It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The concept of Leys

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I would like to get some general opinions on Leys and what you guys think of them. Whether or not you find these to be a real thing or just a figment of the imagination. For those of you who are not familiar with Leys, here is a little background.

Leys, pronounced "lays" are thought to be patterns of invisible tracks or lines having a complex power in the ground which seem to link sacred places and natural magical sites. It is theorized in modern witchcraft and neo-paganism that these patterns or alignments are vital for their apparent connection to the forces of the elements, the basis of natural magic.

Although most scientists reject the concept, the leys idea enjoyed popularity until the 1940s and the decreased. It was not until the 1960s and 1970s that it revived. Speculation is that the latter was mainly due to the increase in psychic and occult interests. Some use the term ley lines when referring to leys which many feel is inappropriate.

Not all alignments signify genuine leys. Modern ley-hunters who map leys have established some requirements: there is a straight line within a certain distance extending between two or more aligned sites, such as a standing stone, a church site, a pagan sacred site, a burial mound, or a mountain, etc. Some alignments are astronomical, such as where the sun rises at Beltane, the solstices or equinoxes. Some ley-hunters say at least five alignments within ten miles are required, while other say five within 25 miles. In addition, dowsers require the energy line be dowsable.

Points of leys, or leys centers, are places which radiate energy from at least seven lines over magnetic fields or blind springs, a primary spiral of converging primary geodetic lines (the shortest lines between two points on a curved surface). There is speculation that ancient pagan people sensed these points of energy radiation and situated their sacred worshipping places atop or around them.

The vital force of the energy charge is classed as either male or female depending on its rate of vibration, and it is believed to be present in all living material. This charge may be natural or artificial. In centers the artificial charge can be introduced by handling of stones or metals. Whether natural or artificial charges dissipate over time unless they are fixed by hammering, heating, or a magnetic field is presence.

Stones themselves can be charged and fixed with a certain magnitude of charge or power. This has been stated by J. Havelock Fidler, a British agricultural scientist and dowser. The stone employed in constructing megalithic monuments, churches, holy wells and temples are charged by handling, and then fixed by being shaped and fitted in place by blows from axes and chisels. Fidler said the stone's charge was increased according to the number of blows it received.

Therefore, the charge in megaliths was considered to be very great. Also, helping to increase the megalithic charge, Fidler speculated, was the raising of the Cone of Power by witches and pagans. During his experiments Fidler discovered he could impact greater charges to stones during the full moon, the time of greatest magical and psychic power.

According to British folklore, the ground itself can be charged and fixed. There was an ancient custom known as "beating the parish bounds." The priest and choirboys of a church would go around the parish perimeter using rods with which they would beat the ground. Presumably this procedure was believed to erect a protective barrier around the parish.

It is thought fire also fixes a charge. Charges were found at cremation pits, burials (such as those at Stonehenge), sacrificial pits, and the burning of wood.

Also, Fidler discovered that while the geomagnetic forces surrounding the ley centers emit beneficial energy, the stones themselves seem to emit a type of energy detrimental to animate objects. This latter energy is apparently counteracted by the leys themselves, which redirect the energy to other centers where it can be neutralized.

Charges at one time may have been deliberately masked. Certain types of wood, such as elm and elderberry; metals such as iron; and mineral substances such as salt, quartz crystals, amethysis, jasper and flint have been shown to mask charged stones. (It is interesting to note that iron, salt, elm, and elderberry are all revered in folklore for their protective properties against bewitchment, illness, demons and bad fortune.)

Leys, or straight path systems, are speculated to exist in the United Kingdom, perhaps in France and the United States. There is also speculation of their existence in Peru and Bolivia. In Peru, from the Sun Temple at the center of the city of Cuzco, 41 lines called ceques spread out into the country, marked by various shrines, hills, bridges, and other sites, some of them being astronomical sight lines. In Bolivia holy tracks have been shown to coverage on Indian shrines at top of holy hills.

Let me know what you all think. Do you believe these Leys exist?

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I am VERY glad you posted this information. I was searching for more info on Ley lines here and didn't get much interest. I'm VERY interested.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by nyk537
It is thought fire also fixes a charge.

I wonder if this has any effect on the soul of a person who is cremated. The soul leaves the body, but if it is hanging around and the body is burned .. the fire could influence the souls energy perhaps.

I know almost nothing about ley lines but I am very interested in finding out about them. Post any and all info you find/know please. books ...etc.

Ohhhh .. you have made my day!!! thank you!!
Liz (FlyersFan)

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I'm sitting on the fence about leys personally, though my grandma is a firm believer in them, she says that she can feel the energy coming from the ground when she's around one.

Modern science, in my opinion, is wrong in many aspects, so leys could exist. The fact that many people claim to 'feel' them lends truth to the fact.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Liz,

Glad I could make someones day! Yes the subject of Ley lines has always interested me very much. I decided to do a little more research this morning and will continue to do so. I hope we can find a few more people that share this interest so we can make some headway on the subject. I will keep gathering some more information as the day progresses, and I hope you will do the same. Let's try and find some more people to contribute, perhaps we can turn this thread into sort of a research forum on the subject. I'll post back later with some more information.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
as i see it, anything under the surface creates a disturbance in the 'continium' i.e. electromagnetic spectrum...the fabric of space gets distorted by anything like pools of water, pockets of gas, concentrations of minerals, ore, caves...
even old river beds where concentrations of fossils can be found

all of these objects, and many many other buried things can/will cause
either gravity or conductivity in the soil to deviate...
dowsers and others that are 'sensitive' to read/interpet these warps or vortices
in the fabric of space(electromagnetic spectrum) can plot these points

it is when all these markers are observed that the human mind coordinates these
'power points' into the idea of "ley Line".
What we have come to identify as a ley line might actually been a trail or path , or perhaps a migration route, a riverbed, a deeply burried meteorite,
cavities in the earth, prehistoric settlements, ancient foundation stones, firepits, etc etc...

When doing dowsing, i had a whole bunch of 'noise' from utility lines (both above ground & below), sewers, drains, & modern grid stuff to eliminate from the mental maps i need to compose of the area being dowsed, and i will have to make many passages to create the subterranian topography representation... sorta like a poor man's ground penetrating radar system, the ancients method had to make a real-time, 3-D, holographic map in their head- which was also being constantly modified as new readings of very slight variations were being included & interpeted.

more study of & about 'Ley Lines' would be nice
the knowledge may help, assist geologists, even anthropoligists digs, or fossil hunters expeditions

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Found a little more information that gives a few different possibilites for Ley Lines. There are several major areas of interpretation:

Archaeological: A new area of archaeological study, archaeogeodesy, examines geodesy as practiced in prehistoric time, and as evidenced by archaeological remains. One major aspect of modern geodesy is surveying. As interpreted by geodesy, the so-called ley lines can be the product of ancient surveying, property markings, or commonly travelled pathways. Numerous societies, ancient and modern, employ straight lines between points of use; archaeologists have documented these traditions. Modern surveying also results in placement of constructs in lines on the landscape. It is reasonable to expect human constructs and activity areas to reflect human use of lines.

Cultural: Many cultures use straight lines across the landscape. In South America, such lines often are directed towards mountain peaks; the Nazca lines are a famous example of lengthy lines made by ancient cultures. Straight lines connect ancient pyramids in Mexico; today, modern roads built on the ancient roads deviate around the massive pyramids. The Chaco culture of Northeastern New Mexico cut stairs into sandstone cliffs to facilitate keeping roads straight.

New Age: Some writers (widely regarded as pseudoscientific) have claimed that the ley lines and their intersection points resonate a special psychic or magical energy. These theories often include elements such as geomancy, dowsing or UFOs, stating that, for instance, UFO's travel along ley lines (in the way that one might observe that cars use roads and highways). Some similarly believe these points on lines have electrical or magnetic forces associated with them.

Skeptical: Skeptics of the actuality of ley lines often classify them as pseudoscience. Such skeptics tend to doubt that ley lines were planned or made by ancient cultures, and argue that apparent ley lines can be readily explained without resorting to extraordinary or pseudoscientific ideas.

Those are just a few more opinions as to what these lines could be. I'm still not sure what to think personally, but that's why we're doing research. Let me know what you guys think.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
thanks for this topic! Now my question about ley lines that are in Washington DC.
Are those considered to be culture ley lines, the roads leading to the white house, and the set configuration of the streets and roads in our capital?

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Hmm. You know I'm really not sure about those particular lines. I'll try and find out though. Does anyone else out there have anything to add about Ley lines? Anything any of you can contribute would help. As I said, I would like to turn this into a research thread to discover more about these mysterious lines.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
thanks
Yes here are some links for research I have found this morning.. Very interesting stuff!! I think I have found a new project for this week.. Ley lines

and the person who studied them in our century Mr. Alfred Watkins.

witcombe.sbc.edu...

www.mystical-www.co.uk...

www.stonesofwonder.com...

www.leyman.demon.co.uk...

www.geo.org...

Just a few research sites I will be looking into today.. its my day off and found this to be right up my alley.. My personal exp with these ley lines are just a sense of knowing about them all my life without knowing the research that has gone into them.. I hope this helps a little bit

Ley, as a word, is akin to leoht (light illumination) and Middle English lea meaning "pasture land, a meadow which is open to the sun and therefore, at times, drenched with light." This connection of the word ley with light is significant on several levels. Physically, the clearing of tracks through the forest lights the way and marks the "ley of the land."

The word ley is related to ley, lee and lay. This etymological sequence describes a sort of cosmic roadway system upon which people traveled in pre-Renaissance times. First, lines were delineated by cleared hilltop notches (ley), then woodland through which the ley line passed was cleared (lay), and then the fields which domesticated the landscape were cleared (lee) with the names ley, lay, and lee applying to each stage of ley landscape development.

Edit.. This is what it boils down to here.. and now I understand why I always knew, yet didnt know it by reading, we just do.. Becasue earth is alive.. Ive always felt this..
The theory that a location or site possesses supernatural energies which can sometimes be marked by stone circles, standing stones, etc. The term "Earth Energies" is connected with topics from Fen Shui to Ley Lines and fundamentally argues that Planet Earth is a living planet and has energies which are produced by all living things passing around it that can be tapped into or channelled at specific locations. To date research has been done regarding changes in electromagnetic fields but science is still unable to fully explain (scientifically measure) the principals behind the concept and so it is still open to debate although a change in magnetic fields has in the past been recorded with no explanation as to why it should change.

[edit on 18-10-2006 by zysin5]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Oh it definately helps. Same for me. I have known about these all my life, but never really looked into them. That seems to be the case for most people. Hopefully we change that and gather some very good information here for everyone. I'll be doing some research today as well. Hopefully we'll have some good things to share later on. Good luck!

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
as a skeptic ,

a funny on topic annecdote is the attempted experiment i conducted in 1999 at glastonbury . with 5 believers , including two who chaimed to be " sensetive " [ my opoinion drifted from sensetive to " neurotic crybabies who were not fit to be left unsupervised
]

but the experiment was " could our ` sensetive ` friends locate an aledged ley line blind fold

the method was simple -- with our sensetives hooded to prevent visual orientation , -- we proceeded to drive them along the A361

30 minuites later , with several changes of direction -- we hand not located a single leyline which conformed to " leyline maps " , like this one :

the escuses included -- the metal of my van was `blocking ` them , " to " my negativity was disrupting them " .

we attempted to continue the experment on foot , but alas events were terminated by the police who turned up in force to investigate rumours of kidnapping .

i admit that we did have two girls with motorcycle crash helmet bags on thier heads
it must have looked strange

for obvious reasons , i have had little appetite to repeat this stunt . as being the registered keeper of the only vehicle involved -- i was assumed to be the ringleader -- and so i got to wear hand cuffs for 20 minuites because an inbred little tosser of a PC could not process our perfectly rational explainatio for events , and would not accept the " victims " word that they were not being kidnapped , or coerced .

thats my story -- but the fact remains , my first challenge would be for a supposed "dowser " to locate an established line blind .

my limited attempts indicated that this was impossible for my testees

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Interesting experiment. While I do beleive these Ley lines exist, I am also skeptic about those who claim to be able to "sense" them. I don't buy in to that theory very much. I beleive they are there, and for some specific reason, I am just not sure what.

I too would like to see some of these "dowsers" locate the lines without any knowledge of their location or orientation. If I knew any personally in my area, I would reconstruct your experiment for another go, but I don't.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
thanks for this topic! Now my question about ley lines that are in Washington DC.

I have read that there is a ley line that runs through the pentagon. I don't have links to anything about it. It is just something that I have read.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hmm. Thats interesting. I'll have to see if I can find something on that.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
www.geo.org...

This was EXCELLENT. Thank you. I think I will need some dousing rods. If anyone has any suggestions .. let me know.

Also - from what I am reading it seems that most folks say you don't 'tap into' ley lines. I thought you could. Anyone know more on this??? Expriences??

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Here we go. I found an interesting page that shows the connection of Washington D.C and Ley Lines. I haven't read it all yet, but I thought I would go ahead and share with you guys. Read over it and tell me what you think. Looks interesting.

Lines of Power

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Hey FF, dowsing rods are easy to come by. I've successfully used a set of copper clad welding rods that are simply bent 90 degrees for handles. You might want to try different lengths as some seem to work better than others. I work in a factory and the first experience I had was seeing some pipefitters walking around with a set. I asked what in the world they were doing and they said looking for a buried water line. They then explained that it's easier at first if the water is flowing and handed them to me and turned on a water fountain and said to walk over to it with the rods above it. Low and behold, they crossed! I was then walking all over the place finding things. To the skeptics, I really didn't want it to work at first and was trying my best to keep my hands still and then did it with my eyes shut while walking under a water line with someone else watching and it still worked. No mumbo jumbo, it just works for some reason.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Man, I need to get some Dowsing rods...

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I tried the dowsing rods in my front yard once, and they sure seemed to work. They would cross each other where my sprinkler pipes run. I used two old coat hangars. It's a neat trick.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
After reading the above link on the layout of Washington D.C. according to Ley Lines, I wonder if their are any other important landmarks around the world built according to these lines (at least supposedly). That should be something we should look for. Perhaps there is a pattern to the "types" of places built around the lines.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join