It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do American's And Canadian's Bicker?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Let me start by sayin. Im A Canuck.

So I Say Eh, I see Plenty of Wood's and I listen to Gordon Lightfoot. Haha

But seriously, Ive always thought of this. Why is it, that Yanks And Canuck's Can't seem to get along. WHEN WER SO SIMILAR! Like when Canadian's get called a bunch of commie Pinko's...

Well go to Alberta, It's Like Texas. With Snow haha

Or When The American's Get called a Bunch of reckless Rednecks.

Go to California, it's Like B.C. With less Snow haha.

So why do the 2 countrie's hate on eachother so much?

It's stupid! I can understand little playfull remarks. But Ive seen it get serious and it's such a piss of!

So what the in the firey hell do u guys think?

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Nationalism, plain and simple.

I see it usually coming from the US, directed at Canada. Most Canadians remark on how tired they are of the US being ignorant towards them.

The US seems to have this idea that anything foreign is bad.

Canadians celebrate the fact that they have foreigners in their borders.

The US citizens are brainwashed every day, by being told that the US is THE free country, and the 'best' country in the world. Once accustomed to this, if they see another country that has it better, they cannot come to terms with it, and immediately look for something about it they can hate.

We Canadians usually take this with a grain of salt and move on. But sometimes they can be just too damn ignorant, and you have no choice but to put them in their place.

Sometimes it's more fun to tease them and make them think that we actually do live in igloos and ride dog sleds... the one I like to tell them is it's winter here all year... so many of them fall for that one.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
We're just like relatives living too close to each other and wanting to differentiate ourselves.

I don''t think there's any true dislike between the citizens of each nation.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Keep in mind the whole population of Canada is smaller then the state of California.

It's like a little brother thing. A little brother with great beer and some really hot girlfriends who all snowboard...in bikinis.

Americans are jealous.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yeah right, ya guys keep watching that Molson commerical to show how you Canucks are patriotic and different from us Yanks because you guys are losing your identity to American style of living. Thats jealousy there. You can't accept the fact that the majority of Canadians are similar to Americans in almost everyway that is based on Americanized version of living.

Ya know ya like it.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Maybe Ive been living in the fog, but I had no Idea we were fighting in the first place.

Besides, why would we in the US get pissed off at anything Canada thinks about us. Theyre like, not even a real country or anything.

(before I get flamed, I was KIDDING about the last statement, but serisously.......were supposed to be arguing with the canucks about something?)

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I didn't know Canadians had any problem with Americans...I just thought it was Americans that had a problem with everyone.

Oh SNAP!

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
You can't accept the fact that the majority of Canadians are similar to Americans in almost everyway that is based on Americanized version of living.

We can look like you, can sound like you, we could be living right next door and you would have no idea. One day we'll take over and you'll never see it coming.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Thank Canada for Pam Anderson. Not to mention all the comedians that America loves are Canadian. Mike Meyers for starts. We should buy a Canadian a drink whenever we meet one. Thanks Canada!

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

We can look like you, can sound like you, we could be living right next door and you would have no idea. One day we'll take over and you'll never see it coming.

If I woke up and found that out, I rather commit suicide than live under Kanada's rule with that awful Maple Leaf flag of yours.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

If I woke up and found that out, I rather commit suicide than live under Kanada's rule with that awful Maple Leaf flag of yours.

Ahhh yes, the US rule is just sooooo much better don't you think? But, I see we can count on you to help us out in the end and off yourself. Americans are so silly. We didn't even have to Jedi mindtrick this one.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Heres some tips on how to be a nationalist Canuck.

www.frontpagemag.com...

Tip#1—Insist that you are not like "those Americans."
Tip #2—Make constant excuses for America’s enemies.
Tip #3—Get really mad that Americans don’t know anything about Canadians.
Tip #4—Watch the Molson commercial over and over again.
Tip #5—Put down American television.
Tip #6—Get back to saying how you are not like "those" Americans.
Tip #7—Imagine that you are a victim of American "imperialism."
Tip #8—Oppose Quebec separatism for the need of self-definition.
Tip #9—Avoid the reality of being an American.
Tip #10—Watch the Molson Commercial.

[edit on 17-10-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Socialized Health Care would want you to commit suicide? And here I thought people in America commited suicide because they cannot afford healthcare and eat at the same time.

I take it you've never actually visited my country before...

Thank you for also illustrating the point of many Canadians(nationalist and otherwise) of many of our arguments with that little "list" of yours.
Couldn't have done it better myself.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
ZZZ' makes a great point. Two great points actually.

Yes, Canada's populace will fit within the "footprint" of Californian population - no problemo. That's significant. Think about it. Speaking of population, today is the day the USA will break the 300,000,000 mark, congratulations! I remember when it was 200 million... about '67 or '68. LBJ was pres and made a couple of pretty good speeches on it. BTW: Happy International Eradicate Poverty Day, too.

The other point made about the "Canadian" stealth factor. America (and the rest of the world for that matter) have far higher percentages of Canadians as integral-to-media that even many Canadians may even be aware of in a great many languages. Canadians are everywhere in media and for the nation's population way over-represented numerically. I kinda like that.

I don't feel a need to bicker with any American as an individual but as two unique sovereign nations we have some big-time troubles in relating to each other's nation in a fair and sustained equitable manner and a planning consultation process. Much must be repaired.

Now that the border is no longer the "world's longest undefended border", perhaps it is time to diverge our two shared histories with a DMZ barrier on the Canadian side say a mile wide "no-person's land" so when the US Blackhawks start shootin' Canadians by accident we'll have a clear demonstration of airspace violation.

The point that was made about nationalism is very valid. Pride, in country has caused many a conflict, so has greed.

BTW: A Canuck at the border can be "hear-sayed" into a life isolation-sentence without being allowed access to all evidence or right of habius corpus. That was signed today too.

On a more co-operative tone the US, Canada and the Brits are going to do a study on IED's that was in the news today, too.

dj' had it about right... sorta relatives, friends-kinda, but we both should build bigger unshared "fences" to secure that we don't have a "domestic" incident across the fence. Neither sisters is fun to be around when upset or angered. Both sibling nations have a lot of work to do to feel secure and comfortable enough that neither is a threat to the other on the 'Seaway, Great Lakes or across the fence.

Quite likely this will be "the price of doing business in the New American Century", might as well get used to it.

Victor K.

43'

[edit on 17-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Keep in mind some Americans might be jealous because the majority of Canadians actually knew where Afganistan was on a map before the war on terror.

It's also well known when travelling that Canadians are liked...and Americans lie and claim to be Canadian.

[edit on 17-10-2006 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Keep in mind some Americans might be jealous because the majority of Canadians actually knew where Afganistan was on a map before the war on terror.

Maybe theres a conspiracy as to why Canadians knew more about Afghanistan than us Yanks.

It's also well known when travelling that Canadians are liked...and Americans lie and claim to be Canadian.

Its true, we are all spies.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I knew where Afghanistan was since I was like in middle school geograpy :shk:

I'm sick of people saying all of us in the United States are dumb, we're not!

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I can honestly say that if I have heard five minutes of conversation from Americans about Canadians in my life, that would probably be a gross overestimate.

One of my best friends in the Marine Corps was Canadian and we still talk or correspond from time to time and just before I left my position with the state, we had two Canadians come to work there, but their nationality was hardly worthy of note.

I have come to learn from this website that Canadians hold Americans in low esteem, but I have always admired the Canadians whom I have known.

Maybe in the Northern parts of the US, Americans worry themselves with Canadian affairs, but so far I haven't met one.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm sick of people saying all of us in the United States are dumb, we're not!

Nobody said all.

But National Geographic has done a study of 18-24-year-olds from a few different countries. USA was not the lowest (Mexico) but was next in line.

Some info:

In a nation called the world's superpower, only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map, according to a new worldwide survey released today.

About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.

Despite the threat of war in Iraq and the daily reports of suicide bombers in Israel, less than 15 percent of the young U.S. citizens could locate either country.

More young U.S. citizens in the study knew that the island featured in last season's TV show "Survivor" is in the South Pacific than could find Israel.

Particularly humiliating was that all countries were better able to identify the U.S. population than many young U.S. citizens. Within the U.S., almost one-third said that population was between one billion and two billion; the answer is 289 million.

Survey Reveals Geographic Illiteracy

I've experienced the difference first hand.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Their are other issues too... like Canadians feeling "safe" in the United States. here' an example from a Toronto Star that outlines the concerns of some.

And like Canadian's feeling "safe" in Canada as it seems the US Coast Guard wants to "tune-up" with live-fire exercises in designated areas of the Great Lakes as in this CBC online article.

Seems at times it is hard to keep one's pets under control too and in one's own country as in this other CBC link.

Canada is not fault-without either as we seem ready to refuse the American anti-bottom trawling initiative in it's current form.

Victor K.

43'

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join