It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It time for a change at the top.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
David Meadows an retired US naval officer has written an opinion piece that states that both the Republicans and Democratics should be voted out of office due to the fact that put there own interests ahead of people.

www.military.com
It is as true today as in 1787 when our founding fathers sat down and wrote the Constitution. They worried about the fragility of human nature to gain and abuse power. It is the primary reason they designed a government with three separate branches, with separate powers, and with separate purposes -- to keep watch over each other. It's an ineffective way to run a country, but it's an effective way to allow the people to clean house before government corrupts in such a way that the rights of Americans become the income of the elected.

We are at a juncture in our nation's history where we should step back, look at where we are, where we are going, and change those faces in Washington. It matters little whether each of us agree or disagree over the Iraqi conflict, the growing terrorist threat, or a congressman who plays email tiddlywinks with young boys. We each have our own ideas about growing health costs, Social Security, our porous borders, the fifth column of illegal immigrants, and/or the overarching worry the war on terrorism causes. Instead, what we see are a paralyzed bunch of elected officials unable to accomplish a damn thing unless it benefits their own party or own self interests

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looking from a far it seems like David is spot on. It is very important to bear in mind that the author has been able to put aside the partisan bicking that is dividing America. Make no mistake the divison that exits is greater then the political divide in New Zealand and many other western countries.

The majority of Americans are so caught up in partsian bicking that they fail to examin the system that has led them into the current state of affairs. The two party system is failing the people.

Has the US Constitution failed to protect the American people from there elected leaders ?
Have leaders failed to put in place the means of ensuring the government serves the people and not themselvs ?

The author is also making an indirect call for people to vote for thrid party/independent candidates. I can only say that those who are smart enough realize that this isnt an Repubilcan vs Democratics issue and that the deep divisons in American politics exist to prevent people from examining a failed system.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
This article is one man's opinion and not a very wise one at that.

Let's march down to the polls this November and send a strong message to those who wish to weld our power in governing our nation. Let's vote all of them out and start over. Sometimes, we voters must put aside incumbency to fight the abuses of power. No other nation has such a government where the power of one vote can transform it.

www.military.com...

The author recognizes that we Americans are the government, but fails to recognize that we are also the Republicans and Democrats.

We are the government -- not the Republicans or the Democrats.

I might not be thrilled with every incumbent running in this election, but I'll be damned if I'm going to vote for some of the crooks that are running against them.

The author recognizes that we Americans are the government, but fails to recognize that we are also the Republicans and Democrats.

We are the government -- not the Republicans or the Democrats.

I understand the man's frustration, but such a thing is not only unlikely to happen, it would more than likely make matter that much worse.

Besides, do New Zealanders really know that much about American politics to offer a cogent assessment of this man's opinion?

[edit on 2006/10/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Besides, do New Zealanders really know that much about American politics to offer a cogent assessment of this man's opinion?

It varys from person to person but any NZders who take an interest in world politics have a reasonable amount of knowledge of American politics. You cant be the worlds last remaining superpower and not have to put up with world opinion.

But surely not all Americans fit into the Republicans and Democrats model ?
I understand that most people choose to fit into the Republicans and Democrats model. But what about Libertarians for an example they seem to be a group who feels alienated by both partys ?

Heres another example I can think of.
What about traditional Democrat voters who were alienated by the members of the party who supported the war in Iraq ?
If the Democrat party no longer represents those voters then who dose ?

[edit on 16-10-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Well, I'm a registered independent, so my vote can go to anyone just as any Americans can. I just can't vote in primaries.

My point is that do you know the difference between Heather Wilson and Patricia Madrid and why I would prefer one over the other.

Simply going to the polls and voting out every incumbent is not a very wise action. Not all incumbents are the problem and not every opponent to the incumbents have the necessary experience to do their jobs well.

As I said, I understand the opinion writers frustration, but his advice is very unsound.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
GradyPhilpott to be honest I dont know the differnce between those two people off hand.
I agree with you concerning the fact that automaticly voting for an incumbent or an opponent is unwise.
You disagree with the authors opinion thats fair enough.
GradyPhilpott what advice would you give to American voters ?
If you dont like the incumbent or the opponent on offer what do you do ?

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Be realistic. Don't take the negative campaigning too seriously. Research the candidates and their voting records and job performance and vote for the best candidate.

Shake ups are good for government. Kneejerk responses rarely are.

new topics

top topics

join