It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women Gets Ticket For Anti-Bush Bumper Sticker?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I wonder if this Nurse would get the same ticket, if she had a bumber-sticker saying:

Which is also kindof against law - but hey!, screw it if it's PATRIOTIC!

I wonder how many vehicles with stickers you see above were punished.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I wonder if this Nurse would get the same ticket, if she had a bumber-sticker saying:

Are the stickers offensive? Do they have any obvious use of profanity? I'm not saying she should get a ticket, but whenever someone get's a ticket for violating the law or whatever...they can fight the law, but why go after the cop?

Imo, it's sort of like going 56 in 55 mile zone. Yeah, most of the time you'll slide and get away with it, it's not hurting anyone. The cop really doesn't care most of the time. But whenever you do get pulled over and ticketed for speeding don't sue the cop for giving you a ticket.

[edit on 19/10/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think I can answer Souljah's question with one word.........none!

Which is exactly why it is an issue.

[edit on 19-10-2006 by grover]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
For some it is always going to be the "cops" fault....

Usually they sit behind their desks, relaxing making judgments on those actually out trying to make a difference.

It is also immediately apparent that this officer is representative of all police. I guess I missed the election where he was running as my representative.

Semper

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Are the stickers offensive? Do they have any obvious use of profanity? I'm not saying she should get a ticket, but whenever someone get's a ticket for violating the law or whatever...they can fight the law, but why go after the cop?

Her ticket was offensive and had profanity - but there was one little problem; the sticker was NOT PATRIOTIC! And non-patriotic sticker-users will probably get punished, just beacuse they can! There are probably several vehicles with stickers I posted driving around America - how many of them get a ticket for that?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The thing about freedom of speech is that it goes both ways...for ex. that bruhaha at Colombia U. recently over the head of the Minutemen trying to give a speech and some students protested loudly enough to prevent him (and some of the minutemen with him attacked the students including kicking the ones fallen), well the head of the minutemen threatened to sue under the 1st amendment...well yes he had the right to speak and they had the right to shout him down...what is called for is curtesy.

And Semper....often times it is the cop's fault...after all living in the south, as do you, I have seen plenty of selective enforcement.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This entire issue comes down to one thing. Define profanity?

I noticed that no one posted the actual text on the bumper sticker. Maybe the text violates the ATS rule on profanity? Georgia's law was against profanity.

Enough said?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
This entire issue comes down to one thing. Define profanity?

I noticed that no one posted the actual text on the bumper sticker. Maybe the text violates the ATS rule on profanity? Georgia's law was against profanity.

Enough said?

Georgia's law on profanity has been overuled 5 times already as being unconstitutional. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Georgia's law on profanity has been overuled 5 times already as being unconstitutional. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

I believe that the law was in effect at the time the ticket was written. The constitutionality of the law isn't the question here. The court system determines constitutionality, not the Police, but look at who is being sued.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If you read the thread I posted, you'll see that I agree with you and I believe it's a shame she is sueing. She has no right to sue the officer for doing his job...whether he was biased or not. Just because someone might not get a ticket for going over the speed limit, that doesn't give someone else the right to sue an officer because he gave one to you. Even if he passed up the car directly in front of you that was going the same speed.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
LOL

Come to Cape Cod where everyone here is wearing a Bush countdown clock, down to the second this clown will be in office!!!
Keychains
Buttons
Bumperstickers, etc!!!

They are available on the Internet and believe me, we have our share of rabid right winged Republicans here also, believe it or not!!!!!

I dont wear one because i dont want to offend those who dont know any better.

I do have a scarf that says it all.

My bumper sticker is for locals: FOR A SMALL TOWN, THERE SURE ARE A LOT OF A@#$% HERE!

Everyone agrees, its true.

[edit on 19-10-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I disagree. I believe the police ticketed her because of the bumpersticker and her political beliefs.
I'm just glad he didnt turn her into the FBI for investigation as a potential terrorist.

What is your basis on this? .. Honestly the cop has never EVER done this to another person before.. Why would he look at this car out of all cars with anti Bush stickers and give her a ticket. Was he in a nasty political mood that day or something... something inside him said that he was going to ticket a Democrat today?? .... there is no basis for such a claim. This is exactly like screaming racism when the intent of a person was never racist to begin with. He ticketed her for the obcenity which is apparent.. you don't need to drive around with the word sh** on your car, it is inopropriate and because it was on public ground the officer was obligated to ticket her. Honestly, I would have given her a warning, though she would have done nothing about it. The judge said it is a constitutional right to use what ever language you want on your car... freedom of speach. Perhaps I should drive around with the S word, F word, N word, hell, as many derogatory remarks as I can fit on my little chevy!! ... tell me this Dg... would you like it if your little child read that while walking down the street.... maybe see it from the school bus? .. While I do not like Bush my self.. what kind of respect does that tell kids we need to follow.. or lack there of? .. Politically blown out of proportion if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Rock,

For the same reason that i donate money to the police department here so i can get a decal that says "I support my local Police Department"

You'd be surprised. It actually helps get out of trouble.

Does anyone know if the person in question did anything "wrong" besides having the said bumpersticker???

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Storm...

NO I would not.

I also would not rush to judge the Policeman either.

Semper

Thanks Semper, I was curious and am not rushng to judgement on either side, I just found the story to be very bizzare. My dad was a deputy sherriff for many years and I could not imagine him ever doing such a thing. Thanks again.

Storm

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This sucks. And I second Howlrunner:

I hope said cop tickets everyone with a $*** HAPPENS! bumper sticker, then. And everyone wearing the t-shirt or cap...

He really wouldn't like the one floating around that says UNFCKNBLVBLE, would he...

As for nasty...there's something wierd about a country that lets you depict the deaths of dozens of people on film, but doesn't like a little blue-tinged language that couldn't light a cigarette, let alone strip paint...

Buck Fush. I'm tired of all the BushIT too.

It is NOT unpatriotic to criticize a president.

It is a RIGHT, protected under the American Constitution.

[edit on 19-10-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Her ticket was offensive and had profanity - but there was one little problem; the sticker was NOT PATRIOTIC! And non-patriotic sticker-users will probably get punished, just beacuse they can! There are probably several vehicles with stickers I posted driving around America - how many of them get a ticket for that?

If the state law prohibits that kind of language on a bumper sticker, that's the law!
It does'nt mean I don't agree with what the sticker said, but we have to obey the laws or be punished. And actually I think a cop ought to have bigger fish to fry than to go after bumper stickers, but that's just my opinion.

And who said just because it is profrain that it's not patriotic? Just cause it's against Bush does'nt make it unpatriotic! If they did'nt care about the country they would'nt even bother with bumper sticker.

As sporty was saying if you don't like the law, change it or complain to politicians. Don't blame the cops.

This is a little off topic but
it's kinda like the age 21 to drink law, I hear a lot of 18 years olds saying they can be sent off to Iraq to be killed but they can't legally drink. But oh well, we have to obey the law! Those under 21 year old soilders over there can come home, drink a beer somewhere and be arrested for underage drinking. That's kinda weird to me.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I think the little guy that pees on everything on all the truck windows is more offensive than the word sh** and no one seems to care or get tickets for that.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I suppose it is possible that the ticket really was just for the expletive, but the fact that it happened in Georgia, which is a pretty right-wing state, says something. I don't know, these things you really can't know for sure.

And...I didn't know it was actually illegal to put a sign with a curse word on your car.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It isn't the law was overturned 5 times BEFORE THIS HAPPENED. Sorry, it was overturned as illegal more then 10 years before.

SHe did nothing wrong but not worshipping this cops God.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
Let me see if I've got this straight; the cop does his job and enforces the law; citizen doesn't like it so even after the ticket is tossed she sues the cop for doing his job. I wonder would she sue that cop for responding to her house being broken into? Or does she only sue when it's an easy way for her to get money. Ruining a cops career over him doing his job; what's next

I'm very pro law enforcement, working within the public safety field, however I read the entire article that was linked. The CNN article text says:

A DeKalb judge threw out the ticket in April because the state's lewd decal law that formed the basis for the ticket was ruled unconstitutional in 1990.

I have some problems with the fact above. The state law (vehicle code, penal code or whatever) that this lady was charged with was overturned 16 years ago ... what reference did the officer use to look up this charge? Obviously not one he used everyday. Every officer I know uses "cheat" books or QWIK codes that are at least current within the last few years ... for reasons just like this.

How in the world did he charge her with a state law that had been overturned 16 years previous. This tells me a few things ... he didn't know what he was going to charge her with to begin with (or else he would've known this law was overturned) ... therefore he had to look it up, he obviously used a horribly outdated reference for his state criminal codes in order to determine the infraction/crime. So I'm wondering why he did all the digging to find this charge to levy against her? Why not just cut her a ticket for whatever the reason for the stop was?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join