It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do American's And Canadian's Bicker?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm sick of people saying all of us in the United States are dumb, we're not!

Nobody said all.

But National Geographic has done a study of 18-24-year-olds from a few different countries. USA was not the lowest (Mexico) but was next in line.

Some info:

In a nation called the world's superpower, only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map, according to a new worldwide survey released today.

About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.

Despite the threat of war in Iraq and the daily reports of suicide bombers in Israel, less than 15 percent of the young U.S. citizens could locate either country.

More young U.S. citizens in the study knew that the island featured in last season's TV show "Survivor" is in the South Pacific than could find Israel.

Particularly humiliating was that all countries were better able to identify the U.S. population than many young U.S. citizens. Within the U.S., almost one-third said that population was between one billion and two billion; the answer is 289 million.

Survey Reveals Geographic Illiteracy

I've experienced the difference first hand.

Oh no! We can't find stuff on maps!?!? Our civilization is doomed!

I mean, what happens if we're ever in a hot air balloon? How will we navigate? We might as well bow down and accept our fate now.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I'm from Wisconsin and have to say I've never heard anyone complain about Canada. In fact I have several friends from Canada that are great people! I've been to Canada twice and enjoyed the visits very much. Especially since I went in the summer. Wouldn't want to go in the winter so much.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that we are bickering? Until I came on ATS, I didn't even realize it was an issue.

<< 1  2   >>

join