It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Songs you can't get out of your head

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
It's happened to you. It's happened to everybody. A song -- or part of one -- gets stuck in your head and refuses to be dislodged. It may be a song you like, but just as often it's a song you can't stand. But love it or hate it, there it is, zooming round and round your brain like a hyperactive child in a small room, and just as annoying.

Mostly, it's a temporary thing -- some advertising jingle or popular ditty of the day that claims your mind for a few hours, maybe a day or two, and then is gone. But there is music that can work its way into your brain and stay there for a lifetime. My ex-wife has a habit of humming Yellow Submarine whenever she is depressed, annoyed or just spinning her mental wheels. As for me, I have not one but two musical demons that recurrently gain possession of my mind. Fortunately, both are also personal favourites of mine, so I don't really grudge them the headspace.

One is Doctor Wu by Steely Dan. It's an excellent song all round -- melody, lyrics, arrangement, the quality of musicianship employed -- but the 'viral' bit, for me, is the saxophone solo in the middle.

The other is The Wedding List by Kate Bush. Once again, it's a fine song from one of my favourite artists (Wuthering Heights and Breathing still raise the hairs on my forearm every time I hear them, though I've heard them both hundreds of times). In this case, it's the melody that does it -- angular, seemingly discontinuous and unforgettable.

Anybody else out there like me, in thrall to a particular song or song fragment?

If so, let us hear about it.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I am very prone to getting Paris Hilton stuck in my head. But, the problem is, when I get a song stuck in my head, I have to listen to it for hours. A problem with that is the fact that I even have to get the music, I would probably get mocked to no end for even thinking about the music, so when I get it stuck in my head, it is murder.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Can't Get It Out Of My Head - Electric Light Orchestra :shk::shk::shk:

Recently... I've been humming, Ah Leah - Donnie Iris -- great 80's tune.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
867-5309 by Tommy Tutone. "Jenny Jenny, who can I turn to?" EIGHT SIX SEVEN FIVE THREE OH NI-EI-UN! Song goes through my head at least once a day.

I also frequently get Billy Thorpe's "Children of the Sun". The intro more than the lyrics.

Go figure.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Most of Dark Side of the Moon. Listening to it far too often doesn't help.

I always have random songs in my head, and when I haven't, I'm listening to music.

new topics

top topics

join