It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI detected signals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
from FARK but interesting to see if it is true....

SETI has detected several signals emanating from the center of the Galaxy. Offical announcement on Tuesday at 10AM PST

www.spaceref.com...

Major SETI Institute Announcement

10:00 - 11:00 am PDT

Date: Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Location: SETI Institute, 515 N. Whisman Road, Mountain View, CA, US

Web Site Address: www.seti.org...

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
there's nothing i can find on seti's website or calendar about any announcement. it cant be that big if they can't even mention it on their own site. are people just supposed to turn up at their address or something to hear it?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
they went into the future for this one?

edit: oh I see, the announce.. *shuts up*

[edit on 16-10-2006 by Shroomery]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
AMERISH

I dont see anything on seti detecting several signals.

Maybe I missed something? It is early, and I havent had my caffeine yet.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PEADY
AMERISH

I dont see anything on seti detecting several signals.

I think Fark.com is the one implying that , and that Seti is set to make the announcement tomorrow. Its not on the site as of yet.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Never take FARK not too seriously.

forums.fark.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hmm,looks a very crowded place the centre of our galaxy.I found this page useful.

cassfos02.ucsd.edu...

Its a busy area of the galaxy alright.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I think Fark.com is the one implying that , and that Seti is set to make the announcement tomorrow. Its not on the site as of yet.

After two cups of coffie and a pepsi ..all seems to make sense

thanks pieman

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
SETI is NOT making an announcement tomorrow that it detected intelligence signals from Uranus -- or any other body part.

In fact, in the words of Dr. Seth Shostak, senior astronomer from the SETI Institute, when asked if that's what the announcement would be about, he responded, "I wish that were true."

They are announcing the "creation" of the Carl Sagan Center for the Study of Life in the Universe.

Basically, this is repackaging an existing division within SETI under Sagan's name for the study of astrobiology. The group also is about to undertake a massive private donations campaign to help fund the $5 million annual cost of the division.

I'll be doing a blog about it, so read it in a couple of hours.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

From Seti website: excerpt in forum: "Upon discovery and confirmation of signals produced by extraterrestrial intelligence, SETI@home will make an announcement in the form of an IAU (International Astronomical Union) telegram. This is a standard way of informing the astronomical community of important discoveries. The telegram contains all of the important information (frequencies, bandwidth, location in the sky, etc.) that would be necessary for other astronomical groups to confirm the observation. The person(s) who found the signal with their screen saver would be named as one of the co-discoverers along with the others on the SETI@home team. At this point we would still be unsure if the signal was generated by an intelligent civilization or maybe some new astronomical phenomenon."

This text is not there now... and maybe this fark forum user has the connections to know why?

aphexcoil My friend has a connection with one of the SETI scientists.Apparently, the announcement has been cancelled. A bunch of guys in suits (government officials flashing NSA badges) just took a bunch of stuff out of SETI's office for "evidence." They were also ordered to remove all information from their website and to cancel their announcement until further notice.

Weird ...

So i guess we again wonder...
Was there something to it?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Dude,

Read my post.

I interviewed the lead astronomer at SETI. He was very upfront with me as to the nature of the announcement.

No aliens; no gov't conspiracy of silence.

Just SETI trying to reach out for private donations.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Never mind.. the first excerpt is still there, but in the proper procedures area...
here is the exact process that will happen, if and when a signal is found...

from seti website

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Sorry

I saw a similar post there, and thought you were just quoting that forum post...

But one thing... they asked for the source of the claim at that sight as well, and it still hasn't been provided other than "personal knowledge", and you know the old deny ignorance thing...

So while I await your blog, I shall give you the benefit of the doubt from the respect i have for your other posts...

thanks for the info.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This whole thing is rather odd.

I wonder what the guy who was talking about NSA agents was talking about.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by behindthescenes
SETI is NOT making an announcement tomorrow that it detected intelligence signals from Uranus -- or any other body part.

In fact, in the words of Dr. Seth Shostak, senior astronomer from the SETI Institute, when asked if that's what the announcement would be about, he responded, "I wish that were true."

They are announcing the "creation" of the Carl Sagan Center for the Study of Life in the Universe.

I'll be doing a blog about it, so read it in a couple of hours.

Nice one behindthescenes,
Damn shame,but nice one for finding the truth.
I look forward to the blog post.

I still want to believe.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Nice one behindthescenes,
Damn shame,but nice one for finding the truth.
I look forward to the blog post.

I still want to believe.

I know, me too, Silacone. One day we will detect the faint radiowaves of the alien version of 'Lil Abner radio show.

Be that as it may, my blog should be up any second -- the article concerning the real SETI news.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Announcement?? It's just a boo-hoo plea for cash... see the other threads on SETI money woes - they're proliferating faster than the signals themselves...

Wish it weren't so...

top topics

join