It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inspirational Quotes / Food for the Soul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I would like to start a thread in which all contributors can share inspirational quotes that have offered them guidance in life. Guidance that did not mislead them, and acted as a catalyst for personal reflection.

This thread is dedicated to all those who strive to put words together that will assist others, and is also dedicated to those who have offered humanity words of wisdom.

The purpose of this thread is to share truth, and share light with those who may be in the dark. The purpose of this thread is to offer a shining light in the midst of shadows.

I thank you in advance for your contributions, and hope you find at least some truth in the quotes that have been shared with me. . .. .

One does not discover new continents without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
-- Andre Gide

A somebody was once a nobody who wanted to and did
-- Anonymous som

What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
-- Robert Schuller

source/link:
www.whatthebleep.com...

There is only one thing more powerful than all the armies of the world, that is an idea whose time has come.
- Victor Hugo

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
- Albert Einstein, in The New Convergence

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power.We have guided missiles and misguided men.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
- William Faulkner, in his Nobel Prize acceptance speech

The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.
- Stephen W. Hawking

When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it - always.
- Mahatma Gandhi

To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit.

- Stephen W. Hawking

The visible world is the invisible organization of energy.
- Physicist Heinz Pagels

There is no reality in the absence of observation.
- The Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics

No theory of reality compatible with quantum theory can require spatially separate events to be independent.
- J.S. Bell

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
- Niels Bohr

Curiouser and curiouser!
- Lewis Carroll

Man can learn nothing except by going from the known to the unknown.
- Claude Bernard

The warrior steps forth to accept the unknown and challenge disbelief, for if it lies in mind it Is, by God!
- Ramtha

If those who lead you say to you, "See, the Kingdom is in the sky," then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, "It is in the sea," then the fish will precede you. Rather, the Kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living Father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty.
- (All the sayings of Jesus gathered from ancient sources and compiled into a single volume for the first time. Compiled by Ricky Alan Mayotte) From The Complete Jesus. (Pg 71) Jesus

There are grounds for cautious optimism that we may now be near the end of the search for the ultimate laws of nature.
- Stephen W. Hawking

I believe there is no source of deception in the investigation of nature which can compare with a fixed belief that certain kinds of phenomena are impossible.
- William James

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
- Lewis Carroll

Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true.
- Niels Bohr

To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.
- Copernicus

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
- Albert Einstein

Whoever talks about Planck's constant and does not feel at least a little giddy obviously doesn't appreciate what he is talking about.
- Niels Bohr (quoted by Teller: see French & Kennedy 1985, p.182)

The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
- Niels Bohr

...the sense of being which in calm hours arises, we know not how, in the soul, is not diverse from things, from space, from light, from time, from man, but one with them and proceeds obviously from the same source.... Here is the fountain of action and of thought.... We lie in the lap of immense intelligence.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The power of Thought, the magic of the Mind!
- Lord Byron

How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress.
- Niels Bohr

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mystical. It is the source of all true art and science.
- Albert Einstein

Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen.
- Stephen W. Hawking

We have actually touched the Borderland where Matter and Force seem to merge into one another, the shadowy realm between the Known and Unknown ... I venture to think that the greatest scientific problems of the future will find their solution in this Borderland, and even beyond; here, it seems to me, lie Ultimate Realities, subtle, far-reaching, wonderful.

- Sir William Crookes, 1879

Do you remember how electrical currents and "unseen waves" were laughed at? The knowledge about man is still in its infancy.
- Albert Einstein

It gives me a deep comforting sense that ‘things seen are temporal and things unseen are eternal.’
- Helen Keller

The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.
- Oscar Wilde

You cannot see anything that you do not first contemplate as a reality.
- Ramtha

The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.
- William James

We feel and know that we are eternal.
- Edmund Spenser

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of being.
- Carl Jung

[edit on 15-10-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Time is not a line, but a series of now points.
- Taisen Deshimaru

if time is a series of now points, then we must be connected to time itself, somehow, right?

The birth of a man is the birth of his sorrow. The longer he lives, the more stupid he becomes, because his anxiety to avoid unavoidable death becomes more and more acute. What bitterness! He lives for what is always out of reach! His thirst for survival in the future makes him incapable of living in the present.
- Chang-Tzu

How could there be any question of acquiring or possessing, when the one thing needful for a man is to become-to be at last, and to die in the fullness of his being.
- Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Consciousness is a being, the nature of which is to be conscious of the nothingness of its being.
- Jean-Paul Sartre

BE A ZERO

The spirit down here in man and the spirit up there in the sun, in reality are only one spirit, and there is no other one.
- The Upanishads

The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
- Archibald MacLeish

I wish more people would think for themselves.

The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced.
- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the law of the universe will be simpler.
- H.D. Thoreau

Live your life as you imagined, and the law of the universe will be simpler. nice words.

Cease from practice based on intellectual understanding, pursuing words, and following after speech, and learn the backward step that turns your light inward to illuminate your self. Body and mind of themselves will drop away, and your original face will be manifest.
- Dogen

and people wonder why i chase down language, the source of our civilizations, and turn words backwards in mirrors... .. . . .

Although each of us obviously inhabits a separate physical body, the laboratory data from a hundred years of parapsychology research strongly indicate that there is no separation in consciousness.
- Russell Targ

so, don't be offended when someone offers to pray for you. From their perspective they are praying for everyone, not just one.

One of my personal favorites:

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
- Carl Gustav Jung

I can see, and that is why I can be happy, in what you call the dark, but which to me is golden. I can see a God-made world, not a manmade world.
- Helen Keller

She probably saw more with her additional senses that were inhanced, since her "normal" senses could not be trusted by her. Seems to me she had a great deal of wisdom to share for someone who was clinically declared BLIND, DEF, and MUTE . ... .

The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing knowledge.
- Albert Einstein

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on.
- Winston Churchill

People do often seem to avoid the truth. i wish more people would not walk over or around the truth, but pick it up and analyze it.

The truth dazzles gradually, or else the world would be blind.
- Emily Dickinson

True.

Everything you see has its roots in the unseen world. The forms may change, yet the essence remains the same. Every wonderful sight will vanish; every sweet word will fade, But do not be disheartened, The source they come from is eternal, growing, Branching out, giving new life and new joy. Why do you weep? The source is within you And this whole world is springing up from it.
- Jelauddin Rumi

A full-spectrum approach to human consciousness and behavior means that men and women have available to them a spectrum of knowing -a spectrum that includes, at the very least, the eye of flesh, the eye of mind, and the eye of spirit.
- Ken Wilber

All speech, action, and behavior are fluctuations of consciousness. All life emerges from, and is sustained in, consciousness. The whole universe is the expression of consciousness. The reality of the universe is one unbounded ocean of consciousness in motion.
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Consciousness is the basis of all life and the field of all possibilities. Its nature is to expand and unfold its full potential. The impulse to evolve is thus inherent in the very nature of life.
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Knowledge is structured in consciousness. The process of education takes place in the field of consciousness; the prerequisite to complete education is therefore the full development of consciousness -- enlightenment. Knowledge is not the basis of enlightenment, enlightenment is the basis of knowledge.
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

How conscious are you? How aware are you of your own mind, your own thoughts? Is your mind fractionalized, and broken into sections that do not share information readily? Perhaps you need to "defrag" your mind, "defrag" your original god given computer?

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become.
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
- Giordano Bruno

Do you think Truth is a democracy?

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
- Galileo Galilei

Perhaps in time the so-called Dark Ages will be thought of as including our
own.

- Georg C. Lichtenberg

That which the dream shows is the shadow of such wisdom as exists in man, even if during his waking state he may know nothing about it... We do not know it because we are fooling away our time with outward and perishing things, and are asleep in regard to that which is real within ourself.
- Philipus Aureolus Paracelsus

If you are searching, if you seek an answer, perhaps you have not looked inwards?

When a man undertakes to create something, he establishes a new heaven, as it were, and from it the work that he desires to create flows into him... For such is the immensity of man that he is greater than heaven and earth.
- Philipus Aureolus Paracelsus

The universe on a very basic level could be a vast web of particles which remain in contact with one another over distance, and in no time.
- R. Nadeau and M. Kafatos

The above quote is consistant with what the worlds' top scientists and theologians beleive.

[edit on 15-10-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
- Chief Seattle

The state of least excitation of consciousness is the field of all possibilities.
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

If I could take all your words away and give you but a sparse few, they would be: ‘I now know, I am absolute, I am complete, I am God, I am.’ If there were no other words but these, you would no longer be limited to this plane.
- Ramtha

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity...and I'm not sure about the universe.
- Albert Einstein

...perhaps there is a pattern set up in the heavens for one who desires to see it, and having seen it, to find one in himself.
- Plato

THIS CAN NOT BE SAID ENOUGH TIMES:

Know thyself.
- Socrates

Reality is not only stranger than we suppose but stranger than we can suppose.
- J. B. S. Haldane

Wake up:

Quit thy childhood, my friend, and wake up!
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.
- Albert Einstein

Suddenly, from behind the rim of the moon, in long, slow-motion moments of immense majesty, there emerges a sparkling blue and white jewel, a light, delicate, sky-blue sphere laced with slowly swirling veils of white, rising gradually like a small pearl in a thick sea of black mystery. It takes more than a moment to fully realize this is Earth…home. My view of our planet was a glimpse of divinity.
- Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 astronaut and founder, Institute of Noetic Sciences

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force… We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
- Max Planck, Nobel Prize-winning Father of Quantum Theory

Mind and intelligence are woven into the fabric of our universe in a way that altogether surpasses our understanding.
- Freeman Dyson

A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.
- James Joyce, Ulysses

Or a woman of genius, for that matter.

I have yet to meet a single person from our culture, no matter what his or her educational background, IQ, and specific training, who had powerful transpersonal experiences and continues to subscribe to the materialistic monism of Western science.
- Albert Einstein

A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend upon the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving.
- Albert Einstein

Another of my personal favorites:

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
- Albert Einstein

I like this one, a lot. Thanks to Dr. Martin Luthor King Jr.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness, in a descending spiral of destruction. The chain reaction of evil must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

In the century now dawning, spirituality, visionary consciousness, and the ability to build and mend human relationships will be more important for the fate and safety of this nation than our capacity to forcefully subdue an enemy. Creating the world we want is a much more subtle but more powerful mode of operation than destroying the one we don't want.
- Marianne Williamson

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
- Albert Einstein

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
- Galileo Galilei

This is great advice from Confucius. It says put yourself and your house in order, before attempting to exert your will upon creation. Why extend your will into our shared reality when you have yet to even identify your will, or put your own life in order? Well, i am paraphrasing, this is what his quote says to me.

To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
- Confucius

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
- Winston Churchill

I live up to this in a few of my posts:

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
- John Maynard Keynes

We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
- T. S. Eliot

Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion.
- Democritus of Abdera

True, but science and human observation is telling us that sub-atomic particles are not solid, not matter, nor physical. Sub-atomic particles are merely condensed light, condensed energy. No one has ever truly touched anything, just the electro-magnetic field that builds up when atoms come close to eachother.

All great truths begin as blasphemies.
- George Bernard Shaw

I hope some people who read this one, take it to heart:

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

And my personal favorite: (i like them all, but i really like this one just a smidgen more

What we are looking for is what is looking.
- St. Francis of Assisi

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
just a couple for now,

" becareful what you wish for. You might just get it."

" We are those WEIRDO'S"

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Why should we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything about it, he shouldn't!
George Bernard Shaw
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
Galileo Galilei

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

New Knowledge can prompt us to modify our beliefs. If we want to stick to our prior convictions, we should avoid new information like the plague and close our minds to everything but the opinions that square with our own.
This is the way of censors and book burners.
Robt. W. Funk

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." - Voltaire

The Law is the Living Word of the Living God. God did not write the Law in Books but in your HEART".
- Gospel of the Essenes
- Attributed to Jesus Christ

If Christ were here now there is one thing he would not be--a christian.
Author: Mark Twain

Science tells Me God must exist,
My mind tells me I will never understand God,
And My heart tells Me I am not meant to.
Vittoria Vetra Angles and Demons

"The word 'statesman' simply means a dead politician. And the world needs more statesmen!"
Mark Twain Samuel Clemens

As a dog shakes itself to get rid of fleas, the earth will generate earthquakes, volcanoes and climactic changes to rid itself of surplus and troublesome humans.
-Sun Bear, Chippewa Medicine Man

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
found a signature i liked from DCFusion:

The worst lies we tell are the ones whispered into the darkness when not a soul is around to listen but our own.

I really liked it, so i thought i would add it on.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   

"Be formless... shapeless like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, and it can crash. Be water, my friend..."

this really helped me deal with a lot of stuff in my life, especially since it helped me avoid a few physical confrontations in my mid-teens

"True observation begins when one is devoid of set patterns."

pretty self-explanatory

"Use no way as way; use no limitation as limitation."

this one was tricky for me to grasp when i first saw it

Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion.

this, however, is the quote that started it all. this is what finally started me on a path of questioning

all quotes are from the great
Bruce Lee

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Conformity is living a life in accordance to the expectations of other people.
-- Esoteric Teacher (unless someone else said it first)

or ....

Conformity is a lifestyle constrained by the expectations of other people.

[edit on 17-1-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]

top topics

join