It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sea Monster" of Lake Van, Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It's a few years old. I looked for any reference on ATS but couldn't find any. If there are any previous posts, please remove this thread.

Ok..that said. What do you think this is? Here is the link to the video, and here's the story link.
It looks sort of like a giant squid or octopus to me.

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by darklanser]

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The head, or at least I think it's a head, looks somewhat like a hippo. Interesting find.

In all of these mysterious sea creatures, why haven't a single one of them shown their head beyond the surface of the water? I mean, they always seem to lurk right beneath the surface, so you can barely see their outline and the top of their head. To me, this seriously affects their credibility to be a genuine unknown creature. In all of those Loch Ness videos/pics, and oter creatures, why does it only show tiny parts of it's body?

Here is a link to a movie, showing Champ, the alleged monster living in Lake Champlain. If's kinda funny listening to the guy on tape, as he appears to be scared shyteless.

www.scifi.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I heard about this not too long agom it was actually an artcile on CNN in 2001, so it got international exposure. It turns out Jacque Cousteau was supposed to go to the lake to examine it or observe it. Never heard anything else about what he found, but the fact that he would go is prett impressive...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This is what I believe it is.

From the way it's moving through the water, the tentacles are trailing to the right as the creature swims towards the left. The tentacles are clearly seen in the first few frames.

[Edited on 12-22-2003 by darklanser]

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
cool video and site well done
any more links would be cool.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Nice Post

More things that Swim here

www.mysteriousworld.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Darklanser, that is VERY interesting and compelling theory there. I had never thought of that.

However, I'm unfamiliar with the Lake Van geography and climate. Giant Squid need salt water of course, and also live in VERY deep waters of th ocean.
Does lake van connect to the ocean? If so I suppose it would be possible for something like that to swim in. And most importantly, is Lake van a salt water body?

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenZeroOne
Darklanser, that is VERY interesting and compelling theory there. I had never thought of that.

However, I'm unfamiliar with the Lake Van geography and climate. Giant Squid need salt water of course, and also live in VERY deep waters of th ocean.
Does lake van connect to the ocean? If so I suppose it would be possible for something like that to swim in. And most importantly, is Lake van a salt water body?

You know, I never even thought about that. I was concentrating on the creature...not it's environment. What a great catch 701. I'll do some more research on the type of lake. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Yeah its proably a giant squid, but if its that close to the surface it probably dead or dying.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Ok. More on Lake Van, Turkey:

Situated at 1719 meters above sea level it receives a few short streams but has no outlet. That is why its waters are unusually rich in sodium carbonate and other salts extracted by evaporation and used as detergents. Swimming in these brackish, "soda" waters, where the only surviving fish is the herring, may result as an original experience, indeed.
Due to the annual inflow, higher than evaporation, the lake level continues to rise: several peninsulas have become islands during the 19th and 20th centuries. In the 1986-1995 time period a dramatic 2.16 m rise in water level occurred.
There is little left from the original dense wood along its shores. The only remains of ancient woods are in a very small region on the southwestern shore. The intensive pasture of huge Kurdish herds and deforestation for firewood erased even the memory.

So it is brackish salt with an abundance of herring. Plenty of food for a large squid population.
There is a reference page that says the Murat/Murad River flows from the lake, and then winds 75km to empty out into the Arabian Sea. Whether this it the same river, I don't know yet. Still searching.

Another interesting fact. On the video in the close-up shots of the creature, it's moving right to left. Just in front of the creature the water is sort of bubbling. This may explain it.

Squid have more than one way to get around. One way is to cruise at slow speeds using the paired fins at the rear of the mantle, combined with gentle, rhythmic pulses of water pushed out of the mantle cavity through the funnel. Squid expand the mantle cavity by contracting sets of muscles within the mantle, water fills the expanded space, the muscles relax, and the elastic mantle then snaps back to a smaller size, jetting water out through the funnel. The jet of water closes the flaps on either side of the squid's head so water can exit only through the funnel. This rhythmic flow of water is also the way in which squid breathe. As water passes in and out, the gills are refreshed with oxygen.

[Edited on 11-11-2003 by darklanser]

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Just curious Darklanser, but did you come up with the giant squid theory? If so, I think that's quite a find.

That sounds like one of the best theories into what this thing is I've heard...
I wonder if any scientists who have studied the video have thought about that? Or if they immediately dismissed it as a hoax...

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenZeroOne
Just curious Darklanser, but did you come up with the giant squid theory? If so, I think that's quite a find.

That sounds like one of the best theories into what this thing is I've heard...
I wonder if any scientists who have studied the video have thought about that? Or if they immediately dismissed it as a hoax...

As far as I know, I guess I am. All the other theories about this particular crypto seem to point towards a classic sauropod. My belief is that Lake Van harbors an Architeuthis dux type creature.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by darklanser
It's a few years old. I looked for any reference on ATS but couldn't find any. If there are any previous posts, please remove this thread.

Ok..that said. What do you think this is? Here is the link to the video, and here's the story link.
It looks sort of like a giant squid or octopus to me.

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by darklanser]

Finding this thread seems the perfect place to put a story I found tonight about another "Lake Monster" story involving a cephalopod. If this turns out to be a hoax I'd only be mad because I didn't think of it first!

www.arkansasnews.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Lake Van doesn't have the biomass, the salt or the geography to support a cephlapod.

Lake Van is a relatively shallow deepest point about 330 ft. has only one known inhabitant a small herring like fish in small quantitiies, and is brackish

It was formed by volcanic action a million years ago so has never had contact with the ocean.

It has no outlets so nothing can swim upstream.

There are no know fresh water or land dwelling cephalopods, so the squid thing though a nice idea doesn't hold alot of water.

Besides look at the video it was shot from a fixed angle.
the thing looks like a godzilla versus the smog monster leftover being towed by a rope.

It's a ploy to draw tourists....

hrxll

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
must be something else, either a hoax or something else.

the last part of the video has the "head" extremely close to the shore line, because you can see the waves retreating back from the beach head.

IMO its a joke

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thats my feeling too, a hoax. If it were a squid it would be too close to the shore to move with its "wings" undulating. And if it were moving in its "jet propulsion" way, it would be gone too fast for a cameraman to keep up.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
think i won't try that beach

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It doesn't appear to be a hoax to me but admittedly the video clip is quite grainy and short. It does resemble clips at Loch Ness though that I have seen before.

top topics

join