It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a myth??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
That's my point. If these things were real, would'nt you think they would work for anyone, not just people who "believe" that it is going to work.

If you believe in something enough you can make anything happen. If I truly believe it, I can make my ink pen write messages from demons to me. That doesn't mean it's actually happening. It's just a case of my mind creating what I'm looking for.

My point is, if Ouji boards actually worked, shouldn't someone who doesn't believe in them at all be able to get a result?

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
My point is, if Ouji boards actually worked, shouldn't someone who doesn't believe in them at all be able to get a result?

i sopose so, you try to be skeptic and optamistic (optimism in this case being that it wont work) and it still does work then what?and theres people who have done it, it works and they say "oh, you moved it" we could do without those people not saying that if you dont believe its wrong, im saying that dont try and get rid of our belifes

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm not trying to get rid of anyones beliefs. If you believe that Ouji boards truly work, thats fine. I just find it strange that when people who don't go into it thinking something will happen use one, nothing happens. On the same token, everyone who goes into it expecting something to happen, usually do have something happen. The case for it being simply subconcious just seems to be too great. But hey, who am I to make that call, I've never used one at all.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
oh sorry dude, i didnt mean you, i meant in general

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well, you use the ouja as a tool you see. Like the pen you're talking about. Only you clear your mind, meditate and subdue your subconscious so that it does'nt "interfere" and give you a "false result".

Without this I believe ouja boards, mirrors, crystal balls are all just objects.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well I'm going to try one tonight. I will try to go into it with a completely open mind, and not expect anything to happen, or not to happen. I will try to clear my mind and keep my subconcious from interfering. We will see what happens then. I'll do this tonight and report back tommorow what happens. This will be the only way to settle this for myself.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglosaxon

Originally posted by elaine
My grandmother had so many superstitions it was unreal!
Being of Irish descent and also from the north georgia mountains, I guess these superstions were passed down generation to generation.

She always told me that you should never sweep dirt out of the door of your house after sunset or else you could "sweep" someone out of the family.
To this day I cannot sweep dirt out of my backdoor after sunset...I always get the dustpan.

Other superstitions she had were to never wash clothes on New Years Day or Christmas Day, else you could "wash" someone out of the family.

Are these the kind of myths that we're talking about here?

Hand on heart I never submitted this post let alone titled
the headline More Women!!!! ....Spooky!

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Hmm...What are you suggesting then? Perhaps "Bloody Mary" herself, or the Ouji board?

I'm only joking by the way.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm skeptical about Ouija boards. A few of my friends and I tried using one when we were youger, but it didn't really work. The piece didn't move on it's own, so we just gave up on it.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yeah. A lot of people claim that after they start using it, they can let go and the piece will move all on it's own. Sometimes they even claim that other objects in the room will move on their own. Personally I find the whole thing a little hard to swallow.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
So people apporach the Ouji boards as if they are part of a religion, or are they part of some religions? I know very little about them. As far as I knew, they were just board games, intended for little girls at slumber parties. I'm still not too sure they are anything more than that, even after hearing some of the stories from people here.

They've existed in Afghan culture for many hundreds of years, but not as a religious item, more cultural. Contrary to popular belief, they don't attract spirits, they are merely a means of a helping a spirit that's already there communicate easier. Since most spirits require energy (some usually feed off energy from heat in the air or the person's strong emotions like fear or love) to perform actions, it's hard for them to litterally pick up a pencil and start writing to you, since it requires so much energy. With the board, all people who place their hand on the Ouiji eye contribute energy by channeling it to the spirit through their hands, to help the spirit give a message.

Though, I don't believe that it was a "ghost" my friends contacted, when they made the bell ring. Rather, my personal belief is that it was a jinn (hidden spirit). Some people have reported that after using the board, the spirit they contacted becomes violent and they usually have to have their house "blessed" to take it away.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Hmm. Why do you think these contacted spirits become violent? Do you think that perhaps they did not want to be chanelled or contacted, and that is why? What are you thoughts?

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I can only answer from my own personal opinion. I believe some become violent, because they are often ignored after the Ouiji is no longer in use, or they will have no other means of an actual communication with the human world again (since some people think using the Ouiji is a game and never use it again).

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Once I tried the candyman version of this, it had no effect.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is the wayi heard it needs to be performed:
- go in to the restroom (kill all the lights, close the door)
- face the mirror
*- close your eyes, relax (take ur time be4 continuing)
- say BLOODY MARY 10 times
- open your eyes

* this is the step that makes it not work for all.

I assume most people that try this DO NOT have the right MIND SET.
Probably going in with thinking ahhhh this BS aint gon work... lets do this quickly and get it over with.

If you WANT to see it you REALLY HAVE TO want and picture yourself seeing it before and once you open your eyes. Its all mental.

[edit on 17-10-2006 by theTRUTHtheWAY]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wondernut
if you really want to disillusion yourself from all the bullcrap out there then watch
"PENN AND TELLER'S BULL#" on showtime, also available on youtube and google video

mod edit: censor circumvention.

[edit on 17-10-2006 by sanctum]

sanctum, nice job on filtering the name of the show

gotta protect us from that first ammendment

by the way, the ats servers are located in texas, meaning that ats is bound to the laws of the USA
last i checked, freedom of speech covered names of tv shows (as well as swear words)

Mod Note: Unnecessary info removed.[/url]

[edit on 17-10-2006 by TheBandit795]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There is none, and never was one here. You forgot that you are on a private forum. And the Upper Staff made the T&C's. Violation of that will lead to mod action. And mod action happened.

Can you mention the title of that show in a U.S. newspaper? Or in a family magazine? Of course not. They have their sets of ruels and we have ours as well. It's best to just respect that and move on.

Go into your neighbours house, say whatever you want and say that your protected by freedom of speech.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wondernut
by the way, the ats servers are located in texas, meaning that ats is bound to the laws of the USA
last i checked, freedom of speech covered names of tv shows (as well as swear words)

And last time I checked, THIS is a PRIVATELY OWNED WEBSITE. So if the owners of this site choose to not have you swear...THAT IS THEIR RIGHT.

I am very tired of people that come here (as in someone's home) and think they can do whatever they want, claiming that they have freedom of speech.

Well, I say go test that freedom you claim to have. Go to the middle of ANY store you can find and start shouting curse words. Take my litmus test and find out just how well the "freedom of speech argument" holds up.

To clarifiy, one of the staff members took action according to the rules. Clear?

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by theTRUTHtheWAY
If you WANT to see it you REALLY HAVE TO want and picture yourself seeing it before and once you open your eyes. Its all mental.
[edit on 17-10-2006 by theTRUTHtheWAY]

That's my point. There is really nothing happening, it's just a figment of your imagination then. As I've said before, you can make yourself see anything you want. You just have to believe you are going to see it going in.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I was also thinking a little earlier about some other "minor" superstitions, such as not stepping on cracks and the like. Now I've known a person to do this, not just casually do it like somtimes children will, but he was actually terrified that something bad would happen if he did. I think perhaps you have to put that into a mental disorder though, not just a superstition.

Anyone else know anyone like that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join