It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do American's And Canadian's Bicker?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by COWBOYCON
So why do the 2 countrie's hate on eachother so much?

I had no idea. Seriously. I guess I need to get out more. I know some Canadians and they're completely affable chaps. I thought Canada, along with Great Britain and Australia, were our bestest buddies. You know, only separated by a common language.

A few years ago, way before Katrina, I was in New Orleans and had a great time in a hotel bar with a group from Canada and some guys from Australia. At least I think I did. It's a bit of a blur, but nobody got hurt that I recall. (Man, those guys could put it away).

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I never knew there was any jeolousy/animosity between Americans and Canadians. I've seen some videos of Canadians fighting in Afghanistan, they seem to talk just like us(the only difference I noticed was the northern accent, being a southerner this sticks out to me the most.) Canadians are people just like Americans, and Americans are people just like Candians. To quote Lynyrd Skynyrd, "sometimes we forget, we aint much different at all." I love our neighbors to the north, good folk just like most of us on this board, no matter where youre from.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The United States and Canada share the longest peaceful non-militarized border in the world.

Any cross border barbs are just talk, nothing else. Since we (the U.S.) are so much larger than Canada, sometimes they can seem overwhelmed as PM Trudeau said, Canada living next to the United States is like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how nice and even tempered the beast is, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.

[edit on 10/18/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Here's another thought-

Who do you bicker with the most in your life? How about when you were growing up? I'm guessing it was probably with a sibling. So harken back with me now...

You're back in your childhood in the front yard giving your irritating brother what-for. Really going at it and it looks to onlookers like you're about to kill each other. A neighbor kid decides to get involved and whacks your brother in the back. What happened next? Likely as not, you and your brother suddenly jump the neighbor kid and clobber him good.

It's like, "I can hit him because he's my brother, but nobody else better". Maybe not a great analogy, but I can assure you, even if Canadians and Americans "bicker", anybody decides to throw down on Canada and we'll be all over 'em like moles on Grandma, and be damned glad to do it.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantlyWondering
Thank Canada for Pam Anderson.

I wish Canada would take that skank back. The fact that she's a lot of people's idea of what a "hot" woman is is laughable. Pam Anderson is

Americans bicker with Canadians because Canadians are all a bunch of hosers.

Peace

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Americans bicker with Canadians because Canadians are all a bunch of hosers.

Take off, eh?

Oh, and here's another list of some famous Canadian Women (minus the skank):

Tricia Helfer

Kristen Kreuk
Natasha Henstridge
Carrie-Anne Moss

Evangeline Lilly (Lost anyone?)
Rachel Blanchard
Rachel McAdams
Anna Paquin
Claire Brosseau
Neve Campbell
Kim Cattrall
Sandra Oh
Rae Dawn Chong
Elisha Cuthbert
Avril Lavigne
Shannon Tweed
Deborah Kara Unger (Silent Hill)
Kate Vernon (Battlestar Galactica)
Estella Warren

Oh, and there's other great talent like John Candy, Eugene Levy, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, Mike Meyers, Matt Frewer (Max Headroom), and even the freaking Smoking Man.

So yeah, you can scratch Pam Anderson off if we can scratch Juliette Lewis off. How people find her attractive, I'll never know.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think it's because Canadians pronounce the word "ABOUT", like A-BOOT.
And Curling? What the heck kind of a sport is that?
And the Canadian Mounted Police don't even carry guns!
C'mon, every American knows the importance of carrying guns, and I don't mean little guns, I mean BIG ones. I mean, just look how safe our streets and schools are here in the USA.

I obviously say this tongue in cheek. I wasn't aware that there were any bickering between Nations. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but that I'm not aware of it.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
My experience as an Englishman who has had much experience of both Americans and Canadians is that some Americans do put Canada down a bit. Not all Americans, but some. And it gets a bit old. The 51st state and all that.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo

It's like shuffle board...with ice AND beer.

What? Maybe when they do some crappy horse riding demo or something. They're armed, believe me. maybe you're thinking of England.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Originally posted by lombozo

It's like shuffle board...with ice AND beer.

What? Maybe when they do some crappy horse riding demo or something. They're armed, believe me. maybe you're thinking of England.

Is it really true that UK police don't carry guns with them? I've heard that they don't, but I think it would be easy to overpower them if they didn't.

[edit on 19-10-2006 by Mimbster]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Well Canadians don't need tonnes of guns. Unlike the states guns are semi hard to get here. I don't hate the states I just hate how american think they are way better then us. Canada owns more land then the states. If everyone in canada was given equal land each person would own 4 acres of land THATS TONNES. Thats including children every person. American is pretty cool canada is just a bit more peaceful.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Nationalism, plain and simple.

The US citizens are brainwashed every day, by being told that the US is THE free country, and the 'best' country in the world.

That is absolutely true! Any show that has a scene with the US military would say "this is the best and most advance in the world."

edit to fix typo

[edit on 20-10-2006 by wildcat]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   

"Americans bicker with Canadians because Canadians are all a bunch of hosers.
Peace
"

Yeah, take off, eh. They're jealous of our superior beer and french-fry concoctions. And the donuts, eh.
It's the softwood lumber? That sounds dirty, eh.

[edit on 20-10-2006 by clearwater]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
i love arguing online about how great canada is.. i mean it is a great place to live..

ok couple problems i have tho... here on the west coast in bc at least, we think americans say A-BOOT but i always hear online they think we say that.. i think there mistaking newfies for canadians or something hahahahaha just kidding we love our newfs..

i love saying ehh.. not really online but in RL i say ehh at least 200 times a day, probly more.. i can use it 5 times in one sentence no problems and nobody well look at u twice for sayin it here its great.. id stick out like a sore thumb past the first line of states

ehh has more meanings then any word on the earth im sure of it.. id try to list our meaning but its to hard.. we just understand it, alot of its tone of voice to..

ok words american butcher.. water - wah-ter

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I never knew there was any jeolousy/animosity between Americans and Canadians. I've seen some videos of Canadians fighting in Afghanistan, they seem to talk just like us(the only difference I noticed was the northern accent, being a southerner this sticks out to me the most.)

Ive actually found that Canada has a variety of accent's. The martimer's sound almost Irish in a sense, and some part's in the back wood's of the west, you even get an almost...I'll call it a western Canadian accent.

But It is true when me and my Pa hitchhicked around Europe you get a whole hell of alot of America hater's. Like ive stated though I don't mind you American's at all, I think you guys are a little Insecure at time's though.

But what i don't understand is how intense we get over politic's. Im not a fan of Mr.Bush, I dont hate republican's though or Democrate's. But I also get riled up when We Canadian's complain about how the state's know's nothing of us: THEY CAN'T, THEY WATCH AMERICAN NEWS, KEY WORD...AMERICAN. The Candian stories on that last 2 minutes on it because it's not American, take the Quebec school shooting, that was intense but it didn't hit American news very long.
(At least from what I watched)

But It was a little ridiculous when you couldn't name are Prime Minster Jean Chreiten. He was a cursty guy, I wonder who would win in a fight? Just for A lAugh Anyhow.

Him or Bush. Not anyother's though becayse I mean Martin Was a Wus, Maybe Harper Could. I Bet He Bite's And Kick's. Hahahaha

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Isn't Canada a suburb of Chicago?

just kidding of course. Back in ancient times, when I was in High school, I dropped out of a Honors Chemistry class and the only other class available for me to take was Canadian Geography.

The instructors lessons consisted of his home movies of his families vacations in various parts of Canada.

I can't say that I learned a lot about Canadian geology, but I did gain a much better understanding with our neighbor to the North. I still long to make some of my own "home movies" of my families vacations there one day.

Someone in a previous post hit the nail on the head when they mentioned Nationalism as the reason for the animosity and even hatred of other countries.

An essay by George M. Taber, a Time contributor, noted: “Of all the political "isms" of history, perhaps the strongest is nationalism.” He went on to explain: “More blood has been shed in its name than for any other cause except religion. Demagogues for centuries have stirred up fanatical mobs by blaming all their troubles on some neighboring ethnic group.”

Nationalism is a scourge upon mankind. It has served to divide man & is a principle impediment to the establishment of global peace.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Ya Nationlism is something that alway's causes bad relation's. Pride certaintly does ruin a whole hell of alot of things. Pride always seem's to be the root of evil, I bet Pirde has something to do with why Bush won't leave Iraq. I mean he seem's to be quite the Stubborn guy, Like the battle he's Puttin up to Keep Rumsfeld on.

But what about Nationlism. Could there Be A Way to get away from it?

Maybe I have. I Love Canada, dont get me wrong im very proud and patriotic of one of the last lan'ds on earth to still harper untamed wilderness. But, I always find that American's (No offense, I like you guys actually) are always hit with the feeling that your country is the best. By your new's, your elder's and your politicans.

We can't blame you for that though. Canada would probably be the same way...

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I say its because canadian chicks are hotter.....whhahaaaaa!!!!
It always comes down to women...... Just look at Iraq, Clinton bombed Iraq again during his term to try and distract the american people from his women problem....whahahaaa!!

Relax...Joke.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I actually prefer the fact that we have such a small population. You can get land here so easily... we've barely touched the wilderness here. I love going on camping trips... only, there's no way in hell CAA is going to come out to tow you in those areas.

A couple of days ago, one of my US customers actually thought Canada was part of the state of Ohio... he thought it was a freaking city! That's the kind of thing that gets on my nerves. It's not that it's Canada they're being ignorant about... it's the fact that they could be ignorant to any country on earth. One of the surveys I thought was hilarious was the one that pointed out that most US citizens were hopeless in pointing out countries on a globe. Some of the countries I remember they had them try were Iraq, Japan, and France.

It's the education of the US that startles me... the education of a country is the one thing that will depict it's ability to compete in the future... and for some reason, it seems to be the one thing the voters down there don't care about.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

I think he was talking about your boy scouts...err, I mean border patrol

I've noticed that Americans rarely talk bad about Canadians, yeah we have our jokes about curling and lame Canadian TV....but they're just jokes.

Anyways, I've claimed to be Canadian a few times. When asked about my accent I say I from Toronto and have lived in NY for awhile

Canada's National Treasure!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join