It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can only ignore 10 posters but at least 20 are behaving badly

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
But what is publicly done in order to show that a redress regarding this behavior has been made?

With no public statement regarding how the accuser has wronged the accusee, things continue on with the same, old usual business.

Oh great, lets tar & feather the members that make mistakes. Nothing like a public beating to set them in their place.

Actually, I think things are working great the way they are and will continue to do so until the owners of this site decide it's time for a change. Discussing it changes nothing. Only they have the authority to change it so your argument should be with the Amigo's, not the membership.

Just my thoughts on it.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
It's not an argument, per se. All I wondered about is why we don't have more of a public system regarding mediation. I was just making a suggestion about some possibilities to not always engage the "Ignore" button.

This is not an attack on the Three Amigos, the mods, the supermods or the staff. I think of them too highly for that.

But, let me guess. Just like the "Survivalist" thread, a list of the usual suspects will make their presence known soon enough to burn me at the stake for what is said before I have any mode of redress of grievances. Fine. Let it begin. I'm used to it by now.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Tar & Feather?

You mind if I note that one and use it in the future?

--

I'm curious why some members feel that somethings should be done in front of the public eye? The staff has a job to do, and I feel they do a top notch job. They make decisions with our best interests in mind on a daily basis, we are to trust their judgement.

A few weeks ago, a popular member was banned. To make a point, it was made public knowledge and a thread was created. Within hours, a percentage of our membership had flocked to the thread to fight in defense for our member. Both sides had valid points, but the fact was that the staff had made their decision. Frankly, it was the right decision whether we agreed with it or not.

Making certain things public knowledge is going to create drama, and we can all agree we have enough of that on here on a daily basis.

If a member crosses you, use the Complain fuction and rest easy knowing that the Staff will take care of this on your behalf. If this does not satisfy you, maybe your in the wrong spot. This is a discussion board, however if members were looking to arrange some bare knuckle boxing, I would be willing to offer my support.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I think public floggings are not healthy for the community and would create more hard feelings. I would never discipline an employee in front of other people; it's very bad for morale and fosters divisiveness.

I've never ignored another member either, but I have been sorely tempted on occasion. I'm paranoid; they might be talking about me.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Let it be rest assured that other members do know about the "Complaint" button. However, what was suggested merely concentrated on staying a suggestion...that is until it was taken seriously as a slap against the board, the staff, the mods and the administration. I hope that it wasn't the case. If people construe my suggestion this way, I apologize profusely for making others feel so.

It all truth, the suggestion was never made to criticize anyone for not doing their jobs. I think all of you have performed admirably under some very hard circumstances. And yes, it is respected that when it comes to discipline and dispensing justice, it is quite a very hard job that deserves its privacy.

However, respect has to be just afforded to just giving one's opinion and leaving it at that. Nothing more. There is not an attempt to change things the way they are. There is only the inquiry into the matter.

However, the concern here is how to deal with the climate of insensitivity that is going about. Although, there are a lot of wonderful people here which make life brighter by their posts, equally there are others who are bent on making the experiences of some a living hell.

If some should want to stay here, they should not have to put up with the climate of insensitivity when it has to do with a group of members who bully and ridicule the remarks of the accusee on a continual basis without change. The question is from now on, what will be done to make this board more a welcoming one instead of being one of ritual hazing day in and day out?

We have a formidable staff who are quite gifted and talented in their endeavors. However, in all fairness, is it wrong to discuss how some things are afforded to one's point of view without it being blown out of proportion?

[edit on 16-10-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Intrepid,

I need you to start filling out Workorders.
We really need to track your time, and the other mod's time on here.

Are you talking about a paycheck?

I'm in.

You betcha.
Just one more thing to clear up on that form you submitted to Human Resources, so we can get the paperwork going:

Salted? or
Unsalted..

Only pick one..

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The Court Of Public Opinion

A long time ago, I proposed something very similar to an "ATS Counrt" in this infamous thread: On ATS, Ignorance Is Winning.

Needless to say, that was quite a drama fest.

The ownership of ATS politely rejected my suggestion, despite the fact that it came from a member who always knew better and had the benefit of staff experience on a gaming forum (believe it or not, some gaming forums are known to spawn a little drama now and then).

So naturally I was right and the admins were foolish for not seeing that.

Systemic Tolerances

Over time, as I became more familiar with the ATS community and how the staff handles things, I came to realize that maybe, just maybe, the Amigos actually know what they're doing.

That lesson was really driven home when I became a Councilor (there's a whole dramatic story behind that, too) and got a chance to peek behind the curtain and see just what it is that the staff does around here.

That doesn't mean that the Amigos or the rest of us staff members are infallible. Far from it.

We're human, we screw up all the time and -- thankfully -- the system allows for that and gives us a chance to correct our mistakes.

The Not-So-Hidden Agenda

Without seeing what actually goes on in Cosmic, the Complaints forum and countless U2Us, it is natural to assume the worst when staff action becomes visible (warns, bans, etc.).

After all, this is a conspiracy community, so it's inevitable that the owners and staff of ATS will fall under suspicion -- which is ironic when you consider that nobody is being forced to be a member here, but I'll save all that for one of the hundreds of other threads where ATS is accused of dark deeds.

In fact, and speaking as a long-time witness to how the ATS staff actually handles things, there's really no hidden agenda at all.

The agenda is to provide a place where people can discuss conspiracies and "alternative" topics honestly without fear of abuse or reprisal.

The AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use define this agenda, and they are the "Bible" for the staff when we deal with board- and member-related issues and problems.

There's nothing secret about that at all.

Personalized Service

Having dealt both publicly and privately with many members in my capacity as a moderator, I am very satisfied that the way we handle things now is about as good as it gets.

There is no rigid or automatic system of mandatory punishment or minimum sentences. We handle each case on an individual basis, and deal with each member on an individual basis.

While some members might accuse us of uneven enforcement or favoritism, there is simply no substitute for having real human beings deal with the problems we have to deal with.

Everyone is unique, and the way the ATS staff interacts with members respects that fact.

The Court Of Private Opinion

As for a court, there already is one, of sorts: Cosmic. Moderators routinely alert other mods to problems when they encounter them, and ask for advice about how to proceed if they have any doubts. We keep each other very well-informed.

As a Councilor, I was very big on public transparency regarding Council deliberations, but as a moderator, I have seen firsthand the importance of avoiding unnecessary drama when dealing with member problems.

Aside from respecting member privacy, it goes a long way to prevent minor issues from turning into major blowouts.

Quiet Words

If I send you a U2U asking you to cool it in some thread, no one else needs to know about it unless you want them to.

If I were to parade your posts around in a public forum and taunt you mercilessly for your anti-T&C ways, would that really be fair to you?

As it is, we do have "public floggings": red-flag warnings. And having BANNED MEMBER as a member title is analogous to a "public execution".

But most of our dealings and negotiations with members occur via U2U, without fanfare, and having seen how well that works, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Don't Ignore Trouble

If someone is violating the T&C, instead of hitting "ignore", please report the problem.

As noted above, we do NOT reply to all complaints. But we do read them all and we do take action where it is warranted. It may not be obvious because we tend to be discreet where we can.

Why? Because board drama is not why ATS is here.

It distracts from the real reason ATS exists, which is to...

Deny Ignorance

...or perhaps "Ignore-ance".

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, I actually complained about the ten-member limit on the ignore list myself, not too long after arriving here.

I really liked being able to ignore people I thought too crass or boorish to merit my attention.

Over time, however, as with my "people's court" suggestion, I came to realize that there is wisdom in limiting that feature as well.

The ignore list is not unlike "training wheels" for ATS. After a while, you shouldn't need it anymore.

At least, that's the way it worked out for me.

[edit on 10/16/2006 by Majic]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Yep! What he said (see above).

I was just about to say that.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I went back to the OP to find out what this thread was supposed to be about.

It's about the IGNORE button.
I'm not really sure how we got from Ignoring members to an "ATS court"

It might be a good idea to get back to discussing the pros and cons of ignoring members.
While I can see that the idea of court or mediation would appear to be ways to settle differences between members, that is not necessarily the reason one uses the ignore button.

And, frankly, both the need for more IGNORE buttons and the suggestion that a court is needed here belong on this thread:
ATS, BTS, What would you like to see in the future?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
And I was just about to say that too!

Since this thread is about the ignore button, but went off on some off topic ATS court mediation for like 2-3 pages, we'll now consider the matter closed.

THREAD CLOSED

[edit on 16-10-2006 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join