It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can only ignore 10 posters but at least 20 are behaving badly

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You have a right to think what you want just as I do. I still believe that there should be an ATS court and if the person who brought it up makes more of this issue, I'd like to know how such a proposition would be entertained.

An ATS court is a venue that involves the enforcement of the T and C guidelines by an impartial judge. It is also a site of debate in terms of getting situations for redress properly dealt with. And other members would see an example of the type of behavior that occurs on the board when it deals with negativity. Just like jury duty, twelve random members would be selected by those over the board to serve on a particular case. A case would be done in a finite amount of time in which a ruiling would be voted upon by the jurors. Then a supermod would yea or nay the ruling.

There would be chances for appeal in which the final say would fall into the hands of the Three Amigos.

Now, there are situations in which a court would be corrupt (i.e. a "star chamber"). But, if there was a committee (we could make this one, since there are so many others) to formulate this effort, then actions would be made that this would be taken seriously and forthrightly by people who care about it so that an ATS court would not be a corruptive or negative experience for those involved. In fact we all may have something to learn about it--to the point of making sure the T and C guidelines are enforced in a public venue so that people can get the message.

What other way can members get the message to cease and desist negatively toward others?

[edit on 16-10-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
One problem with an ATS court. ATS is not a brave new world. What it is, however, is a privately owned site. We can lose our rights to post here at any time, should those who own the place, or those they appoint to ensure it runs smoothly decide that our presence is no longer required. We have no power to judge here, and nor should we, we are their guests. At the end of the day, it is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship.

Hey Imp,as long as we know the rules its pretty fair really.The mighty Mods and 3 Amigoes won`t chuck you for anything not stated in the rules...
Im sorry if you have had a bad experience here.
I think if i ran a board,i would reserve the right to ban anyone too.
Hope i`m not busting in on a conversation i know nothing about...

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ok, ATS court? That's why we have moderators, supermoderators, and the Admin. I don't believe that everything is a choice call usually by a single moderator when something serious arises. That would be why we have different "rankings" of moderators here. It's to have a ladder to work through.

ATS court in my opinion, would be nothing more than added drama on this site. I could just imagine who would take who to court constantly on lord knows what.

As for ignoring people. The first time I ignored someone (it was over something really stupid), I didn't know how to get to my ignore list to take the person off.

Then I discovered how, and took the person off immediately. It does nothing for a thread if you put a person on ignore. The thread will be bumped without you reading what information bumped it, people will respond to the ignored and you won't know why, and the only person you'll end up screwing is yourself.

I do think, however, that ignoring someone short term (say, 45 min) can be a very helpful tool. At times we all get heated up over something that goes on in our community. A cool off period can help, before you realize one thing over everything else.

It's only ATS.

Of course, if you feel the need to ignore a sizable percentage of the people who are on at the same time as you, the solution to your problem may be a lot more localized that you previously thought.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Quick, Ceci, why don't you shovel EVEN MORE work on the mods! Throw on some meanless bureacracy to go with it, why don't you?

The system works, and have thirty or forty trials a day isn't practical. You have an issue with someone, do what the rest of us do- ignore them, or talk to a mod. Or, as suggested, don't start fights. It's really simple, you know. As an example, some people are having a discussion about the merits of a forum...so it might be advisable NOT to pop in and imply they're all racists, hmm?

DE

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
DE, I suppose you're the one calling them racists. Careful. They might not like that.

In fact, it still boggles my mind how race is brought into this topic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwise, my proposition stands. I hope that the person who first brought up ATS court will do so again in a future thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
What other way can members get the message to cease and desist negatively toward others?

Oh gee, I don't know, you could always just KNOCK IT OFF.

other members would see an example of the type of behavior that occurs on the board when it deals with negativitiy.

If members want to see negative behavior all they have to do is go to slugfest and click on that gawd-awful race relations thread. It's not that hard to do. And I'm sure ALL the mods are painfully aware that it is there.

Seriously .. everything you are calling for is already a job the mods do. Everything. But hey .. go ahead and call for it if you want. It's just a redundant job. But whatever.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
ATS has tried may things before and for some reason they do not stick long enough.

I think that the way things are handle now works pretty good.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Not at all. I make that comment without trying to convey anything negative. It's just the way it is. Yes there are rules. Did I say otherwise? The point is that the power to decide who stays and who goes does not rest with us, the membership, but the owners of the site. It isn't a democracy.

I'm sorry you took my comment to be in some way negative. That certainly wasn't what I was trying to convey.

[edit on 16/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think you're right. It is about time to use the system.

Otherwise, I don't see ATS court as a burgeoning mess. I see it as another forum for members who have a legitimate redress to debate their issue in front of a court of their peers and mediate a sense of closure for a conflict that would otherwise go on for months, if not years.

We desperately need mediation as a tool for stopping the negativity while sending a message that bullying will not be tolerated. I think ATS court has a lot of merit and can only help the mods and supermods by letting members deal with their situations proactively in a peaceful manner.

This is a board of thought and discussion, is it not? It is only fair that we allow a venue for disputes to be settled systematically through the very notion of what this board was created.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I agree with Deus to an extent on this problem and solution. An ATS Court would mean that everyone would be scrutinized under close watch. That is what the moderators, supermods, administrators, and the Los Tres Amigos de ATS are here for. To have an ATS Court would mean that it would take longer for a person to be banned that actually needs banned, i. e. plagarism, fighting, and but not limited to physical and or sexual harrasment. This is the reason why there is not an ATS Court. It takes maybe a week, I'm just guessing because I don't really know now do I want to know or find out, for a member to get completely banned when something strange has been noticed or reported.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
We're already scrutinized under close watch as it is. In fact, some members have taken it upon themselves to be "mod wannabes" when trying to lord over others regarding behavior. It happens all the time.

However, we need a place for mediation apart from the thread in question in which both sides can be impartially heard without ridicule and derision. Perhaps, a forum for ATS "mediation" (if not court) would allow one other person to act as a mediator while monitoring the "discussion" between the two parties in question. Then, suggestions would be made, a document agreeing to the terms would be written and taken up the chain of command: the mods, super-mods and the Three Amigos. They still have a right to decide what happens.

A supermod or the Three Amigos would okay or give their stamp of approval on the document settling the dispute. And if both members violate the terms of the agreement, then, the members involved would be post-banned a week for not following through regarding the terms discussed during mediation. Until the two members agree, the post-ban will be continue to be enforced.

It seems very effective.

But members have a way of redressing their grievances and talking in mediation before the situation escalates. It's a win-win situation, if you think about it. The thread does not get stopped due to petty disagreements. The T and C will be enforced by a proactive discussion of it. Mods and super-mods will still do their job. And the members have a way to blow off the steam instead of letting it stew week after week as the negativity and taunting becomes more and more vicious by the same members as each thread goes by.

Okay then. Maybe not ATS court, but ATS mediation perhaps?

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
** Generic 'you' .. not you they see all.

[edit on 10/16/2006 by FlyersFan]

don't worry, i know...

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
WOW!!!!

Guess what????

We already have a "Court."

We have a Three Panel Jurist.. 'Three Amigo's'

We have a Jury of our peers.. 'MODS'

So are we recreating the wheel?

OR "more" likely..

""Appropriate Music Here""

"Someone" was not happy with a MODs "Decisions" and is seeking redress in another "venue."

""End" Appropriate Music""

Man I love this "Quote" game..

MOD's Rule..

""Look"" No "edits"

Semper

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Oh my!!!

You'd think this was a court of law.

Whats with all the moaning?

This is a place where we socially gather to place our thoughts and opinions. You're all going to get old and wrinkled before your time.

Loosen up, my friends, relax and enjoy what we do have.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by dgtempe]

BTW, I have a certificate in mediation- I can do it for free for ATS.

Do we need to come to that???

[edit on 16-10-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hey, it's fine. It is only a suggestion. Not an edict.

But mediation helps quite a deal. It is nothing to joke about--especially when no other way has been affective in properly confronting one's accuser. It's about time we had a place in which to discuss our grievances properly.

People can think of this suggestion as a joke all they would like. I don't truly care. However, I think a forum for mediation would be a lot better than what has happened to clog up space and time on the board due to long, drawn out disputes. That's where the true gridlock happens.

If people don't want to u2u each other and would still like to settle their differences, mediation is perfect. It still allows autonomy and it doesn't convey the perception of someone "whining" to the mods. Instead, both parties would sit down and settle the disagreement in formal terms to be carried out on the board according to the T and C guidelines. Those are the laws that govern here. There shouldn't be any problem against what is being said. Mediation would be an extension of enforcement by allowing members to settle disputes quickly and expediently themselves without the use of taunting. During mediation, members would say what needs to be said to the impartial person overseeing the process.

They have mediation and courts in the real world, why not on ATS? It has nothing to do with stressing one's self out. It does have to do with ending some of the petty behavior on the board so that all of our experiences can be worthwhile here.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
HEY!!!!

Guess what???

We have that too...

Here you go..

Politics Head to Head

MAN Ain't ATS great....????

They give us everything.

ps. I'm betting that even if it's not really politically related, as such, they would let you still "air" your differences..

WOW... This place has it ALL!!!

Semper

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

They have mediation and courts in the real world, why not on ATS?

*drumroll please*

Because...

This is the internet, and it is not the real world!

This is an internationally accessed forum based on the rules of the owners. Not only does it go that far, it goes farther. This is a privately owned company, in which you and everyone else have chosen to abide by the rules set forth.

The mods are the mediators. We also have counselors. The 3 Amigos and WOS are the administrative branch.

Example: Say a moderator stuck me on a post ban, because I was posting highly inflammatory remarks across the board, and causing more disruption than anything else. The problem would be quelled for the short term. The next step would be for an Administrator to review the case, and decide whether I should be allowed to post, or should be sentenced to a beating of the SO Ban Hammer.

It's already judicious.

What's next? Marriage counselors for the married members? Will I take my manwife to ATS Divorce Court because he can't cook worth jack?

Where does it end? And when do I get my decent meal?

[edit on 10/16/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

especially when no other way has been affective in properly confronting one's accuser. It's about time we had a place in which to discuss our grievances properly.

You can 'confront your accuser' in a U2U. It's very effective. It doesn't have to involve the whole board. Of course it wouldn't have the drama or public exposure that a "court" scenario would, but if it's effectiveness you want, then the U2Us work great. I've settled many disputes via U2U.

Sometimes disagreements don't get settled. Sometimes people just don't like each other. It happens all the time. There's nothing that says that people have to get along. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree without either person being christened as "right" by their peers in any given discussion.

Seems like this thread is pretty far off topic. There are now several requests in BQ&B for particular forums. Perhaps you should make a formal request for this ATS mediation court... Just an idea.

Edit: I honestly believe that the board members serve as the court. We all give our opinions on any given matter, say what we think is right or wrong, we actually hold court in public on each and every thread, but there aren't just a few selected members, we all get to have a word. I think that's pretty cool.

[edit on 16-10-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

I'm sorry you took my comment to be in some way negative. That certainly wasn't what I was trying to convey.

[edit on 16/10/06 by Implosion]

Hey ,understood Implosion,i know what you mean i think.I could have phrased my comment better.I didn`t mean to imply your comment as Negative,Friend For you are not.

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is great!!!

A simple thread to discuss "ignore" quantities is turning into what may be a flame fest. How entertaining.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join