It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Preparation for 2nd Test in North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
US spy satellites have detected activities near the October 9 test site, a US intelligence official has told AFP on condition of anonymity. Supporting the intelligence is the conclusion that the first test is estimated to have been below 1 kiloton, less than a tenth of the size of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945, most likely an indication it didn't go off in the way planned. To make the threat credible Kim Jong-Il now has to fire another one from his sparse arsenal.

www.spacewar.com
Unusual activities were detected in a rugged area in North Korea on Monday, causing South Korean authorities to suspect that the communist state might be preparing a second nuclear test, a news report said. Kim Seung-Gyu, head of South Korea's spy agency, told parliament that activity involving vehicles and some 30 to 40 people was under way at Punggyeri in the northeastern county of Kilju, Yonhap news agency reported.
"From three p.m. (06:00 GMT) today, there have been some unusual movements under way at Punggyeri where we had thought the first nuclear test would be carried out," Kim was quoted as saying.

"We have been closely following developments there to find out whether North Korea is moving to conduct a series of tests as India and Pakistan did," he said.

An unidentified lawmaker who serves on parliament's intelligence committee quoted Kim as telling the committee that there is a "sufficient possibility" of the North carrying out further nuclear tests.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This report breaks as US Secretary of State, Ms Rice leaves for Japan, South Korea, China and Russia, for talks to ensure the now UN imposed sanctions to be fully implemented. Among those sanctions are bans on selling luxery goods, which are aimed on hitting Kim personally, as he is known to be a connoisseur of fine wines and brandies. It's sure likely to make him angry enough to blow another bomb.

That how you deal with addicts, deprive them their stuff. Hope that Condoliza will persuade the Chineese not to let any of their own inferior booze brands slip through. Soon he'll be eating from hand, just to get a sip.

Related News Links:
www.theaustralian.news.com.au
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
UN Vote Backs N Korea Sanctions
North Korea's Nuke Test-Evidence Of Radiation
North Korea says nuclear test successful
N. Korea sees U.S. pressure as 'act of war'

[edit on 2006-10-17 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I guess it wouldn't surprise anybody that they would conduct more tests. With the first one not being very powerful, relatively speaking, they obviously will try to improve it. On the bright side, if they do set off another bomb, that is one less in their arsenal.

So what will be the reaction if they do?

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The Response will probably be more of the same. The prez seems to be totally out of touch with the fact that Russia and China will not allow the UN to punish NK in any real way.

Watched his interview with Oreilly and he was just like 'no, I know for sure China doesn't want them to have a bomb'. I'm sorry, but that just emboldens China and NK to keep stalling and testing. All we have to do is look at what China actually DOES at the UN (nothing). Not what they SAY!

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Evidence now seems clear, Pongyang IS going to perform more tests. And what seems even more clear, China can or will do nothing.

aljazeera.net
A senior US official said on Thursday that China had sent a special envoy to China. "I'm pretty convinced that the Chinese will have a very strong message about future tests," he said.

China's foreign ministry declined to confirm that Chinese state councillor Tang Jiaxuan was currently visiting Pyongyang.

The US official, who asked not to be identified, was travelling with Condoleezza Rice, the US secretary of state, as she arrived in Seoul from Tokyo seeking South Korean help in pressuring its northern neighbours into ending its nuclear weapons programme.

However as Rice arrived in Seoul, one of the North's top diplomats said that it would be "natural" to follow up his country’s underground explosion on October 9 with a second nuclear test.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The question is when they'll perform the next one. Also questionable is Beijings efforts on the case. After the embargo starting this week, increasing traffic to North Korea has been reported across the "Friendship Bridge" linking it with China. My guess would be they are filling up the stores before Condoleezza Rice Friday arrives in Beijing for talks on the embargo.

It is no secret the Americans would like to see that bridge closed completely.

A good guess as to when the next one, would be during her stay in China.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Sorry to say, but don't underestimate 1KT bombs, they are still more then sufficient to kill, descease and blind craploads of people.

1 KT Nuclear Device
Summary of Impact of 1 KT Nuclear Blast

1 KT - Effective Range for Blast Energy
350m LD50 11m/sec - LD50 means 50% mortality (1148.29 feet = 0.2174792 mile)
550m ED50 4.3m/sec - ED50 would affect 50% population (1804.46 feet = 0.3417538 mile)
750m Penetrating Wounds 55m/sec (2460.63 feet = 0.4660284 mile)

1 KT- Blast Energy and Static Overpressure
150m LD50 50psi - LD50 means 50% mortality (492.126 feet = 0.0932057 mile)
300m ED50 20psi - ED50 would affect 50% population (984.252 feet = 0.1864114 mile)
700m Eardrum Rupture 5 psi (2296.59 feet = 0.4349602 mile)

1 KT -Safe Separation Distance for Eye Injuries
Weapon Yield - 1 KT
Detonation Altitude-300 Meters
Personnel Altitude - Sea Level
Daytime Visibility - 46 km (28.5830748 mile)
Retinal Burns - 16.7 km (10.3768989 mile)
Flash Blindness - 5.9 km (3.66609 miles)

1 KT - Effective Range for Thermal Energy Infrared
700m - 7 cal/cm2 (2296.59 feet = 0.4349602 mile)
800m - 4 cal/cm2 (2624.67 feet = 0.4970966 mile)
1200m - 2 cal/cm2 (3937.01 feet = 0.7456458 mile)

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Thematrix,
I would never underestimate any weapon. I've been scared since the day they blew the H-bomb at the Bikini-atoll. I've marched, I've argued, been arrested over the issue and I still worry. But somehow age soothes your worries.

I cannot march anymore, others must do the active fight, but I can write, incite others to remember to keep up the struggle.

"People are cracy and the world is strange / I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range / I used to care, but things have changed" (Bob Dylan).

top topics

join