It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to enjoy the 3D virtual reality experience?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Link

Is this the way we will all be 'enjoying' our television programmes and computer games in the future?

In this astonishing photo, a model is wearing a new gadget, from electronics manufacturer Toshiba, that enables the wearer to experience a full 360-degree view on a 40 centimetre dome-shaped screen.

But, looking more like the helmet from Neil Armstrong's space suit than the next must-have gizmo, this three kilo full-faced helmet might make it a little tricky to relax with a drink in front of the football...

I was hoping for something ummm... more compact. Maybe they will make it lighter or more compact, this is just the first generation of 360 degree view.
Just try not to lean too far to the right, or it will really feel like the real thing when playing flight simulation or something.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
it looks like someone dropped a tv on her head....

Yeah I think they are going to have to trim it down a bit before it will have any marketability thats for sure.

Back in the early ninetees VR blasted out on the scene and dried up almost as quickly. Its good to see that some companies havnt totally abondoned the cause...but they definately have alot of work still ahead.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Looking at that photo, I'm having a startling vision of the next step in human evolution:

Necks...like TREE TRUNK necks...powerful powerful necks.

I mean, come on, give the girl a padded brace before she kinks her airway...

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I can't even imagine the possibilities of how this could go wrong.

I can see it now. "Man fries his brain while wearing gaming helmet after trying to take a drink."

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
30,000 out of 30,000 customers experiencing fatal neck injuries.

It looks like something that should be mounted on the roof of a mech. AS the head... not something youre supposed to put ON your head.

It really does look like a television set was dropped on her head.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Call me stupid but if the user in the picture can experience everything in 360 degree enviroment then why do they need the monitor ? Just an idle thought. Also I think my 5 yesr okd may find it a bit on the big side,

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
An alien!

Come on, they have to make somthing smaller. Thats a little on the huge side.

Would make a good Halloween costume though.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
****clears throat, gains your attention*****

From PopularMechanics.com

There’s no word yet from Toshiba on when the mammoth will be released or how much it will cost; in fact, Toshiba of North America hasn't even heard of the product

www.popularmechanics.com...

Boom

Misfit

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Yes it is good to see it hasn't been abandoned.

I thought the headset was being replaced by a device similar to glasses which beamed images directly onto the surface of the eye. This would assist with the peripheral vision aspect of a simulated environment.

Also I'm sure the military are still using those 'spheres' where you actully can walk, run while the habitat is displayed inside the sphere - giving the user a real sense of emmersion.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Health and saftey are going to love this one, forget RSI, we now have RNI

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This picture is great symbolism for them trying to change us into robots.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Honey you coming to bed..no, no leave it on
but seriously why would they put all the hardware inside the helmet when it would probably be set to the side, while keeping the front unit on the face.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
LOL she has a big head

imagine like everyone on earth wearing that at like a universal time, 5: 00 pm everyone wears their xhead and meditates for 30 minutes or something

it seems cool but still

wtf

new topics

top topics

join