It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Universities to spy on Asians?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The British government is concerned that Universities around the country are becoming breeding grounds for Islamic extremists. It appears as though they have been urging Lecturers to spy on Asian looking people, in case they are up to no good.

www.theage.com.au
A BRITISH Government plan to use university staff to spy on "Asian-looking" and Muslim students has been compared with Soviet-style secret police collaborations.

The Government is concerned that campuses are joining mosques and schools as recruiting grounds for Islamic extremists.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now,this concerns me. I think universities should be a forum for free speech and discussion,not somewhere people are spied on and reported to the Government for their point of view.
I am worried that people will have a "potential terrorist" file, just for disagreeing with say, foreign policy.
Also disturbing was the article entitled
"Muslims are the new Jews."(see below link)
I am not Muslim, but i would not be very surprised if this scheme, once rolled out, could be applied to ANY student.

Is the scheme a good idea?
Or is it taking things too far?

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk

[edit on 16-10-2006 by Silcone Synapse]

[edit on 16-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Is it that unreasonable?? There are a hell of alot of fanatics and sympathisers in our country let's not even try and kid ourselves about that fact. The people of muslim faith from Pakistan mainly have never even attempted to integrate with our society yet our politicians and liberal newspapers bleat on about that this can still happen. How can it possibly happen whilst we our invading muslim countries and in their eyes keeping them down underneath the white christians. They are too pissed off to appease now so we have to watch our backs fully.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Every day the screws are tightening.this is a disturbing trend indeed.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
What screws exactly, the ones trying to stop terroist attacks on the indigineous people of this country? Grow up and stand up

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hey Peruvian monk,
I`m not sure there are that many fanatics here,i mean would we not have seen a more pronounced threat,or even more attacks by now?
Maybe you are right,and you have some inside info other than the tabloid tripe we are served with daily in our media.
Out of all the supposed plans,only a few have been proved in court.Many people have been released without charge,after the papers scream "terrorists!"
I admit,people have recently admitted to islamic terror charges.
If there was that much desire to commit terror on British soil,sureley they would have done so by now.
I mean without going into detail and risking security,there are many unguarded targets in the UK,which have also been discussed in the media.
Thanks for your input PM!

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Whats disturbing is that people need to be urged to report honestly supicious activity.

The islamist radicals are known to be using universities to recruit new bombers and jihadis. Asking teachers, who have constant contact with students, to pay attention, and perhaps giving them a line to call to report something that is truely distrubing, is hardly a bad thing.

peruvianmonk
the ones trying to stop terroist attacks on the indigineous people of this country?

Thy're trying to stop terror attacks on everyone in the country, not just so called 'native' britishers. Also, its rather foolish for them to focus on people based on the physical characteristics of "asians" (which, from what i understand in the UK, means pakistanis and the like, whereas in the US it means Orientals). Rather, they should be paying attention to anyone that is acting suspicious.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
For some reason i cant use the quote button on you posts peruvian,don`t know why.
Anyway,maybe Rivendell was disturbed in the same way as i was.That is,if the Government wants to spy on Asian looking people,where is the definition?
Can you please define what you meant by an "indiginous" Brit?
Is that someone who was born here?Or a caucasian?
What exactly is it that defines a Brit for you? Attitude/skin colour/birth place?
Although i may not agree with some of what you are saying,I thank you for your point of view.
I do agree with you in one respect i think.Britain is a small country and cannot take the current amount of immigrants on a long term basis.
Last point
on`t we have some Pakistani/British guys on our national cricket team?
Thats pretty well integrated,no?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Oh well quote buttons not working for me tonight...

Hey Nygdan,quote:"Rather, they should be paying attention to anyone that is acting suspicious. "

I totally agree with you.This goes without saying and any university lecturer would report odd behavior,criminal activity etc.
Im just worried people may just get arrested for dis ing the government at Uni,and get a black mark on their file for life...We all know what its like at Uni,a few beers and who knows?People do funny things.
I don`t like the idea of tutors taking notes on students views for government purposes.
Something about that scares me.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Last point
on`t we have some Pakistani/British guys on our national cricket team?
Thats pretty well integrated,no?

Fair point, but they are sadly in the tiny minority.

Ever been to Leicester, or Blackburn, or Bradford, or Coventry, or Southall, or Birmingham or 100 other locations in England? I don't see much integration in these places, nor efforts to integrate by the Muslim community.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Englishman_in_Spain[i/]

Ever been to Leicester, or Blackburn, or Bradford, or Coventry, or Southall, or Birmingham or 100 other locations in England? I don't see much integration in these places, nor efforts to integrate by the Muslim community.

Bradford and Birmingham,yes i have been there lately.I totally take your point.These places have a problem with immigrants.
But once again i think it has very little to do with the nationality of the migrants,and a lot to do with the AMOUNT.
Like i said before,The UK is a small country.We can`t take everyone who wants to come here.
The fact is,it is the fault of our government that so many illegals have got in to the UK.

new topics

top topics

join