It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a myth??

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

"minor" superstitions, such as not stepping on cracks... I think perhaps you have to put that into a mental disorder though, not just a superstition.

Yes. Behaviou like this can be seen in some cases of Obsessive Compulsive Dissorder

Behaviors based on superstitious beliefs, such as fixed bedtime rituals to "ward off" evil or the need to avoid stepping on cracks in the pavement.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
But do you equate all behavior like that as some sort of disorder, or could their possibly be something to that?

What about the possibility of the mind actually influencing the world around us?

Take for example a man who is sure that stepping on a crack will kill him. He avoids them all his life but one day accidently steps on one crossing the street. He is then hit by a car and killed (or something). Is this a random event, or could it be that his confidence something would happen actually "caused" the car to hit him when he stepped on a crack?

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

What about the possibility of the mind actually influencing the world around us?

I believe strongly that our minds influence the world. I think that we create our world to a certain extent with our thoughts.

And what we expect is usually what we get is'nt it? Not always but most of the time.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Thats true. What about the example I gave, do you think we can influence our world to "that" much of an extent??

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If the belief that "stepping on a crack will cause harm" is instilled deeply enough into the man's psyche, he could subconsciously put himself into a situation where he is "accidentally" hit by a car if he steps on a crack.

Yes, I think that's true.

[edit on 18-10-2006 by elaine]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
As an atheist I find all of these stories quite interesting, naturally I think they're all BS so I will try any superstitious thing I know of just so I can prove it's not real. I have tried the Bloody Mary thing in about 10 different ways and I never saw, felt, or expedited anything supernatural. Only one version actually makes you "see something", and even then it's just a normal reaction of the eyes to the environment.

The only thing which I have not tried is the Ouiji board, that is because I can't take the chance of something happening in my house, other people live here too. However I will try it sometimes, just to see what happens, I don't think that anything will but we all know that only two things are certain, death and taxes.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
How true that is. Well the worry that something might happen to others that live in your house at least shows some sign that you believe something "could" happen. Otherwise it wouldn't be an issue.

I wonder what it is about Ouji boards that has such an effect on every single person? It seems like there is no middle ground on the subject. Either people have used them and believe they work, or people are too scared or worried to try. I wonder what causes that?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I was discussing some of these old "myths" and "legends" with my grandmother the other night. She commented on "bloody mary" saying she had also heard the stories of children being "taken" or harmed doing the chant. She also told me another legend she had always heard. Tell me what you think of this...

As the legend is told, A young woman on her way to town to do some
shopping, decided to make a detour for the night and stay with friends she had not seen
in a while. The friends she knew lived in an old, beautiful mansion. The bedroom she was
to sleep in that night looked out over the carriage sweep at the front door. The moon
was full that night, and the light shown brightly into her bedroom. Because of this, she
found it difficult to sleep that night. As the clock outside her bedroom door struck 12,
she heard the noise of horses' hooves, and the sound of wheels on the gravel outside.

Wondering who could possibly be arriving at the mansion at this time of
night, she jumped out of bed and went over to the window. What she saw astounded her.
She saw a horse drawn hearse drive up to the front door. But, instead of a coffin inside
the hearse, it was filled with a crowd of people. The coachman sat high up on the
hearse. As he came closer to the window, he stopped the horses and turned his head. His
face utterly terrified the young woman. He looked up at her and he said in a distinct
voice, "There's room for one more."

Terrified at what she was seeing, she drew the curtains and ran back to
bed. She covered her head with the bedsheets and cowered under them for the rest of the
night. In the morning the young woman got out of bed and went over to the window. She
was not quite sure whether it had been a nightmare, or if it had actually took place.
All that mattered to her was to go to town, and leave the old mansion far behind her.

The young lady finally made it into town that day. She was shopping in one
of the towns big department stores and went to use the elevator to get to a lower floor.
The elevator was state of the art for that time. When the doors opened, she could see
that the elevator was quite crowded. As she got closer to the door, the elevator
operator turned his head and said, "There's room for one more."

It was the face of the coachman of the hearse. Horrified as to what she
just saw, the young lady said "No, thank you,I'll walk down." As She turned away, the
elevator doors clanged shut. Suddenly she heard a snapping sound and screaming. About a
second later the young lady heard a loud crash on the bottom floor. The elevator's main
cable snapped, and it fell 5 floors to the basement. Every person in the elevator was
killed in the fall.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Something else as well...

I just found out there is a movie based on the Bloody Mary legend coming out soon. I'm not sure when exactly though. Here is the link for the trailer, it actually looks pretty cool.

Bloody Mary Trailer

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
my computers gay and wont let me view it, any good?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think it looks cool. Looks kinda cheaply done, but that doesn't make a movie anyway.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
good, it better not be a high rating or im gunna miss it until it comes out on DVD

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'm pretty positive it's only going to DVD. I don't think this a big name movie. Heres the address to the production company thats making the film. They have a poster and synopsis for the movie there, although it looks as though the synopsis isn't matched up with the movie, it's describing something else. But it gives you an idea of the kind of movies they do anyway.

www.spotlight-pictures.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
cheers dude !
did you do the ouiji thing or was that today or what? its only 4:58 over in england but this is set to american time? i dont know, thanks again

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
OMG i just downloaded activex IT LOOKS BRILLIANT
COOL i cant wait to see it
when was gear banned and why?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hemlock
cheers dude !
did you do the ouiji thing or was that today or what? its only 4:58 over in england but this is set to american time? i dont know, thanks again

No, I suppose I will do that this evening. I had to track down a board (I didn't want to waste my money buying one for this). I have one at home waiting for me now, so tonight we will see what (if anything) happens.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

when was gear banned and why?

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
if you look at gears user avatar thing it sais banned member

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   

if you look at gears user avatar thing it sais banned member

Oh. That's just a custom tag. If you look it also says "member" underneath that. It can be confusing. But all is well.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Why wait for dark to use the ouji board? Do it now! Summon the dead!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join