It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is temple of Hera located?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Hey guys, I want to know where the Temple of Hera is located. I did a search on the internet and it comes up with something like 4 different temples of Hera. It's a Greek temple and should be in Greece, yet all I can find is that the temples are located in Italy.

Can someone clarify this whole thing for me? Was there an original temple of Hera in Greece? Thanks in advance!

[edit on 15-10-2006 by Impreza]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
The Greeks were great travelers and exported their religion, political systems, municipal organization etc. throughout the regions of the Mediterranean, so it is no wonder that you find temples to Hera throughout the region. I am surprised you found so few.
As to the original or main temple of Hera that will take more research. I would only be able to guess that it was with the other temples in the religious center. If the worship of Hera was a home based religion she may have had shrines in the home and only a few major temples in the cities she where she was patron goddess.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you find.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Sparkie makes an excellent point -- WHICH Temple of Hera are you interested in? There's quite a few of them, including one a Argive Heraeum that is apparently built on an older megalithic temple. It served two large populations (Argos and Mycenea)
www.1911encyclopedia.org...

Its graveyard and so forth indicate the earliest part of the structure dates to about 1200-1500 BC. It was probably rebuilt several times and may not have originally been dedicated to Hera (BTW, the page at this link is a very interesting and detailed one) :
www.ypai.gr...

It's one of the most famous archaeological sites of the late 1800's.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I was in Paestum (Posidonia) in Magna Graecia last year and visited the Hera Temple.

Magna Graecia (Latin for "Greater Greece," Megalê Hellas/Μεγάλη Ελλάς in Greek) is the name of the area in the Southern Italy that was colonised by Greek settlers in the 8th century BC, who brought with them the lasting imprint of their Hellenic civilization.

Paestum is the classical Roman name of a major Graeco-Roman city in the Campania region of Italy. It is located near the coast about 85 km SE of Naples in the province of Salerno and belongs to the comune of Capaccio.

The temple of Hera is the oldest surviving temple in Paestum, being built in around 550 BCE. 18th century archeologists named it "The Basilica" because they mistakenly believed it to be a Roman building. A basilica in Roman times was a civil building, not a religious one. Later, an altar was unearthed in front of the temple; it was situated externally so that the faithful, who were forbidden to enter the temple, could attend rites and sacrifices. Small terracotta offertory statues found around the altar establish the building as a temple dedicated to Hera.

Here is the picture of the Hera temple that I took:

Greetz, Pontifex

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
These types of temples would also have the altars outside because there was an exoteric and an esoteric following. THe masses would parade down to the temple during a festival, see some rites performed, make some offerings, enjoy a feast, and then go home. Meanwhile, the initiates would perform other ceremonies.

But yeah, what 'temple of hera' is impreza talking about? Why are you looking for a specific temple of hera? Maybe we can help.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I searched a bit more and found that the temples were built in Italy because the Greek culture expanded and the goddess of marriage, Hera, was being worshipped there. She is sister and wife to the Greek God, Zeus, so I guess that explains how she became such an nfluencial figure (other than the fact that she's a goddess).

top topics

join