It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can only ignore 10 posters but at least 20 are behaving badly

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I find my information rubs the masses the wrong way so I get loads of insults which I can't ignore because the ignore option only allows you to ignore 10 people.

Thousands of people are here so 10 is way too small a limit to set. It means that the negative abusive people can always get their way because there's no way to shut them all out of a conversation between intelligent civil folks.

So I'm begging the Owners of the site to set the limit to 100 so that civility can exist for the people who have controversial information that makes people react badly

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Wow!

I can honestly say I have never once ignored a member.

Remember, Deny Ignorance is the motto of ATS. If we are ignoring the ignorant, how can we deny it?

If members are behaving in a manner they should not, use the Complain button and a Moderator will take the appropriate actions. I honestly believe ignoring them outright is not the answer.

Sometimes our discussions may become heated, the trick is to not take it personal.

(Hopefully I'm not on ignore, and you can read this)

[edit on 15-10-2006 by chissler]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Theres a difference between having a discussion and being a troll or retard.

I have 8 on my list and I dont think Ive had a discussion with any of them.

Ignoring them is the answer and its the only way to get rid of trolls.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What if they change their ways and begin to post remarkably?

I'm disgustingly optimistic most of the time, my apologies for that.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   

What if they change their ways and begin to post remarkably?

Good point, I've seen a few that had a rough start. After a few warnings they got the point.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'd like to suggest the removal of the feature all together. It's a function on ATS that I've never used, and I don't think anyone could say anything that would prompt me to put them on "Ignore".

Any problems I've had with rude members or one that become abusive in a debate are swiftly dealt with after sending a note to board staff, without fail.
ATS has the best mods on the net, using the "Complain" form has always worked for me and it assists in keeping staff informed as to what is going on.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Some members are not aware of their behaviour when they first sign up with ATS. It may take a few slaps on the wrist before they come to understand what is and is not acceptable on ATS.

All are deserving of a second shot.

I support Anx on this one. I would support wiping out the ignore fuction all together.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I've only ignored one, it was recent.
And only for a few days.

It was mostly as a personal experiment. And I found that I missed the spewage, not unlike the way some might miss a wart, after removal.
Only, in this case, I was able to have this "wart" reattached. LOL

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I have to admit i've never placed a member on ignore either. Being a mod now i'm not even sure if I still have the option. Even if I did I wouldn't use it.

Just because someone posts something I disagree with does not mean I will or even should place them on ignore, I just don't respond to it and move on.

How on Earth will you ever learn all sides of an issue if you block out those voices that offend you? The ones you place on ignore are probably the very members you should be istening to.

The ignore feature will teach you more about yourself than it will of other members, if only you will not ignore it.

JAK

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The Ignore function is there for a reason, to hopefully allow members who are of a mind that there is no point in continuing a discussion with someone in particular to experience ATS without feeling they are being 'trolled' or their enjoyment of ATS is being imposed upon. Let us remember that there are people in the world who just do not and cannot get along, their viewpoints are in opposition and never the twain shall meet.

Remember too that it can be used not only as a permanent decision but merely a temporary break giving some the opportunity to cool off. If you do not wish to make use of this function you don't have to but ATS is a website for us all to take enjoyment from and some find this a useful option.

Terms And Conditions Of Use

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Bear in mind though that insults are not tolerated here. If any member feels that they are being insulted by another please use the Complain button (preferably including a link to the post in question) which immediately will send an alert visible to all staff whereupon any action deemed required will be taken as soon as possible.

(And no mrwupy, as staff you can't use it even if you want!)

Jak

[edit on 15/10/06 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I have a few on ignore, but I had no idea that 10 was the limit on the ignore list, kinda small for a vast number of members in this forum.

CX

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I've yet to use the ignore function yet, but by christ i've been tempted a few times!

Thats said, i've seen some people on here who judging by some of thier comments, they should have been drowned at birth.....then next minute they might say something intelligent so i'm glad i don't hit that button over there.

I like to think we can all learn something off of even the greatest fool, so if i don't like what i see in someones thread, i just ignore them without actualy pressing the button. I may briefly glance at thier work now and again if it is part of a thread, but unless it is any good, just forget about them.

CX.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Ignoring them is the answer and its the only way to get rid of trolls.

AMEN. A few weeks back I made a firm decision to NOT FEED THE TROLLS. I am working very hard to do that. If you don't feed them; they starve; they wither; and they die.

I'm trying very hard! It's taking a lot of work. I know I'll fall of the 'dont feed the trolls' wagon but I'm determined not to feed them - much like an alcoholic is determined not to drink. Gotta work on it .. minute to minute .. hour to hour...

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I tried it once when I first came to ATS...and I'd bet it was used on one of the regular critics of PBG posts too

I removed it and never bothered again.

There will always be disagreements and if they get out of hand you're best bet is to approach a MOD via U2U and express your opinions or concerns privately.

For the most part I find that ATS posters are able to self-moderate and show some amazing restraint in some cases.

I don't think having 100000 ignores in your pocket is going to make you feel any more secure than having 10 and if they're maxed out it might be time to create your own website or BLOG - *hint hint* where YOU have more control over who can respond.

Probed by grays - I'd love to see you get into blogging and I think it would offer you more control over what kinds of responses you'd get. You could freely recount your experiences and ideas without having to worry about critics flaming your beliefs. All comments could be moderated by you...

Just an idea...not sure you have enough points for it though.

If you do it might be a great outlet for you.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
If you need 100 ignores, then maybe what you really need is a private forum where you can control who joins and who doesn't. I used to have such two such forums on WebTV and such forums I believe are available on MSN and Yahoo.

Your posts are certainly of a very special nature, but the one's I've read don't really seem to be any more controversial than most of the threads here.

[edit on 2006/10/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I only have ignored one person a long time ago while I was trying to see how the Ignore button works

But you know it makes no sense to ignore people because sharing opinions is what ATS is all about.

Learning to let go and not to feel offended or tagged is very hard to do sometimes but after a while you get use to.

And when it comes to trolls in all the time I have been around they have been dealt with very good by the mods.

Patient and never go into a debate you know that it cannot be won with a fighting attitude.

But rather with information and an open mind that is the best way to fight attacks.

And always see things from the funny side of it and not the ugly one.

Good luck

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I used the complaint form when someone was calling for my immediate death by throat slitting. Nothing was done at all. The complaint form only works for some and is not the answer. Maybe I misinterpreted the threat but I sure want the option to ignore such people.

[edit on 15-10-2006 by probedbygrays]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Will you post a link to that post?

If you click on the "single" link above the post, you can post the URL to that page.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by probedbygrays
I used the complaint form when someone was calling for my immediate death by throat slitting.

You really got it bad
I never had anybody calling for my untimely death yet

Just laugh at it, unless that person knows you personally and knows where you live, then you have all the rights to feel intimidated.

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by probedbygrays
someone was calling for my immediate death by throat slitting.

OMG

Seriously folks .. ya' gotta' be careful online. Don't give out personal information if at all possible. Don't say where you live; your real name; your schools; NOTHING. There are some seriously whacked people online these days. You really never know who is on the other side of the computer screen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join