It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a myth??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Originally posted by anglosaxon
....and there's no prizes or ATS points for guessing the results....

What is that supposed to mean?

It does NOT work and I do not believe anyone can claim it does.
This is urban myth/folklore/nonsense possibly aimed at alcopop teens on a ' I dare you' wind up.

Have a go nyk537 then report the result on this forum or are YOU to scared to face a mirror ?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

....and there's no prizes or ATS points for guessing the results.... Yet another contemporary myth.

Ok, I will try it. Maybe tonight and report back faithfully any results I get. Will any of you believe me if I REALLY do see anything though?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
No I'll try it. The only problem is there are about 20 different variations of this I have come across so far. I can't try all them (or should I say won't). There are still people who claim to have things happen when they do this though. I suppose they all just make the stories up?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
I've tried the 'Bloody Mary' thing a long time ago and it didn't work, and I just tried it again, and it didn't work. You're supposed to say Mary's full name in the dark 3 times. Her realname is Mary Worth.

Worth?? I could have sworn that it was Mary Antoinette's cousin, Mary Tudor. Guess this must be a different Bloody Mary. My friends have tried things similar to this and the only thing that happened was one of them had nightmares for a week or so. I've never heard of anybody getting cut nearly to the bone or anything like that.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Maybe something did happen to them, but it was just a coincidence. Maybe they noticed a draft after saying it, or a bug bit them, or their friend tapped them on the shoulder in the dark. All of these would be proof enough for them to think that the myth is real.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
True. It's possible anything could be mistaken for something strange happening. It's a case of your mind making something appear if you want it to bad enough. It just seems as though there are plenty of other strange things that people believe in, so why couldn't this be real. Just because it doesn't work for everyone every time it's done doesn't mean there is no merit to it. Who knows though. I still think it is interesting to hear about peoples experiences with these things. Does anyone know of any other things similar to this?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yep, tried that many years ago, and the Candyman, Candyman, Candyman thing as well. Nothing paranormal happened.......but as the setting was a adolescent sleepover, there was the obligatory accomplice hiding in the shower to jump out and scream at the last, "Bloody Mary"!! This was followed by more screaming and a wholesale stampede of those not in on the prank. Sigh....fun times.....

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
My grandmother had so many superstitions it was unreal!
Being of Irish descent and also from the north georgia mountains, I guess these superstions were passed down generation to generation.

She always told me that you should never sweep dirt out of the door of your house after sunset or else you could "sweep" someone out of the family.
To this day I cannot sweep dirt out of my backdoor after sunset...I always get the dustpan.

Other superstitions she had were to never wash clothes on New Years Day or Christmas Day, else you could "wash" someone out of the family.

Are these the kind of myths that we're talking about here?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Living in Georgia, I hear these as well. One that I heard as a child was to never point at a grave yard, or else your finger will start rotting. The only way to overcome the "curse" is to stick your finger into the soil for a few seconds.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I still think it is interesting to hear about peoples experiences with these things. Does anyone know of any other things similar to this?

We used to do this thing where one of us would lie on the floor and the rest of us would circle around the friend lying on the floor. Then we would recite something along the lines "light as a feather, stiff as a board" and each of us with 2 fingers under the person (child really) would lift the person seemingly effortlessly off of the floor. It used to freak us out, but I now am pretty certain that it was just simple physics, the distribution of weight and that sort of thing. It was fun when we were small though. And it always had to be done in a dark place.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Interesting. I've also heard about "light as a feather," but never witnessed to it actually occuring. Did you and your friends also try it without reciting those words too?

I guess the most recent "myth" I've experienced was the Ouiji board. Though, it has existed in another form through ancient Afghan culture, it is still the same basic techniques used, when my friends used it. What's surprising is it actually worked. For a few minutes, they actually made contact, by recieving "signs" through out the room. One thing they would ask is for the spirit to ring a bell they had on the other side of the room, and on command, it would ring. Strange stuff, indeed.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I remember hearing about this when I was a kid but I thought that you had to do it at midnight.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Interesting. I've also heard about "light as a feather," but never witnessed to it actually occuring. Did you and your friends also try it without reciting those words too?

I dont think we ever did it without reciting the words, but it really used to give me a thrill. We really felt we were tapping into somethingt paranormal. I never tried the bloody Mary thing, although I dimly recall having heard it. I have meditated in front of mirrors though in very dim light, and have seen things. Colors and shapes mostly, but I have always put it down to my rods and cones reacting to the enviornment, rather than anything paranormal. But who am I to say?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Like I said, I've heard dozens of different scenarios for this. It seems like everyone has heard a different way to do this. That's why these things are so tricky, who knows if you are doing it right?

I've heard of the light as a feather thing before as well. I would also think it would just be the distribution of weight. Who knows though, perhaps there could be something to that.

The Ouji boards are interesting too. I hear a ton of stories about these things. What is your opinion on those?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
when we were kids we used to stare into a mirror real close and look back and forth at one eye then the next. if you keep doing it faster and faster at some point it feels like you are actually looking at yoursel in the mirror. normally when you look at yourself in the mirror you only see one eye or the other. it's a bit freaky but nothing much more than that.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

The Ouji boards are interesting too. I hear a ton of stories about these things. What is your opinion on those?

To be honest I am not really a superstitious person. But to be really honest, I am a little bit. On the one hand, you won't hear me saying that Ouji boards are interdimensional keys to the dark dimensions of the after- life. On the other hand, you won't catch me messing around with one either, just in case. I have heard too many people say that there really is negative energy associated with the Ouji boards to want to take a chance.

I mean after all, it's just a board with some letters and numbers and stuff on it. But I do believe in the after-life, and having that belief, I really can't say who goes where and does what when their time comes.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
My thoughts exactly. I don't know enough about them honestly. In my opinion I think they are harmless, like you said, just boards. Then again, there is always that voice in the back of my mind saying, don't do it. For that reason I have never messed with one before, and I may never use one, no matter how much I believe nothing would happen.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
My grandmother had so many superstitions it was unreal!
Being of Irish descent and also from the north georgia mountains, I guess these superstions were passed down generation to generation.

She always told me that you should never sweep dirt out of the door of your house after sunset or else you could "sweep" someone out of the family.
To this day I cannot sweep dirt out of my backdoor after sunset...I always get the dustpan.

Other superstitions she had were to never wash clothes on New Years Day or Christmas Day, else you could "wash" someone out of the family.

Are these the kind of myths that we're talking about here?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
What is the point of reposting someone elses comment without making a comment of your own??

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I used to hear these stories when I was a child. Supposedly if you looked into a mirror in a dark room and repeated "Bloody Mary" into the mirror, you would see a demon or something. I am not sure of the exact story but I do remember that much. Heres a link...

www.snopes.com...

[edit on 16-10-2006 by nyk537]

This is like putting yourself into an Psychomanteum, it's a small dark room draped in black with a mirror and candle, used for communication with the dead. In a psychomanteum it should be a peaceful, relaxing experience.

although....... Warning : repeating demented words into a mirrored dark room or psychomanteum to communicate with the dead is hazardous, especially at this time of the year
. Depending on your state of consciousness, you could become demon-possessed.
:

[edit on 16-10-2006 by XPhiles]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join