It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist: Nuclear Fallout Survival

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
My own personal fear of what Situation X may be is nuclear detonations by either terrorist organizations or rouge states (Iran, DPRK).

So, you see the flash and the mushroom cloud, and your not caught in the blast, what do you do? Most people in the younger generations didn't get the nuclear war videos/classes as some of those in the 50s and 60s. A vast majority of the country doesn't know what to do. Here's a few links that might help some of us to be a little more prepared:

External link - The Nuclear War Survival Skills (NWSS) eBook

This must-have free book (not avaliable for download, but you can purchase it on CD-Rom also) is very informative on the effects of fallout, and how to protect yourself, including possible warning signs of a nuclear attack, how to build expediant fallout shelters, how to build an simple radiation detector out of household items. This book is a little outdated (they keep referring to the USSR), but has valuable and possibly life saving advice.

External Link - Nuclear Cover : Fallout Shelter Locator

This is a community-run fallout shelter locator, in which you can find, or submit fallout shelters in your area.

External Link - Nuclear Fallout Map

This map is yet again a little outdated (last updated 2000) but shows how fallout may be carried across the country should a large-scale nuclear attack happen. This was shown in another thread a while ago, and though it was pointed out that the fallout patterns would be smaller, I say better safe then sorry.

Please take a look at some of these and post any of your tips/tricks/ideas (orangetom I know you have a few) on how to survive nuclear fallout should it ever become Situation X. I have an idea on a perminant fallout shelter that I have been brainstorming about which I will post here should it be plausable and/or cost-effective.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
First of all the '50s "educational" videos for nuclear war situation must be concidered as propaganda and a mean to pacify the masses. So following those may not be wise.

my survival kit for allout nuclear war is a six-pack of vodka and box of beer

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Good info DIAB... I'd like to point out that the early Cold War info is based on the MAD scenario where basically the US and USSR would trade their nuclear arsenals. In addition, with the significant improvement in guidance systems the yield-size of the warheads has been reduced significantly. The vast majority of warheads floating around the world today are in the 200kt ballpark (as opposed to the MT sized weapons of the early Cold War).

Our biggest threat is from a terrorist group positioning one or more devices around the US. We hear alot about these 'suitcase nukes'. It would be more likely that they were able to acquire one or more warheads from the former Soviet arsenal. Again, these would likely be in the 200kt range. An attack by a rogue state (that is, a ballistic attack via missile) is far less likely. Every country on the planet knows the consequences of launching an attack that can be tracked back to them. Not to mention the level of sophistication needed to develop a ballistically deliverable device.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Some of us were posting along this line in a thread titled " How to defend yourself on a budget'

What Drop In A Bucket has done is take these concerns to the next logical level. Well done!!

This is the next logical step in the previous thread.

IF you or your family do not survive such a event ..most of your concerns are over. If not you have real problems. Once again ..some preparation is in order along with the thinking/training to overcome the obstacles.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DropInABucket
External Link - Nuclear Cover : Fallout Shelter Locator

This is a community-run fallout shelter locator, in which you can find, or submit fallout shelters in your area.

Great, closest fallout shelter for me is in Texas (I live in Wisconsin). I'm toast.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
First of all the '50s "educational" videos for nuclear war situation must be concidered as propaganda and a mean to pacify the masses. So following those may not be wise.

Propaganda or not, those videos did give some training to the public on what to do should a nuclear weapon go off in their vicinity. Albeit "Duck and Cover" won't really protect you from the fireball or overpreassure very well. My generation (I'm in my mid 20s) hardly even remembers the threat of nuclear war with Russia since the Cold War was dying in our childhood. We did not recieve any form of education on the subject of nuclear weapons, other than learning about Hiroshima and Nagisaki in history class.

Originally posted by jtma508
I'd like to point out that the early Cold War info is based on the MAD scenario where basically the US and USSR would trade their nuclear arsenals.

Our biggest threat is from a terrorist group positioning one or more devices around the US. We hear alot about these 'suitcase nukes'.

I understand that Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) has an extremely low probability rate. But even if it is one city that is attacked, and even if it is only a 200kt nuke. Those people caught downwind of the blast will still need fallout protection. Which is the purpose of this thread.

Originally posted by mecheng
Great, closest fallout shelter for me is in Texas (I live in Wisconsin). I'm toast.

As I said originally, this is community run website, I'm in the same boat as the closest to me is Texas too (and I'm in Missouri). I'm contacting the city hall of my town and of the big city that I'm in a suburb of, and getting a list of all known fallout shelters in the area. Then I'll have a fun night of Data Entry.

Its not really a matter of if it is really going to happen or not, because the threat is there more now then it has been in the last 20 years. Its a matter of if it happens and your one of the unlucky ones near that one, two, or fifteen cities that a 200kt, 1mt, or 10mt bomb goes off, wouldn't you want to be prepared?

Fission, Fusion, and "dirty bombs" all produce radioactive fallout in one way shape or form. And those are 3 things that a lot of nutjobs out in the world want really bad right now, and they want to use it on the Western World.

***edited for grammar***

[edit on 18-10-2006 by DropInABucket]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DropInABucketAs I said originally, this is community run website.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted... duh.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Interesting Info Dropinabucket.

Heres a good tip if the unthinkable happens:

Find a cave with lots of bats in(do this now,not when the bomb hits).
Move into the cave-you can supplement your food store with bats,and use their waste as fuel to cook with.Good for underground water supply too.

I know-eating bats is probably gross,but I would in a Nuke situation and I am a Vegetarian.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Sorry about the first short post to this thread, i had to rush my grandpa to hospital.

I'll note at first that i'm from Finland, so my situation may differ greatly from those of you living in USA.
Out here we have shelters in every appartment house and in all public buildings, so finding a short term shelter is not a problem.
Most men here have been through military NBC survival training so basic knowlegde about surviving nuclear weapon effects is common and wide spread among the population (about 85% of male population has served in the army and about 5% of females)

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Sounds like Finland is a lot more prepared for a nuclear event than The USA or the UK.
Its good to be prepared.
I think if anything that horrid happened in Britain,most people wouldn`t have a clue how to survive.
Hope your Grandpa is OK.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
My comment about MAD was directed at the doomsayer poster, not you DIAB. I'm in agreement with you. As for community fallout shelters, if you live in a multi-family building (apartments or condos) or are caught in-transit they will be your only recourse. Hospitals, municipal buildings or large schools (particularly older ones) are your best bet. Most have shelters but do not advertise them (as they are designed for their occupants). Will you be turned away? Who knows. But if you live in a single family home your very best bet is to prepare a 'shelter' now. Putting yourself together with lots of scared, ill-prepared people in an under-equipped shelter for a number of days or weeks may be a mistake. Think Katrina.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Here are some more links to info about fallout/shelters and other important things about a nuclear attack.

www.ki4u.com...

www.nukepills.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com... - This thread has a ton of info

www.survive-nbc.org...

www.radshelters4u.com...

www.oism.org...

www.slate.com...

www.hps.org...

www.english.ilstu.edu...

I can post more as I find them

[edit on 18-10-2006 by enjoies05]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
after reading the deathlands series of books and playing fallout 1 and 2 through to completion several times each, i'm stoked to see other people interested in this topic.

it's important to note that, as stated above, massive scale nuclear war isn't very likely to happen anytime soon. dirty nukes, which are FAR more dangerous, are also a lot more likely. they'd probably be small in size, but they'd still do quite a bit of damage in the initial blast, and the fallout from one of those suckers is nasty as it comes.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
after reading the deathlands series of books and playing fallout 1 and 2 through to completion several times each, i'm stoked to see other people interested in this topic.

it's important to note that, as stated above, massive scale nuclear war isn't very likely to happen anytime soon. dirty nukes, which are FAR more dangerous, are also a lot more likely. they'd probably be small in size, but they'd still do quite a bit of damage in the initial blast, and the fallout from one of those suckers is nasty as it comes.

lol lol lol

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
damn man, you like making me feel like an idiot, huh? this isn't the first time.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
damn man, you like making me feel like an idiot, huh? this isn't the first time.

No man..its not that ..Its just that I was in a reactor earlier tonight.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
This is, in my humble opinion, scaremongering at it's very worst or, at the very least, pandering to the terrorist - which of course is what he or she wants.

There will never be a nuclear exchange between the United States of America and any other country in the world because, apart from China or the former Soviet Union, no other country has the weapons or more importantly, the means and the will, to use them. The other reason is that the semi-trained monkey now occupying the White House, will soon be leaving office and the world will be a safer place.

Having said that, thanks to UN/UK/US foreign policies, there are enough countries being run by despotic or demonic dictators who would give their arms and legs for a nuclear weapon. Ain't gonner happen! Period!

Terrorist groups around the world hanker after the Holy Grail - that unobtainable Weapon of Mass Destruction - a nuclear device. BUT, they really do not need a nuclear device to wreak havoc anywhere in the continental United States. They have in their arsenal, the biggest weapon they could ever hope to employ - Mass Hysteria!

Just look what happened the other day when a rock star inadvertantly flew into the side of a building. Near panic.

However, having said all that, should diplomacy deteriorate to an all time low, here's what you do:

1. Dig a trench in your garden (UK) or back yard [US] 6 feet long x 6 feet deep and 2 foot wide.

2. At one end of the trench, dig another smaller trench off at a right angle - about 4 x 4 x 2.

3. When all digging is complete, reinforce the sides with wrinkly tin and 6 or 2 foot metal pickets.

4. Having completed the reinforcing, return to your small trench, dig down not less than 20 feet and construct a room to your own specifications.

5. When you have completed your hideaway room, stock it with beds, sanitary arrangements, tinned food, bottled water and an air purification system with spare filters and a generator plus spare fuel.

6. By now, you should be happy with your construction but will need to provide top cover. Over the trenches place wooden support beams but NOT concrete or steel RSJs. [Note: the support beams should be long enough to overlap your trenches by at least 2 foot either side]

7. Cover these with heavy duty tarps and nail firmly in place.

8. Over this, pile all the soil from your excavations and tamp down until firm, then replace the sods or grass.

You have now finished your own nuclear trench and bunker which has only cost you a couple of hundred £s or $s and, more importantly, you can survive a nuclear event.

Incidentally, the top cover should be not less than 18 inches of compacted soil.

Of course there may well be a nuclear exchange between the US and the UK if we don't get our independance back!

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Fritz,
You have made some good posts on ATS but this one ,other than your shelter plans is not worthy of your talents.

There will never be a nuclear exchange between the United States of America and any other country in the world because, apart from China or the former Soviet Union, no other country has the weapons or more importantly, the means and the will, to use them. The other reason is that the semi-trained monkey now occupying the White House, will soon be leaving office and the world will be a safer place.

With this part of your post in mind I will illustrate a semi trained monkey in office. I speak of course of the previous administration wont to carry out the skills and demands of the office by polling results. This is clearly semi trained monkey skills.
Suggest some practice on your part here. Not everyone out here forgets this history. This is also hysteria..polling results!!

Having said that, thanks to UN/UK/US foreign policies, there are enough countries being run by despotic or demonic dictators who would give their arms and legs for a nuclear weapon. Ain't gonner happen! Period!

Your in the UK right?? Think this through...carefully.

Just look what happened the other day when a rock star inadvertantly flew into the side of a building. Near panic.

This was a baseball pitcher not a rock star. If it was a rock star the media and the public would be grieving for months in "hysteria." This is known to people not publicly educated (hysteria educated) as a clear fingerprint of our media and politicians.

Of course there may well be a nuclear exchange between the US and the UK if we don't get our independance back!

Your post itself borders on hysteria. Do you need a makeover here or other than your shelter plans are you trying to make a point or give advice to those seeking knowlege of these affairs should such a event occur?? I dont believe the original poster was asking for your political views on this.

You have definitely made some good posts on ATS..so this one of yours is a dissappointment and not worthy of your obvious talents.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 19-10-2006 by orangetom1999]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
origionallly posted by Fritz
"Of course there may well be a nuclear exchange between the US and the UK if we don't get our independance back! "

No chance mate,back in the 80s The USA took control of our nukes-we can`t fire squat unless they provide us with the decryption codes...and only then can we fire them at who they say.
Kind of makes our nuclear "deterrent" a little pointless and maybe even very Dangerous for us i think.
How many nukes did the Russkies have pointed at us during the cold war?
Enough to wipe out Blighty I`ll warrant.
So if the Americans and Russians had an exchange,goodbye UK.

I hear what your saying about getting our independance back though.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
my survival kit for allout nuclear war is a six-pack of vodka and box of beer

Jez,

Only a six pack and a box?, we're not going to a school social here. Damn its a NUCLEAR war. We need at least double that for the first night

[edit on 19-10-2006 by chinawhite]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join