forgive my pathetic attempts to add some humor into ATS in the face of all this seriousness. You're correct...humor is overrated.

I'll stay quiet and let everyone get back to serious.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

It saddens and disappoints me that the community I once felt a genuine part of is slowly dying a death by a thousand cuts.

That is completely untrue by the way. There are a plethora of boards that have little or no Moderation. ATS is one of the best on the internet.

Show me one that is better.

Hmmm, how did this become a "bash theMods thread" when its about things being blown ot of proportion? Oh, nevermind. I answered my own question.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Wait, you are serious about this subject, which is about not blowing things out of proportion and taking things too seriously?

Then all seriousness aside, perhaps you can forgive my pathetic attempts to add some humor into ATS in the face of all this seriousness. You're correct...humor is overrated.

I'll stay quiet and let everyone get back to serious.

As a moderator, I would have expected a slightly more mature response. One that addressed the issues I raised rather than exhibit a somewhat childish response to criticism.

That is completely untrue by the way. There are a plethora of boards that have little or no Moderation. ATS is one of the best on the internet.

Show me one that is better.

Hmmm, how did this become a "bash theMods thread" when its about things being blown ot of proportion? Oh, nevermind. I answered my own question.

ATS won't be one of the best if you continue to stick your head in the sand. I'm not saying there are better boards. I'm saying this one isn't as good as it was. And speaking of dramatics, "bash the mod" is a little over the top don't you think? I've already expressed my admiration for the work of many of the moderator clan, both in this thread and others, so don't try to turn me into the bad guy for offering criticism. Even in this thread, with so many moderators taking an interest, and with someone trying to offer a point of view that is counter to the majority view, there hasn't been a single example of effective moderation.

Fine, if you don't want to improve, if you want to think things are all rosey and going swimmingly, enjoy ATS. I still find it sad that a member can express concerns, and all they get (from a super mod no less) is ridicule and disrespect.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The only thing I'd like to see improved is keeping threads on topic. Sometimes mods do a good job to prevent thread derailment... other times it seems to go unnoticed.

Sarcasm and heated discussions I don't mind... but when someone derails an intelligent discussion, thereby causing me to lose my interest in a particular thread I get upset. You don't want to make Kruel upset.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Why call me "Sir"? I am not, never have been, or never will be a knight of the realm, please point your condescension someplace else.

You can call it condoscending, I see it as a form of respect. I would much rather be referred to as Sir than bud, kid, pal, etc. So, no apologies on being respectful to a fellow member.

What I am talking about here, is not the extent of activity, but the direction in which the activity is directed. What exactly prompted the creation of this thread for example? Have you stated anything in the OP that could not have been reasonably added to the "day of kindness" love in. I think not.

You bring up a great point. However, you have me all wrong if you think I do this to create drama. I had this set to add-on to c's thread on Day of Kindness, but I felt the angle I was taking would of been completely off-topic and possible hijacking of his purpose. That thread is to have members kind to each other for a day, this is a discussion of a percentage of our members blowing things out of proportion. So hopefully you can see why I felt it may of deserved a thread of its own.

More drama, more back slapping, meanwhile, the constant propagation of myths and lies in the real world continues while keen minds are distracted by board drama.

No Sir. The ONLY drama in this thread is what you have put in it. This was a valid discussion, until you entered and turned it into the latest drama fest.

Read the posts before you entered, it was a valid point being discussed with some humor. Enter Implosion, well it appears things have taken a turn.

You sir, are the drama.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

But with all this talk of behaviour on ATS as of late, I need to ask if this being completely blown out of proportion?

Ok, things DO get blown out of proportion. That is the point of this thread, so the question has been asked...why would we fill ATS with public executions? Or in another form, why does there have to be such public trashing of people?

I personalally think it stems from a few things such as reading our own emotions into someone's written work and holding people to standards that are unrealistic.

Sometimes people write things, but when WE read them...we add emotion that is not there. People have to take responsibility for that component. Have I done that? Absolutely, and when I realize the mistake I try and correct it immediately (along with a good head-bash into a wall.)

We also hold people to standard WE set for them. Those standards are always impossibly high and then people CAN'T meet them. Picture the perfect boyfriend/girlfriend. Nobody can ever meet the perfect list. We set them up for failure.

In the case of Staff here, we all had some fun in this thread. We do a hard job, we see a lot of crazy drama, and sometimes we see humor that others don't because we are here so much...we get to know people's online personalities better then most. People know that "spooning" was not about derailing a great thread. It was about not being so serious all the time and blowing things out of proportion.

Do people have unreal expectations for us? Of course they do. Either we're too strict, too relaxed, too overbearing, not controling enough, too sarcastic, too serious, too opinionated, not opinionated enough, etc, etc. We have unreal expectations put on us all the time.

Now that is just the Staff here. Think of the same things members do to each other. Make no mistake...Mods post far less then members in general. Think of the expectations YOU set on the other members here. Maybe even outside of here. In your personal life...expectations set on husbands, wives, kids, co-workers, drivers in other cars, the slow lady with the shopping cart in front of you at the store.

When people don't meet some impossible level WE set for them, then things begin to be blown out of proportion. Think of when people say to you.

"You're always ______."
"You're never _______."
"You should have ________."
"Why didn't you ________?"
"Why don't you _________?"

Realize that by making some of these statements, THEY are putting their own expectations on you. Sure people can meet them IF they are realistic. Many times people can't though. Look at the divorce rate in the USA. It over 50% because people meet, enjoy some good years, and then realize that their partner is not what THEY imagined they would be. He's not so romantic, she's not so thoughtful, he just won't change, she is too demanding...

Those are the ones we love. Now imagine total stranges that post on the internet. They never post what we what to see or what we expect from them, do they? The focus word being "we" in that last sentence.

In the end, we all have the tendency to blow things out of proportion. Think about something silly like "spooning", relax a bit, and realize that all people have good in them if WE choose to see it.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Enter Implosion, well it appears things have taken a turn.

You sir, are the drama.

Obviously, how dare I call you on your blatant sycophantic B.S.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join